Hi, I'm new

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whipple

Hi everyone. I'm from Ontario. I currently have three rats. All without names at the moment. These are not my first rats, as I couldn't keep my first two due to very unfortunate circumstances. I have two males and a female. I was told one male is a Dumbo, but I can't tell on the best specimans, and the other male is a rex. His father is a breeder rat at the store I work at, and he's a rex. So I scooped him before he was sold as live snake food. Anyhow, I will post pics ASAP.

Here are the pics of my ratties playing in the tub. This is right after I got my little rex boy.
This is all three
014.jpg

This is my two boys
012.jpg

This is my big butted girl getting her butt stuck in a tp roll
011.jpg

I absolutely adore her color, how the while creeps up the side. I may just call her Creeper
010.jpg

:shock:

Is the female spayed, or the males neutered? If not, they need to be separated right away. Rats can get pregnant extremely young (6-7 weeks of age).

Welcome to the Rat Shack!

Your ratties are adorable!! But, like SoA has mentioned, they really shouldn't play together unless you have altered rats. Mating can happen in seconds.
Your little girl is an agouti variegated. And it doesn't look like you have any dumbos there.

I was sure someone was going to have something to say. Well, actually The female is going to be a breeder for my boyfriends snake. That way I know where the food comes from and that they were humanely euthinized. Snakes gotta eat too. She's only having three litters, spaced, so I won't be asking her to pop 'em out.
If anyone has an issue, I can understand, but these are my pets. I am aquiring another female as a companion for her. If anyone has questions, I'll be happy to answer.

I suppose you are entitled to your choices in life. But I respectfully ask that no discussions be made on this point. We are a pet rat forum, sure snakes need to eat too but it still is rather disturbing for us to think of any rats undergoing such a horrific event.
I'm glad you are getting her a friend.

BTW... the only way to humanely euthanize is at a vet's office, by a vet. NO home euthanasia is acceptable and in fact considered cruel and inhumane.

If I am going to get harrassed for feeding my snake, than I guess this is not the best forum for me. I am making sure my snake is healthy, and that the rats I feed him are not neglected. I would like to know that the food I feed him is not killed by knocking its head into something, or frozen to death, or drowned. I have that much respect. I use Co2 which puts the rat to sleep and they feel no pain.

I joined to hopefully gain a new perspective in how to care for myu pets, but I guess I am just going to get harrassed. (and yes, I think when I am told how to feed my snakes, and how to kill their food, that is harrassment)

You can't honestly think that your hobby which includes killing rats will sit well with us, on a rat forum?

Have you discussed your procedure with a vet? It has been shown in studies that CO2 actually does hurt the rat. As well, I believe that CO2 is not suitable for pinkies, but I may be wrong here, I'll have to look that up again.

I do appreciate your wanting to give your pet rats the best and to learn about them. It just really hurts us to know that you are creating life to only kill it.

If you ever do need help... we are here, we will never let a rat hurt and we'll do our best to help you.

If you prefer I could always go to a snake feeder site. That's the only other type of forum I can find that will accept that I own a snake. But then again, they treat their rats like a comodity. I don't want to, which is why I looked further. So if you want me to leave, because you fear I will upset some disney feeling you have of life never ending or their being a snake chow somewhere, let me know. Are you a vegitarian too? Do you have any idea how dairy cows are treated. I wasn't going to mention the snake, but you asked. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. I really am, but thats just the way it is. We can't all be perfect.
Edit: And before you kick me off this forum for owning a snake, I would like to remind you of this http://jorats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2113
Exactly why I breed my own snake food. But of course I could just give guys like that more of a reason to keep up their sad businesses.

Whipple said:
If you prefer I could always go to a snake feeder site. That's the only other type of forum I can find that will accept that I own a snake. But then again, they treat their rats like a comodity. I don't want to, which is why I looked further. So if you want me to leave, because you fear I will upset some disney feeling you have of life never ending or their being a snake chow somewhere, let me know. Are you a vegitarian too? Do you have any idea how dairy cows are treated. I wasn't going to mention the snake, but you asked. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. I really am, but thats just the way it is. We can't all be perfect.

We have snake owners on the board (they post in Other Animals), but they feed frozen, and do not breed/kill their own. They also respect the sensitivity of the situation and are careful not to upset other members.

We are a friendly and accepting group but it is first and foremost a Pet Rat Forum.

You think you are the only one on here with a snake?
Those members are respectful of our feelings and don't mention their feeding practices.

I think you are the one in lalaland... thinking that "killing rat" talk won't affect people that love their rats. Many of our rats were saved from the mouths of snakes.

You may leave, you may stay, it's up to you... but don't get all offensive if you don't win the popularity contest. :roll:

I think if I am going to be chastised for owning rats for other than keeping them as play toys, well thats too bad. This is why people don't take care of their rats, because other owners are not as open as owners of other types of pets. I feel sorry for you. I enjoyed watching videos of your rats, ect, but when someone comes asking for help, you can't just say "Please don't mention this topic" but you have to beat it into me. I have been on other forums, and this is the first time this has happened. But I guess thats how it is when its ruled by one very righteous owner.

If I had been told simply to stop, I would've, gladly.

As a great friend of mine once said: would you go on a vegetarian forum and start posting beef recipes?

Common sense folks...that's all you need. Find some.

First of all, a big Welcome to the Rat Shack!

Now, as for insulting our people on this forum that is a big no-no! You are entitled to your opinion but here as a pet rat only forum, we are horrified knowing that someone needs to kill these wonderful creatures (not Mickey Mouse) to feed another wonderful creature (should stay in the wild in IMHO) . So excuse us for not able to swallow the fact that you can love a rat and then decide which one gets to be a pet and the other a feeder.

Back