How to choose the right type of pet? ideas/info needed

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissGuardian

As some of you might know from the guinea pig thread, I´m considering getting another kind of pet instead of rats.
I really really love my rats, but they are very expencive, I lose them so fast, and I have trouble finding good foods etc for them here..

I´m still considering guinea pigs, but I would also like other ideas and info if you have any :D
Birds and cats are out of the question as I don´t like any of them(neither does my family).

Degu´s I´m very wary of, because you can only get them in pet stores here, there are virtually no food, and I spent almost the entire year in high school trying to catch them after they chewed out of their cage.

I love dogs, but I can´t get any right now. If you have any suggestions of breeds that require little exersise, I´d love to hear it tho..

I know little to nothing about ferrets, rabbits and hamsters. All kinds of reptiles are illegal.

If I´m getting another pet, I would prefer it to be:
* The same size or bigger than rats
* not too high maintenance(long walks, needing hours of grooming etc)
* generally cheaper in vet care/needing vet care less frequently than rats(I know this can vary obviously, but in general).
* at least be somewhat interested in interacting.

Any info and suggestions are welcome.. I don´t know for sure if I´ll quit rats(or if I´ll be able to!), but I like to be prepared and have thought things through before doing anything..
I would also need to get my parents´permission(I still live at home due to health/financial issues), but they know I take good care of my rats and they don´t have a lot to do with them anyway. I think as long as they aren´t burdened it will not be much of an issue.
I hope someone can/will help me, as I do not know how to get info or where to start over here.. You mostly have to know EXACTLY what you´re looking for to find anything at all..

So ... I guess a couple of chickens are out ....

Think about the qualities you are looking for:
- friendly, independent, etc
- furry? shedding?
- chews things? litter box trained? toilet trained? unable to be trained ex: bird
- life span? How long a commitment can you make?
- costs - exotics have higher costs re everything and it is usually more difficult to find good vets for them
- free range in house? caged pet? kept outdoors
- if social, you will need two
etc

Once you figure out what qualities you want, research animals to find out what type.
Then you will need to meet individuals to find the right personality

SQ said:
Think about the qualities you are looking for:
- friendly, independent, etc
- furry? shedding?
- chews things? litter box trained? toilet trained? unable to be trained ex: bird
- life span? How long a commitment can you make?
- costs - exotics have higher costs re everything and it is usually more difficult to find good vets for them
- free range in house? caged pet? kept outdoors
- if social, you will need two
etc

Once you figure out what qualities you want, research animals to find out what type.
Then you will need to meet individuals to find the right personality
- I would prefer that they at least cared that I was there and would be willing to cuddle if properly socialized.
-Shedding matters fairly little. I could live with some brusing, but not more than 30 min daily.
- I would prefer if they lived longer than rats(average is 18 months). at least 4 years preferably.
I- can handle the cost of 3 rats and get them a good life and the vet care they need. I would prefer if it was cheaper or generally longer in between tho(I save up every paycheck I get, but with the rats they usually get sick before I´ve been able to save up a lot. I save up around 2000$ a year for vet care alone(mostly use from the paycheck tho).
-It would have to be confined to my room for now, so preferably caged, or caged when I´m not around.(I don´t work, so I´m home a lot. It´s unlikely that that will change in the next few years at least). Outdoors is not safe here.
I´d be willing to keep two except dogs.

If I´m not clear or making sense on something, please just ask.. I feel like I´m having trouble explaining things properly today:/

I would do my very best to give any pets the best life possible. I do spend a lot of time with my pets, but I prefer pets that don´t HAVE to have many hours of exsersise/interaction daily(meaning longer walks or that I have to physically be active along with them the entire time), simply because I don´t have the physical health to do so. giving lots of outtime and having toys and playing some/cuddle a lot would not be a issue tho.

Reading this thread, I thought of rabbits too. They are immensely popular here, and people who love them REALLY love them. I chose the guinea pigs over them because I didn't feel comfortable holding the rabbits, and later experience proved that I still suck at it. :giggle: But I hear they make great pets.

I agree with the rabbit idea. But if there's anyway to spend some time around them *before* adopting, you might want to do that. I know a lot of people (myself included) who are highly allergic to rabbits. You don't want to end up with a pet you're allergic to.

