How we choose ratty names

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

I've noticed that many of you choose such elegant names! Many of you seem to have themes, or you look through lists of names to find something meaningful.

I am way more prosaic. I name them after family members & friends, or musicians! Except for Tia, who got named because the white mark on her tummy looked a bit like a T, and Janie because she just looked like a Janie to me. Two little girls I adopted came already names after classical music composers, so I kept their names.

I'd love to hear about any other ways that Forum members choose pet names.

some came with their names, others the name kinda just came and it stuck. others have some interesting stories behind them too.

in order of appearance:
Pocket: she loved riding in pockets and at the time i couldn't spell cerebues (adn apparently still can't... hade's three headed dog)-pocket suited better anyway.

Lyiint: to go with pocket as i got her as a friend for pocket. so i had pocket, lyiint. the name got mangled in spelling when i tried to use it as a password, it kinda stuck that way, not sure why.... my mother uses it as a pen name for her fanfiction writings now too. i don't know if any of her readers now the real reason behind the name.

Dust & Myght: were christmas gifts and named together. this was back when i kept trying to keep name pairs that separately could stand on their own adn together meant soemthing as well. going with the theme of lyiint's spelling butchering i purposely misspelled myght's name too.

Nezumi: she was my first true rescue. she had quite a long story for her 4 months of life before she came to me. the people (i use that term loosely) that had her before called her critter, snakebait, and rat among other things. when i heard that and looked at her nezumi came to mind instead and she stayed that way until she died at 18 months old.

Spider: was supposed to be part of a name pair (spider and webbs). it was originally thought when i saw how she would scale the cage and hang upside down from the top bars.

Snicketts: was supposed to be webbs in the naming pair with spider, but my mother renamed her snicketts and it stuck, even though to this day my mother can't remember her name....

Iedani: japanese for dustmite. when we were getting her and her daughter kakushi we knew we were losing nezumi and myght to their respective illness and in a way to honor their memories i combined the language of nezumi and myght's name into iedani.

Kakushi: japanese for pocket, in honor of my first rat.

Bea Twix (twix) & B. Tween (tween): she's an aqouti and i happened to pick her up around lunch time and i was hungry. she reminded me of a twix bar and once i called her twix the name seemed perfect. i couldn't think of a name for her sister right away though and i wanted another name pair. so i asked dad for help and he said i should call them betwix and between. i thought that was neat and so called them that. it got shortened down to twix and tween and spelling mangled pretty quick.

Sweetipie: when i first picker her up she started kissing and kissing and kissing. and she looked so odd and familiar at the same time. then it hit me, she reminded me of my best friend. her pet name is sweetipie since we were in elementry school together so i named my new christmas gift after her. the original sweetipie wasn't thrilled at a hairless dumbo being the rat to remind me of her but there it is.

Violet: she came with her name. her nickname was violent though and i don't understand that. she's never once bitten me but she has tried to lick my skin off. she took a bit of convincing to introduce to other rats at first but now at 30 months old she's one of the most tolerant of new comers.

Babydoll: another insta kisser and a sweetheart. by this time my friend had learned about her namesake and i thought to even it out and because she was such a doll that i would give this rat my pet name.

Bribery: i was actually bribed with him. a friend called on st patty's day asking us to come to her place for aprtying but she would only come get us if i went too. my other friend that was with me at the time had a crush on this first friend and after i repeatedly said no, i don't want to go, asked if i could be bought. we were both a little buzzing from the festivities and when i said a neutered breeder bred male he agreed. nearly $100 and we had bribery home and neutered. true to his word he paid for all of it even though the next day when he wore his really cool pants he found out i could have been bought with them just as easily.... :lol:

Ink & Eyes: i was only supposed to get eyes and she was supposed to be called inkeyes (gamer boyfriend was supposed to name the next one) but i came home with 2 instead. eyes has such beautiful and stunning red gems for eyes that there was nothing else to call her really and ink looks like she had a ink pot spilt on her. given her character had i an ink pot she would find a way to spill it on herself. in a round about this was also a name pairing.

