Hi, I'm new

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nature is, in reality, extremely harsh. All living things are important and have a right to survive.

All living things have a right to eat, and in the human mind, a right not to be eaten.

You will always find differing opinions from those standing at opposite ends of the maypole. Human Beings have a tendency to voice their preferences and provide facts supporting their arguments. That is where the key lies.

This is a rat lovers website so we convene here to sing the praises of our favored little family members. It is a bitter pill to swallow when you are reminded that your fuzzy little four footer is also natural prey to other animals, and that those predators also have their fanclubs.

You were courageous to come here Whipple and kudos to you for being honest about the circumstances. For my part, I understand how nature often works; it is hard for me to swallow, but I see the logic. All animals have their own form of magic. It is simply an issue of what our respective sets of eyes define as "magic". You are multi-faceted. Awesome!!! You find joy in both the predator and the animal it generally perceives as prey.

Good Lord.... life can be complicated can't it? :)

Maybe I should just go give my rats some grapes and scritches. :love6:

Welcome abord Whipple. I hope you are able to enjoy this website. The advice you are receiving in regards to euthanasia is good. The people here know what they are talking about (and if they don't... they generally know where to get the info they need!)

Welcome,
I am sure that you will find lots of info that will help you give your rats a better life.

I am glad you are holding off on getting a snake.

I have rescued many rats from snake owners - some were fed to the snake and not eaten, one had her babies fed to the snake, and one was in the home. All were traumatized, some more than others. Rats have extremely good hearing. They are social animals that care deeply about other rats. They also have a good sense of smell and an instinctive fear of predators.

As a rat owner I have discussed the whole issue with a few different vets. The exotic vet I spoke to here in Halifax recommends two methods to snake owners - however, I know that these methods of euthanasia have been found to be inhumane and to cause suffering in small rodents.
Another exotic vet in Ontario, who specializes in small rodents, has said that there is no humane method of home euthanasia for small rodents.

Well, I have yet to speak to a vet. The "humane" method is from a rat site, so I hope I find it could work. Even if I need to put down a suffering rat, or something of the like. If not, then I won't do it.
I now have a link for sausages, and I'm going to some snake forums and suggesting it.

Back