Unepuce said:
Reading this thread, I thought of rabbits too. They are immensely popular here, and people who love them REALLY love them. I chose the guinea pigs over them because I didn't feel comfortable holding the rabbits, and later experience proved that I still suck at it. :giggle: But I hear they make great pets.
I have the same issues with bunnies :giggle:
I´m mostly scared of injuring them.
It´s said here that they need to be outside, is that true?(not living outside year round, but being outside at least hours every day).
I live in one of the most rainy parts of the country(the record is 83 days in a row with rain), and we only have a tiny, very steep yard.. And lots of cats in the area..
Are there any small, friendly breeds for a clueless person?

Possibly a pair or small group of guinea pig girls. We have 4 girls living together and although they have silly arguements (usually one will be in an igloo and if another tries to get in they'll start rumbling and making silly noises at eachother lol), they are all really close. The boys don't like cuddles (apart from Mikey, who doesn't really like cuddles, but is the best with handling). They do make the most adorable little noises and 'talk' to you which I do love. They are definitely not as expensive as far as vet bills go..... you have to buy them a good quality hay though and that costs us £40 each month for 8 piggies.

Rachael said:
Possibly a pair or small group of guinea pig girls. We have 4 girls living together and although they have silly arguements (usually one will be in an igloo and if another tries to get in they'll start rumbling and making silly noises at eachother lol), they are all really close. The boys don't like cuddles (apart from Mikey, who doesn't really like cuddles, but is the best with handling). They do make the most adorable little noises and 'talk' to you which I do love. They are definitely not as expensive as far as vet bills go..... you have to buy them a good quality hay though and that costs us £40 each month for 8 piggies.
I think it would e a pair, since I'm inexperienced with them. How are GP's to intro?
One bag of hay costs about 30$ i think(i checked today, but can't really remember). I don't know how much it was in it tho.. It was a fairly big bag, but not very compact..

Bunnies don't need to be outside but they do need plenty of exercise, a few hours a day. Some will be friendly but many are not. I agree with Temblabamomo to spend time with them before adopting them.

I have no experience with GPs. If I personally didn't have rats, I'd probably enjoy ferrets.

jorats said:
Bunnies don't need to be outside but they do need plenty of exercise, a few hours a day. Some will be friendly but many are not. I agree with Temblabamomo to spend time with them before adopting them.

I have no experience with GPs. If I personally didn't have rats, I'd probably enjoy ferrets.
What do you mean by exersice? That they have to be out of the cage, or that you have to take them for walks kind of thing?
I've heard that ferrets need A LOT of work from you tho?( toilet training, wearing them out etc?). Don't know if this is correct tho. I've never met a friendly ferret(again, only from school), so I know little about them.

MissGuardian said:
jorats said:

What do you mean by exersice? That they have to be out of the cage, or that you have to take them for walks kind of thing?
I've heard that ferrets need A LOT of work from you tho?( toilet training, wearing them out etc?). Don't know if this is correct tho. I've never met a friendly ferret(again, only from school), so I know little about them.

ferrets need more care than rats and can be just as expensive if not more so, in terms of vet care. they can get really smelly too, but someone said they can be "de-scented" whatever that is

I just know the ppl who have ferrets say they can get destructive if they don't get enough out time and they are very active and curious, and can get into all sorts of trouble

(never had any myself, but once I heard about how much of a time commitment they need, I didn't look into them any further)

G pigs seem quite sweet, my sister had one that didnt' require a lot of care but was responsive to her. Don't recall that he liked to be held or anything like that though...

Petunia said:
MissGuardian said:
jorats said:

ferrets need more care than rats and can be just as expensive if not more so, in terms of vet care. they can get really smelly too, but someone said they can be "de-scented" whatever that is

I just know the ppl who have ferrets say they can get destructive if they don't get enough out time and they are very active and curious, and can get into all sorts of trouble

(never had any myself, but once I heard about how much of a time commitment they need, I didn't look into them any further)

G pigs seem quite sweet, my sister had one that didnt' require a lot of care but was responsive to her. Don't recall that he liked to be held or anything like that though...

I think they are too much work for me too.. So far i'm leaning against gp's or bunnies.. Mostly gp's since i know I like them an that I can lift them :giggle:

I haven't read all the comments, so forgive me if I repeat something.

