How Cruel Some People Can Be

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
xxchelle said:
Finally, a good post can be made on this thread.

Tiana and Esmeralda are doing wonderfully. They're full of energy today, which is amazing considering how little energy they've had so far. Tiana even figured out a low flat hammock! I was thrilled. They haven't left my side this weekend and they won't until I have to go back to Homewood, and Amanda can take over.

They're sweet personalities are really shining through, and all your well wishes, thoughts, prayers, hugs, kisses, and support have clearly gave them the strength to start the road to recovery. Thank you everyone.

:love6: Little Bug-a-Boos... :love6:

Quick update on Tiana and Esmeralda. Esmeralda is doing great, she is currently on a course of baytril just to be 100% sure there is no lingering ear infection. She loves human attention and her coat is already looking better. Tiana is still a little unsure of humans but can be persuaded to give kisses. After discussing it with Chelle we have decided to keep an eye on her back for a few days since we aren't convinced it's pyo. Since she was given revo no new scabs have appeared, her back isn't red or inflamed and her back isn't causing her any pain but if any of that changes then baytril (and metacam if needed) will be started asap.

We just bought two girls and one boy from a pet store two weeks ago. One girl is a reg rat while the other girl and boy are both dumbo eared rats. Needless to say, all the rats that were in that cage are now gone.... either as snake food or pets. I have given three wonderful fur babies a whole new life and home... They are the lucky ones.... We have named them Gus, Maizy and Lilly.

I originally bought them for breeders for my snakes, but after just spending a few minutes with them, I have decided they are pets only. As soon as Gus is big enough to get fixed, he's going to the vet. I don't want to separate him from his cage mates as they all get along so well.... They have turned my world upside down. I just can't imagine not having them and I know eventually down the road we will be adding more to our rat family. Someone else will get a chance to have a loving, although short life. It's quality not quantity. It may not be long, but it will be full of love and lots of attention etc..... Our little baby rats don't realize how lucky they are.... I am looking into maybe adopting some rats that need home instead of buying some more from the pet store..... I wish I could save them all, but I can't, but if I can help save one life.... well that's one life saved.

These rats have changed my life in such a short time....

Love you Gus, Maizy and Lilly.

You should start your own thread on this, as it is off topic. But, I will say that if your three rats are living together (which, it sounds like they are), then there is almost 100% chance that you have two pregnant females, who could have up to 20 babies each, all of which you will be responsible for (and not for snake food!)

If I were you, I would separate the male immediately and get emergency spays on the two girls to prevent this. Once all of one sex is spayed/neutered for 2-3 weeks, then they can live together again...

I´m so sorry :sad3:
I don´t have any words right now :sad3:

And I hope you feel better soon :hugs:
Mental illness sucks.. I don´t know what you have, but I know I have my fair share of mental illness too :hugs:

I'll be seeing Amanda tomorrow, so I can get an update on the girlies then :)

I still get all mad and my face gets hot when I think about the poor sweethearts that had to be euthanized. Then I start to cry and get frustrated and more angry... Ugh. I know I should focus on Tiana and Esmeralda and them getting better, but this is just so hard... I've said it before (and I really hope I don't have to say it again), but this was one of the most heart-breaking rescues I've done.

It's especially hard because there are so many people and situations to be angry about. When I see rats with that kind of malocclusion I wonder how the breeders can live with themselves. So much ignorance and indifference takes my breath away, and I would rather not know that there are so many people like that.

I bet the people you rescued those rats from had never even looked at their mouths or noticed that they couldn't eat.

The two surviving girls will appreciate you beyond measure.

I just started tearing up when Chelle stated that she gave them all kisses before they were put down. Those pictures were heart wrenching. How can people be so neglecting and stupid? So many people are so blind that they can't see that animals are in so much pain. Just because they can't scream, doesn't mean they're not in pain! It's just awful. I had to stop watching animal planet animal cops because it just upset me so much. It's just... horrible.
But as everyone has said, at least the three are no longer in pain and they will greet you on the other side with grateful hearts.

God has entrusted us to take care of his creations with love and respect and the people that let those poor babies get to that state will be held accountable.

Glad to hear the other two are doing so well. Hope to see more pictures!