Stewart: came with his name. nothing else to say on that.

Sweet-ums-she was just that sweet. unfortunately she died very young.

Smeag: i was watching a lot of red dwarf before stubbling across her. my favorite saying was smeag-head. its just funny to say. i don't know... anyway, thanks to that smeag ended up with her name.

tasche: german for pocket in memory of both pocket and kakushi (she has the same coloring and markings of kakushi which is why i thought of it).

Lydia and Rosie: Came with their names

Magi: shortened form of magic. i started calling him magi instead and it stuck. black magic was his original name but he often went by magic instead.

Chop Suey: honestly, your guess is as good as mine on that one.... it was better then the other suggestions my friends were giving me at the time. its stuck now.

Zen: he was so calm and thoughtful looking. you could do anything to this man and he would just look at you patiently. just like a bhuddist zen master...

Serraphim: combination of the boyfriend and myself again. he named her after a magic card of an angel thing called sera, i thought of the angel that serraphims are. it fitted her perfectly. the boyfriend often shortens her name to serra while i often shorten it to phimy...

Chancey: i was going to call him chance. after all it was extreme chance that he ended up at my door. my friend suggested chancey instead adn i liked that better then just chance, so we added the y to the end.

when spider and snicketts had their babies, with a few exceptions they were all named after family members. mom named deuteronomy (deuter) and a few of the names just fell into the old style names rather then actual family member's names (we didn't have enough names to cover all 24 babies). some were renamed by their new parents, others kept their names, such as godmother's edith and SQ's lyman and lois...

/life story
:oops: :giggle:

Well, lets see..

The first two (recent ones) were named because my mother in law said "This one is Maggie".. and since I could not argue, her sister became Emma because I wanted the names to kind of fit together.

Then Maeby and Lucille came home, and Mike and I were watching Arrested Development like crazy. So we named the girls after the show.

The most recent set of 3 were named in a similar fashion to the first ones... MIL said "This one is now Josephine" so, to find names to fit with it we went with a theme again.. and they became Josie and the Pussycats with Valerie and Melody.

My son named our very first three girls when he was about 8 or 9 years of age. He decided on Sullivan (after the resident rat at his daycare), Halo (after the video game) and Rataquille (later affectionately dubbed "Princess" Rataquille). When asked how he had arrived at the name Rataquille he promptly led me by the hand to one of his many well-thumbed Calvin and Hobbes graphic novels and flipped the pages until he found the page which explained it all. Rataquille was his version of the word "Ratatouille" as he had recalled it from the comic. Imagine our surprise when two years later the movie came out...lol.

dl
:D

This is such an interesting thread and I love to see the many names!

Usually my names come from literature or mythology.

For my current rats: Emma, Oliver, and Poe come from literature; while Luna and Raven are from mythology; and Remi, is the odd rat out because his name was based on the character from the movie "Ratatouille" because he was adopted during the release of the movie and at the same time, I had just found out that my great great great grandfather's name was Remi.

I usually just pick names I like....I like rats or animals that are similar color to be named matching names......like my two blues Tilly and Tabitha.....my black boys...Jayden and Jacob....My two Black girls were going to be Maisy and Mia....but one look at the little all Black girl and she had to be Nellie (Beth kept their names) and my three blond girls....Hazel, Honey and Heather.......LOL........
But I am usually just pick out names i like at the time.....no special meaning....

i named mine after there behaviour, dr.jeckyll, and mr.hyde, there names fit perfectly.

Well my mom named most of them. Seeing that there hers and everything. Though I did name a few and so:

RUBE: He got his name from the Rube off of Dead Like Me. I love that show and well Rube was and still is my favourite character.

Okay thats it. :panic: OMFG. WAIT. I named:

TOBI: I got the name Tobi from Naruto which is my reason for living. so I only seemed fitting to name something after it. Tobi is a criminal that ends up being evil----er then fist thought. XD He also refures to himself in the third person...coolness in the first degree.

