How we choose ratty names

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are named after Harry Potter characters (most of them).

Angus and Arthur were named because I wanted some Scottish names that I would never name a child.

Lenny, again a name I would never give a child.

The girls I've got are named after flowers.

Clark's boys have kept their names (if they had them when they came). Although the Screamers.....They suit that name and since they are screamers (or were), I like to call them that.

The babies will be named after Harry Potter characters. Momma is Molly, and baby girl is Ginny. The boys are not named yet because I'm still trying to see which character suits them best.

Slava is short for the name Yaroslav, and it came to me in a dream before I got him, so I had to oblige :) and when I got him, he picked it up that it was him right away!
Sashka came about because I realized that Slava needed a buddy, and Slava, Sasha, and Sara all rhyme way too well :nod: well when I got him, Slava was also quite small, and I remember having seen him when I got Slava, so they were roughly the same size---then Slava got BIG apparently I adopted a jumbo rat and a small rat, so I call him little Sasha, or Sashka... what a great pair :giggle:
My third one is Stedman--he was a quite random bout of GGMR--so when I got him, I didn't have a name (he was an agouti, which I've always wanted, so I haddddd to :doh: Given that the entire apartment had names starting in S, of course his did too! On the way back, I saw a sign for a "Stedman" street, and I knew that it was perfect, so he's been our little Steady every since!

Ooo fun!!

I am ashamed to say most of my names have little meaning to them, they are just names that popped into my head or felt right. I'm going to do just the rats over the past year; I could go on for quite some time I think if I did all of them.

Well... Mikey (RIP) was named Mikey automatically. It just fit somehow, and I actually am not a fan of the name at all. But it fit so well I couldn't fight it. And it suited him rather well.

Denny was named Denny because when I got him, he didn't have a name for a month! Just nothing fit him. I was at my sister's at the time, and she tried to help and came up with the worst names ever. So to avoid having to hear any more of her suggestions, I just blurted out Denny. We were going on one of our Grey's Anatomy marathons and had just watched one with a character named Denny (my favorite recurring guest star ever!) and it just happened. That's what started my (almost) theme!

Izzie is pretty self explanitory if you know me. I love Katherine Heigl. I love Grey's Anatomy. Katherine Heigl plays Izzie on Grey's Anatomy. Therefore... Izzie. Plus when he was little he looked like a girl SO much. So it just fit! Plus I had Denny... I had to have his soul mate! :p Denny and Izzie on the show were an item and were spectacular.

Preston's name also came from Grey's Anatomy. Now, I know, there are far more central characters than Preston Burke, but none of the other names fit him. Preston, though, fits him perfectly! As another character says on the show "A guy named Preston is going to get his butt kicked by a squirrel" and that's pretty much Preston's attitude. LOL

Andi my sister named as he was supposed to be "her" rat. Right. :p After Andy Warhol, I believe. Why the 'I' I don't know. It fits, though, amazingly enough... And she hadn't even met him when she named him.

Tip was also named by my sister for the same reason as Andi. It's short for Tiffany. And he's a boy, yes. So I have two boys with girl names. :p But again... It so fits! He is such a girly rat, he is whiny and needy and just reminds me of a prissy girl.

Rubin and Norrin came with their names. :D And they are older so I never even thought about changing theirs.

I helped naming the girls, too. First there was Maude and Iris. John is a HUGE Judd Apatow buff (as am I!) and his two daughters are named Maude and Iris. So John, fancying himself a Judd Apatow prodigy, named his "daughters" Maude and Iris. Also, they (the human Maude and Iris) were in our favorite movie "Knocked Up" which starred... you guessed it, Katherine Heigl. Then Maude 1 died, John got Maude 2. Maude 2 died. And he's on a wait list for Maude 3. He's persistent.

Then little Harlow... I don't know how she got her name, it just happened. We looked at her and it was like... "Well, you're Harlow." And that was it! I hate thinking so, but I'm pretty sure I heard it when Nicole Ritchie named her daughter that, and it must have been stuck in the recesses of my mind and just came out when we saw that pretty little baby rat.

Our recent additions from the rat train were named as follows:

King Albeanie (aka Beanbag) the Second was named in tribute to a boy we recently had who passed on due to PT. I must say it does suit him as his colouring gives him a very regal look (himalayan with dark points).

Sprite was named after the soda pop and it turns out that he has a very spirited nature which suits the name.

Lucretius (Luc/Luke for short) was named after an ancient poet who was born somewhere around the mid-nineties B.C. and is best known for his work "The Nature of Things".

