How do you drain an absess? Success!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried the warm compression but nothing really happend. He's on baytril so hopefully that will hold him over until then.

It all depends on the depth of the abscess. If it's pretty deep, it could take a while for it to come to a head. You don't really want to force it, since it works just like a pimple does. If you put pressure on it before it's really ready to pop, it can hurt quite a bit.

I've also had abscesses just clear up on its own with the baytril. I never needed to do anything else.
Lise is right, lancing should always be done at a vet's. But warm compresses is not painful and allows the pus to come to the surface. The skin continues to thin out and allows a small passage for the pus to come out, at which time, you can gently squeeze it out, then with a needless syringe, you can flush the hole with saline/water mix. I do this several times a day, to make sure all infection is out.

Lyric just got back from Dr.Munns. His absess was drained and their was almost a tablespoon of green pastey puss that came out... :shock: .Hes on Doxy and Baytril for the next 3 weeks and hopefully that will clear everything up....

Dr.Munn also said Lyric has extra long balls...hahaha :lol: Hes now at my place (he was at my boyfriends before) and hes in the same room as my girls...probably driving them all crazy :roll:

Has he been neutered? I believe you have an FN, although I honestly can't remember if you had modified the entire cage? Does his cage have the 1/2" bar spacing? Where there's a will, there's a way, so you want to be extra careful if he's not been altered.

I have a modified FN and I also have my boys in a cage with really small bar spacing...Trust me, I've had and accident in the past and I won't let that happen again. :wink:

Back