I named Bailey, Bailey, becuase it just seemed to fit him. I then realized he was a she, but I kept it. She is just a gorgeous creamy colour, that reminds me of the name Bailey for some reason (not sure why) lol.

Quincy, was named becuase I LOVE THAT NAME! I wanted to call every male pet I had, Quincy at some point or another, however I always found a more fitting name. This little non-stop mover just fit the match, and finally I have a Quincy in my home ;)

Monty, was named after Montego Bay Jamaica. Normally I name my pets after placed (Maya after Costa Maya Mexico, Memphis after Memphis Tennesse, Diego after San Diego e.t.c.), and I have been to Montego Bay and it was just stunning, and was a weird shape. Monty has a weird shape on his bum, it looks like a bunch of tini islands, such as in the Caribbean. It also looks like a bat, or butterfly, so I almost called him Batman, which would have been cute, but Monty suited him better.

For girl rats, when I get more, I have loved the names Zena, Zelda, and Annie for about 7 years, since I planned on getting rats. Sadly, my current girl (Bailey) just does not suit those names... and I like the combo and sound of them together (Zena, Zelda, and Annie) for some reason. So I guess I can use that to get 3 more girls in the future ;)

PetGuy

Petguy. I know a girl called Bailey so it is a girls name as well.

I am going to do all my rats :D

Milo and Jake had their names already when I got them. They are named after two boys in a childrens programe called The Tweenies.(sp?) Don't know if you have the that over in Canada

Jaffa because he was PEW and jaffa lollies are red like his eyes

Ferrari cause he ran everywhere very fast

BeeZee took 9 days to name. My daughter was trying to call him Zinc but it wouldn't fit and hubby called him Burt to wind her up cause she didn't like that name :lol: so other daugher suggested the B from Burt and the Z from Zinc and we got BeeZee and that suited him very well :D

Levi had his name when he came to live with me.

Strauss cause someone said it went with Levi ie Levi and Strauss

Zeke I got from a book I was reading while I waited for two babies to grow up and live with me and thought it would a good rats name even though the guy in the book turned nasty so I was pleased my Zeke didn't

Cole my daughters were tring to call Mustard but I didn't like that so someone suggest Cole as in Colemans Mustard

Placid is named by my older daughter from the movie Lake Placid about a gaint cocodile

Zak cause I liked the name

Spice as he is a ginger colour and ginger is a spice

Henry was first a bit of a joke from a cat food ad here in NZ but it instantly stuck

Harry cause it goes with Henry and they are brothers and very much alike in looks and everything they do.

Max was one of the names I was going to call Henry or Harry and I thought it would be a good name for a rat

:)

This is an interesting threat. It's fun to read how you come up with your rattie's names.
I can't do all of mine or else I'll be typing until tomorrow. Some names I just like and it suits the rat like Davis and Jorge.
But then there are names like Radar... he was thought to be a girl so I was saying that he was flying under the radar with his gonads.
Mielle is honey in french with an added e at the end, she was fawn.
Isabelle because she was a true beauty inside and out.
Captain came with the name Captain Highliner, I dropped the highliner.
Sebastien is named after Shelagh's Sebastian.
Some names are named after people that truly means a lot to me or have affected me in some way. Nico was named for my sister Nicole, Chantelle was named after her as well, her second name is Chantal. Kate was named after a wonderful lady I met on a rat newsgroup. My first heart rat was named Ness after Vanessa and now Nessie. Little Sheela is named after Shelagh. Sara is named after another member here, she's very much into rescues, has done so much for them.

Hahaha...I hope I am in the "means something to me" rather than the "affected me in some way" category... :laugh4:

Names have been tricky lately for me...all my names used to MEAN something, but then I started doing just names I liked, so I left my themes behind...although I do revisit, hehe..

For eg. Chenoa is "bird of peace" in native american indian (she was called Bird for a week because she lived in a bird cage...with perches!)