Nietzsche is named after Frederich Nietzsche, a philosopher that I enjoyed reading in my late teens.

dl
:D

Axel, as in Axel Rose of Guns N Roses fame.

and Joey as in Joey Jordison of well...Slipknot, but I loved him as the drummer for the Murderdolls...and he is an insanely tiny young man too, like my Joey >.<

I feel like the worst person ever. I forgot the MC babies. The first, Nina, the name just came to me and that's how that happened. The past 3 I've named after angels and a Saint... I'm not even religious but for some reason it makes me feel better. They get to be angels on earth before they go on to be angels at the bridge. We've had Gabriel and Michaela (Michael's feminine form). And then Jude was the last little girl. St. Jude is the patron saint of lost causes, which is basically what MC is. So.

I have gone through too many names. I used to use ones with meanings that would suit their personalities or colours, but I used all those up. Then, I went with mythology names, and used all those up. Mostly I just use real names - ones that I like. I have a couple of boys named after planes, Comet and Trident from Tara, and the Iron Maiden boys, but I am running out of theme names too.
I might have to start calling boys by girl names. :lol2:

haha well lets see...

Rasputine - My sisters first rat, black hodded , named her before we got her.

Sqeekers - was already named

Queeny, Frenchy and Pinky: came already named as rescue lab rats

Beyonce : -.-;; it was a faze... i sware.. i just called her Bee

and now i have my lovely boys

Thor: god of thunder, viking and also, :3 a Grey alien from stargate
Freyr: Viking name, and also another little grey from stargate
(These two are my little asgaurde!)

I just found this thread. How did I miss it? I love knowing how people came up with their names for ratties!

My first rat, as soon as I saw her, I literally said to my friend, " I am going to get that rat, and her name will be Matilda!" and so she was. Her full name was Matilda Boo, since she had what looked like a ghost face, three black spots on her bum. He nick name was Tilly-boo or Boo-butt.

My second rat that I got to keep Tilly company was Violet. She was just very sweet and calm, and for some reason. whenever I took her outside, she would play right near a patio stone int eh garden that had a violet on it. Now she is buried under that stone.

My next four rats all had Jewel names. Ruby and Pearl were a pair, but people always got them mixed up, as Pearl was a dark grey berk. She has two perfect little white spots on her tummy, and they were her "pearls". Ruby was a REW and had gorgeous dark red eyes, thus rubies.

After Ruby died I got my next two jewels, sisters named Opal and Emerald, though I only ever called them Opie and Emmy.

Then, my friend Emily got two baby rats, and as there were three left, I HAD to buy the third one! All the sisters have P names, Pirate, Penny, and mine, Pepper.

Then I got the two rescue girls from lj, and they came named Daisya nd Poppy, but as I already knew three P names, I changed Poppy to Dahlia, though I mostly call her Dolly.

Now my newest one, my so called "foster" from lj, who I will keep, I think her name will be Cinder. Growing up, I had a cat named Cinders, and her and the ratty actually ave very similar colourings. It may still change, but Cinder just seems to fit her.

Also, the rats that I babysit often, two were named Streak and Smudge, since Streak has a GORGEOUS streak diagonally across her face, and her sister, Smudge had little brown smudges all over her. Smudge has since died, but Streak is still going at 4 years old, and her new little buddies are Ginger and Licorice. Also, my friend EMily who has Penny and Pirate got a new girly rat, who she named Nutter, after the marshmallow spred Fluffernutter, since Nutter is the same colour as fluffernutter.

My two girls Merrick & Pandora are named after characters out of The Vampire Chronicles series of books by Anne Rise.

Pandora was a vampire and Merrick was a sorceress. Still struggling for a few names for a couple of boys and girls of Pandora's. Prob have to wait until i can colour them with food colouring to tell them apart before i give them solid names.

lilspaz68 said:
Hahaha...I hope I am in the "means something to me" rather than the "affected me in some way" category... :laugh4:

What I mean is affected me to change in some way either emotionally, mentally or physically. :thumbup:

Our girls were named a little bit randomly as we got to know them over their first day or two with us:
Yuki was named thus because James (my husband) thought it was a neat name. Honestly I think it is possible she has attention defecit disorder. she is super affectionate but doesn't spent more than 30 seconds (ususlly less) doing any one thing. She will ping back and forth between kisses, playing with her sisters, trying to sneak into the sofa cushins, and then back again.
Bear for two reasons first she looked just like a tiny little bear, and she spent most of her waking hours rifling through the food bowl when she was a baby. We have dubbed her 'gentle bear' as she is the soft hearted deep thinker, and the one who took Doodle under her wing when we first got her.
Doodle was named because when she ran and played it almost looked like she was jumping and singing like little human girls do "doodlie doo - doodlie doo"

Mine are called Beaker and Zelda because I love the name Beaker, the muppet, plus I thought it would be fitting to a rat. Zelda since she is prettier of the 2 girls and I like the game. I love naming my pets!

Back