The saddest part is, that some of them DID scream. Like Faith when I tried to look at her teeth for the first time... my god she let out this heart-wrenching scream... I cried from that alone.

Amanada gave each of them a hug, and I gave each of them kisses and said I'm sorry right before they were gassed down (Amanada was there helping me). I really hope they felt both of our love at that point.

My vet actualy said he was hoping this was from sheer ignorance than actual abuse... He didn't want to believe some people could do this to animals either. But I truly believe this is pure abuse.

It is a really sad situation... whether it be ignorance or cruelty.

Even thinking about this possibly being ignorance infuriates me. If you don't know how to properly care for your pet then don't have one in your care. I researched rats for about a year before I got them so that I knew what to expect, the dos and don'ts and all that jazz... and to this day I still surf rat websites to learn more to properly care for my rats. If you aren't willing to learn, don't bring home the animal. Period.

Where did you find these girls? Sorry if it was already mentioned, I just don't remember.

i have a bit of a problem with this. a person i know has a rat (his friend was killed by her cat) and he started biting. she asked me to help her with his biting so i came and the rat is a sweet little guy nothing wrong with him in any sense. no biting. but he bites her. so i told her it might help if he was neutered and she got him a new friend. she only got him neutered which i said wasn't enough because he is probably depressed and lonely by now. the second visit i had with her (she SAYS she tries to take it out of its cage daily as i suggested to let it get to know her, but it keeps biting) she had to clean the cage because she can't take it out without me there. i suggested a couple rescues that may be willing to take it for her. then i realised the rat had scabs all over its back. rat fur mites? i haven't seen it since but iv'e offered to take it myself as one of my boy's passed away.
is there anything else i can do? she just kind of trails off and says nothing when i offer to take it.

@Ernie; You should open your own topic, not all people will read this.

Tell her you are going to take her rat with you.
If she again, doesnt respond, then just take it.
I guess it will have a better home if its with you.

This is sooooo sad, i almost cried reading your posts chelle! Hope the 2 little girls are doing great! They should be, since u did a great job, Chelle!

This is just heart breaking. I can't believe some people. I hope those people get what they deserve. Those poor little girls. Thank goodness there are amazing, caring people like YOU to help those poor critters. I hope they find peace soon.
You really are amazing for doing such good in the world, while suffering through tough times yourself. It's good to know that there is a balance, between good and bad.

Ugh, yeah, I'm sure the ones that had their teeth so bad probably were in a lot of pain that when you touched the wound, they just howled. That's just awful. It's like when I watched this animal cops, and this poor dog they rescued had a chain imbedded in its neck- it was just a chain used as a collar and they left it there while it was growing up and it just, grew into the poor dogs neck and cut and everything. When they cut off the heavy chain attached to the "collar" the dog just screamed from the movement and touching. It was heart wrenching. If I'd been there when you looked at her teeth and heard that, I would've cried too! That's just horrible. I seriously think that some people are so ignorant, that they are abusive due to the negligence- even if it's not premeditated intentional abuse, they're still abusing the poor animal by not giving it proper care and just ignoring the signs of an unhealthy animal.

Just sickening really. 8(

And I'm sure those little ratties did indeed feel your love and caring and they will thank you one day for at least giving them some peace towards the end.

I can't even imagine how somebody can let that happen with a clean conscience. I don't think I've ever seen somebody neglect a rat that bad.

It's truly amazing what people can phase out and completely ignore. Some people will say like "Well, I knew something was wrong, but I didn't know what to do about it..." or "I knew they were in pain or getting bad, but I couldn't afford a vet..." just stupid excuses and it just steams me. Because honestly, just give the animal to someone that can care for it. If you love it so much, then let it be given a good life instead of letting it suffer because you're an idiot!
I mean, even if they hadn't given them something to chew regularly, they could probably have trimmed the teeth themselves if they knew how... just gah!! People are so... if I could reach through the computer, I'd slap them! I just know that they will be held accountable for what they've done to the animals they're suppose to be taking care of. >.<

I hope, that when you look in the mirror, you see what all these people on the board see; a strong, beautiful, selfless, amazing and truly inspiring woman.
:joy:

Those ratties couldn't be more lucky than to have passed through your hands on their way.

Back