Rabbits DO NOT need to go outside, they do need time out of their pen/cage daily. They can go outside, but they should be secure and supervised as they are prey to many animals and often die of a heart attack before the predator actually gets them. They like to explore new areas and need exercise. They also need quite a bit of cage space and *most* cages are too small for them so a pen is often better. They can be finicky about being held but are not as fragile as it may seem and I think they are far easier to pick up and hardier than guinea pigs. A lot of people form really great bonds with their rabbits (lone rabbits or bonded pairs) , much like with cats and dogs and they can live 8-10 years if well cared for. Larger breed rabbits (Flemish giants and other smaller giant breeds) tend to be more affectionate but live much shorter lives.

Guinea pigs are fun to watch and love to be fed, but many do not like being handled to much in the way rabbits do. They do live longer than rats but they are more prone to health issues than rabbits and there's a much higher risk of post-op complications with them than other rodents/rabbits. They are ground dwellers so they need horizontal space rather than vertical and can be pretty noisy at times, so not the best pet to keep in the bedroom for a light sleeper. (Although, it may be that they only get worked up at feeding time so it may not be an issue.)

Ferrets are very similar to rats in many respects but they need more out time, are generally sneakier, and more destructive. They do live longer than rats, but have their fair share of health issues - especially if sterilized too young. Most ferrets here are sterilized by the breeder/mill before getting to the pet store because it reduces their smell (they do smell more than rats and rabbits) and females get a fatal anemia if they go into heat and don't get pregnant. Because some people want to get them out and sold as soon as possible they are sterilized too young and have a tendency to develop adrenal gland disease so if you can get them from a source that sterilizes them later that would help reduce the risk. Also, ferrets are strict carnivores and sensitive to diet changes (and poor diet) so it's important to do your research ahead of time and find a good source of food for them. I find ferret poo is pretty gross too - similar to cat poo but they are not as easily trained as cats.

Chinchillas are also in the rodent family (not sure how popular they are in Norway) and generally MUCH more social with humans than degus. They can live 15-20 years if well cared for. They are also herbivores and I think may get a pair when my rabbits pass. They tend to cause fewer allergies and have less of an odour than rabbits/GPs and you could keep them in a Suite Royal. Their diet is a bit more restricted than GPs/buns in terms of what types of veggies they can have. Oh, and they are SO soft and don't mind cuddling. They are much more nocturnal than rats and rabbits I believe.

Gerbils are like rats in the sense that they adjust their schedule to ours. They are not as prone to respiratory issues as other rodents and tend to be prolific chewers. Smaller and more fragile than rats, they tend to be more affectionate/social than hamsters but not as interactive as rats. They can be kept in groups and can be really fun to watch, especially if you keep them in a tank where you can see them dig tunnels. (Tanks are suitable habitats for them.)

ETA: Just read through the comments and I forgot to add litter habits for most of them. GP are almost impossible to litter train (from what I hear - my boss has 5 and she's had many more over the years); bunnies, especially if fixed, are fairly easy to train; ferrets can usually be trained but tend to be sloppy and poo over the edge of their box, etc.; chins can be litter trained, especially for pee; and gerbils not so much (from what I remember as a kid) and tend to poo on you as they walk over you.

Rabbits just need free range time (protect your cords!) not to be taken for walks. They also should be sterilized, they are much less likely to be aggressive/territorial that way or spray.

MissGuardian said:
Plus, they are vegetarians, and so am I :lol:

Ours are actually vegans hehe :giggle:

I don't know anything about rabbits. Maybe they would be better if they are more affectionate... guinea pigs are a lot less affectionate than ratties in general.

Rachael said:
MissGuardian said:

I don't know anything about rabbits. Maybe they would be better if they are more affectionate... guinea pigs are a lot less affectionate than ratties in general.

Most rabbits fall somewhere in between rats and GPs. If you get them young and spend lots of time with them, expose them to all sorts of situations, they become much better adjusted.

Rachael said:
MissGuardian said:

That would do too :giggle:
I know very little, except they are bigger and GP´s are easier to clip nails on :giggle:

victoria said:
Rachael said:
MissGuardian said:

Most rabbits fall somewhere in between rats and GPs. If you get them young and spend lots of time with them, expose them to all sorts of situations, they become much better adjusted.
Any specific kinds/breeds that are better? I would want a small(As small as possible) breed..
But if what I learned working in pet store is correct, hermelins(spelling?) are vicious.. at least over here they are..

Back