Huge infected wound **very graphic**

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so very sorry for the passing of your sweet Kalila. You were a great rattie parent. You stepped up and gave her a loving home, probably the only real home she ever had. She passed knowing she was loved. You did everything right for her. Sending you hugs.

I am so very sorry.
You gave Kalila a wonderful week of love and caring.
You did your best for her and were there, loving her until the end.
You made sure that Kalila knew she was loved and that she didn't have to go through this alone.
Everything you did made a huge difference for Kalila.
The time was way too short but you gave your beautiful little girl a wonderful life.
It hurts way too much and your heart is broken, but know that she loved you and you did the right thing.
Thank you for caring enough to take her home, give her a name, love her and do your best for Kalila.

:hugs:

Last edited:
Thank you so much for everyone's condolences. It means a lot to me and I'm very glad I found this forum. Because of you guys Kalila had an extra week of life and the chance to live. I only had her for a short time but I miss her so much. It's so weird seeing her empty cage. Eventually I will probably fill it with a couple rescue rats but not until her vet bills are paid off and I save up a rat vet fund. They are the sweetest creatures.

I really want to thank all the people who donated to Kalila again. It means the world to me. I don't know if they want their names said publicly or not so I won't, but thank you so much. The people on this forum are really amazing and I'll be sure to stick around to keep learning about rats.

I'm so sad for you. Please don't doubt yourself and your decisions, which made perfect sense. I'm glad that you were with her at the end. Let's think of her at the Bridge, grateful that you cared so much and gave her a chance at life and a week of love.

Last edited:
I agree with what everyone has already told you! I will add though, you took an alone, abandoned, scared, sick, old rat out of a situation no rat should be in. You made sure she had the warmth of hammocks, a home, places to snuggles, good food, and most important - you made her feel loved and wanted. You made sure she passed surrounded by love and not alone. Perhaps her brief time with you was all that was needed for her. As I see it, she created a new rat parent, that in her memory will continue to rescue more rats in need and show them the love she received, if only for a week. She did not leave this world in vain she had a purpose and you will remember her everytime you look in that cage once its full again. RIP sweet girl !

I was just thinking what a great vet you have -- willing to give a risky surgery a try, calling you in the night with updates and making sure that you were with Kalila at the end.

I'm glad that you plan to have rats in future. They are the best!

I was so hoping not to be reading about this. It is so very heartbreaking.

I hope you know that you did all you could & surgery was the only option to give her a longer life, But as others have said - the infection just had a hold on her, it was in her system and beyond what anyone could fix. She got a lifetime of love with you even though it was for only a few days.
For closure you can ask the vet any questions you might have. It will help somewhat. But I know that you wanted to have much more time with her.
The person(s) that allowed her to get that bad off without intervention should be ashamed of theirselves.

God bless you for the love you have in your heart for His critters.
I am so sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
Thank you again for all the support and condolences. It really means a lot to me. I'm very glad I found this forum and that she had a chance to live. That wouldn't have been possible without you guys. I brought her body home with me and I'm going to bury her in the garden when the ground thaws. Her life was probably hell but at least she will have a peaceful burial site.

Back