Goli is short for Goliath, the little dying ratty baby needed a strong name to live up to. :)

Then I went the flower route for my pretty Moncton ladies as you know, Sweetpea and Lily were the catalysts for this, and my mom who loooves flowers and was with me every step of the way during the Train.

IN the past I did Goddesses...my first were Luna, Selene and Soma (all moon goddesses) for my beautiful sweet PEW girls. I normally do not use a name again but there are a few names that I would like to use again as the rats either didn't live long enough (Luna) or weren't with me long enough (Amelia). They will have to be just the right rats for that though.

THEN I found this site, and started going insane...
http://www.petnamesworld.com/ :doh:

My next rattie is going to be called Sawyer if it is a boy....The name came to me last night when I was cuddling some very beautiful babies........

I love long-ish, peopley names in general for my boys. I've had Dimitri, Nathanial, Sebastian, Jebediah, and now a Bartholomew (and I have a cat named Malachi). I also have York and Manny (short for Yorkshire and Manhattan - no themes, just interesting combinations of letters. :D )

For the girls, I usually end up with short, quick names: Regen, Oreo, Monkey, Jenka, Midge, Carny, Pint.

Sometimes it's the personality that prompts the name, other times it's the markings.

Dahlas said:
My next rattie is going to be called Sawyer if it is a boy....The name came to me last night when I was cuddling some very beautiful babies........
Like Sawyer from Lost? Or Tom Sawyer? :wink2:

Lets see, my current guys.
Popcorn: loves popcorn, will eat it gently out of your hand
Toto: Smallest of my guys, you'll see why she's called Toto in a minute when I explain the other guys.
Elphaba: Bit me when I first met her (Mike raised these babies with Mama by himself, I was away). So she got named evil... Elphaba from Wicked.
Glinda: I had an Elphaba, so why not have the good witch. Toto was just the leftover, so I went with Wicked/Wizard of Oz.
Humpty and Dumpty: My twin boys, can't tell them apart unless you look at their tummies.
Hansel and Gretel: These two were together from birth but obviously they are boy and girl. When I seperated them, they looked absolutely lost... so Hansel and Gretel.

I love this thread. My first two rats were named after royalty, prince Charles and king George. Then Pinto joined his brothers and already had been named by my grandson.
Umpa Lumpa came to me with his name and it suited him so I kept it.
Then I got my disciples, Noah, Moses and Luka.
My park girls were found at nite in the park so I gave them all moon names, Luna, Ina, and Moon. Jaci was for my initials, JC.
The four lab rats I got from a school were named after Drs. Kanji, Kozar, Ravi and Syan.
The two girls found off the highway were named after some really nice vet techs, Angel and Amie.
Henry was Henry.
Rogue was the last rattie left at my evil pet store. And he was such a meanie until his neuter than became the most lovable rat.
My Wildthings were named after my fav home reno designers, Frank and Fred and Victor after Victor Newman is Young and Restless. I'm afraid he has been living up to his name. lol
I also have Joe and Nico after my daughters. And many, many more.

Oh! this is neat!
ok, so here goes.....

Hunter and Thompson were named after...Hunter S. Thompson....
Then we lost Hunter, and Thompy was all alone, we got him a little buddy and we aptly named her "S" (how could you not?)

Then we adopted two little girlies...and I named one Rube - after HST's "Hey Rube" book...
Brian named the second little girl Maverick. after top gun. his favorite movie.

Then we adopted two little boys from Tara -
Brian got to name one, and surprise surprise....he named him Goose.
I named the other little dumbo boy Dewey because his ears were HUGE like the kid from malcom in the middle.

Then came two girls from THS - I named one Indi because she has NO fear, and reminds me so much of Indiana Jones and her sister was named Lili - I was holding her on the couch and she just looked up at me and it popped into my head...

Then.....we got two boys from the rat train. Smiley and Rain...The first time i saw Smiley's picture the name Smee popped into my head....now we call him "Smiley" Smee, and Rain's named changed to Cap'n so that it would kinda have a Peter Pan theme :)

Back