Hi from Illinois!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenmojica

Hello everyone!
I am not a current rat owner, but owned one when I was in high school, and loved it! I know have 2 little boys, a 2 year old (almost 6/1) and a 5 year old who will be 6 in July.
My 5 year old wants a rat, and to be honest... So do I :) So, we are now in the process of doing so. My target adoption day is in about a week and half.
It's been so long since I had a rat, and when I did, the more I read the more I knew nothing about him, and what he needed :(. Can anyone give me any suggestions, as to breed, sex, cages and any other things they may find helpful. I am super excited and wish I didn't have to wait almost 2 weeks!
I know I have read things saying that females aren't as cuddly as males, etc, can anyone give me there experiecne of both. I had a male last time I had one, and he was sweet and cuddly, but never had a female.
Thanks a lot! Any suggestions would be awesome!!!!

Jen from Illinois!

Hello Hello! Where in illinois are you from? I'm from a small town in So Illinois..

For Cages anyone will tell you that the Critter Nation is the way to go. Its a large cage with lots of space with large doors that completely open up to clean and change up the cages.

Hello - welcome. There are many threads that will gives lots and lots of information about rats. Just browse for a while! It's fun, and I learned a lot when I did it =)

A few things that you'll want to know is:

I strongly recommend finding a rescue where you can get your rats. There are many benefits over a pet store. Breeders aren't bad, but it's hard to find a "good" breeder that is actually going for health (and knows what they're doing) over breeding to get fancy colors.

Find a vet that specifically has experience with rats. It's not as easy to do as it sounds. A lot of vets don't have ANY training in handling these critters, but you'll want one on-hand.

You'll want to get at least two rats (I prefer three so if something happens to one of them - horrible thought, I know - they will still have somebody to keep them company and they can help each other through the loss)

Same gender! ..Unless you spay/neuter, they can mate insanely quickly and you could easily end up with 15 babies to look after. Not ideal. :lol2:
I've never had males, but they're supposedly more 'cuddly' where females are more active and less cuddly.

You'll want a fairly large cage and not a closed in glass tank. Those are very dangerous. I bought a Critter Nation ("CN" - very popular around this forum) and absolutely LOVE it. The downside of these is that they're large, so if you don't have much space, it might not work for you - and they're pricey (good price for what you get, imo - just depends on your budget for a cage) - Thread with some pictures here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12801&hilit=CN+pictures

Exercise balls, no matter how large they are, are dangerous to rats and not at all recommended.

Bedding: You'll want to be careful of what bedding you use. Some can be bad for their lungs.

There's lots of info, but I won't bog you down with it for now. (I know, I already did...) :blahblah:
If you have any specific questions, you might be able to find answers just using the forum search and if not of course feel free to ask. Everybody is very helpful here.

Oh! You'll also want some sort of digital camera so you can share pictures with us. :suspicious:

Hi Roo, and adreabri!
Thank you both so much for your input! I do appreciate it. I was planning on getting 2 rats at first, and Roo you bring up a good point about getting 3, not sure how hubby will feel, but ah well :).
As for cages, I will definatley check out CN, and yes I did see that being mentioned a few times. As for the glass aquarium, thats what I had for my first Rat many years ago, and he died from a resperatory infection, and I know it was because of the cage, I was young and stupid :( so please don't hold that against me (LOL).
As far as the size, I am trying to find something that will fit on top of my kids dresser, which is a tall berou dresser. I want to keep it up high so when I am not home the kids can't just get in the cage, I will also get a mini pad lock and key to be able to secure it, since I do have a very adventerous toddler :).
As for pictures, heck yeah, I will share pictures! I am really excited, and I feel kind of silly, this is supposed to be more for my older son, obviousloy i have to be the main care giver, but he will be helping with the things that he can, but I think I am more excited than he is, I think my husband thinks that i have gone a bit nutty :). OH well, I don't care! LOL.
Thanks again guys!

I believe Martin's Cages are really good as well. Not all are built for rats, but I know people who can't get (or don't want to) a CN often turn to a couple of these: http://www.martinscages.com/
I think a lot of people also use a cage calculator before purchasing a cage to see how many rats can live comfy in it: http://www.rattycorner.com/odds/calc.shtml

When I was new to ratties, I did some things that I would now be smacking myself in the head for (like keeping Cambria as a lone-ratty for most her life) but we learn, and all I can really think to make myself feel better is that the life they had with nooby-me was much better than life as a feeder or neglect. :heart:

Welcome to the forum!

Since you're in the States it may be worth it to look at Martin's cages http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/ . The R680, R685, R695, and R699 are all suitable for different sized groups of rats. You should definitely get it powder coated (if you don't you will hate the cage - galvanized metal absorbs rat pee and is very hard to clean, impossible to keep clean) and get larger doors so that it's easier to clean and decorate. Keep in mind that a suitable rat cage should have a base of at least 18"x24" and you should have (minimum) 2-2.5 cu. ft. per rat.

ETA: Roo beat me to it.

Hey,
Thanks again, and I did check out the Martins, I saw them on someones website a few days ago. I would love a CN, they look amazing! We are hopefully moving over the summer to a bigger place, and if so, then I would absolutley get one :)! What do you guys suggest as a litter? Or do you not put any down on the cage floor, and use a pan? Is it easy to get then to go in a pan?
Also, adreabri you had asked where in Illinois, and I am located in Grayslake, I don't know if your familiar or not, but I am by Six Flags Great America, and about 30 minutes or so from the IL/WI boarder. Where are you located?

jenmojica said:
Hey,
! What do you guys suggest as a litter? Or do you not put any down on the cage floor, and use a pan? Is it easy to get then to go in a pan?

Welcome! I think it depends on the rat and rat owner. Most of my rat took to the litter box the first time i put it in there, some still will go where ever they are sitting. I use yesterday news litter, it is pellets. Some people fill the bottom of the cage with bedding, litter or pellets. A lot of people use liner like fleece, towels, or some other type of fabric. I am learning with girls, they stink their cage up fast with fleece..

I have both sexes of rats, both of mine are busy bodies in some sense or another. both generally play a lot, especially if they are younger. If you spend any time here you will hear about my girl pika, she is kinda nutty lol but she is rare most girls are super loving but you cannot keep them still till they are ready. girls tend to become more loving with age, but mine are a year old and still hyper and but super loving. If you want a lot of laughs, get girls, they will give them to you every day..

it you get males, find a pair already bonded and save on the introductions. Older males that are intact can be difficult to introduce, girls too, but if they are younger sometimes it go easier but it all depends on the rats and their personality.

It all depends on the rats for litter training. I've been trying to get my boys litter trained since Christmas.. I've moved their pans to just about every location and have been picking up their poops and depositing them in the box and they still won't have it.

I am located in a small town in Southern Il about 45 minutes from St. Louis. You may have heard of Carlyle Lake?

Depending on where you are in Illinois, you may be close enough to adopt from Huron Valley Rat Rescue. They do trains(multiple people transporting rats across long distances) and spay and neuter all rats before adopting them out. They do charge a $20 adoption fee per rat, but when you factor in the savings(not paying for spay/neuter yourself, reduced chance of tumor removals, etc) it's totally worth it. They're on petfinder. =) We're in Chicago and adopted from them last month, and I doubt we'll go anywhere else as long as we live in the north.

Welcome!

Hi There,
Thanks for the suggestion about the Rat rescue. I did look them up, and they didn't have any furry friends available right now. I am proud to say that we will be getting our new furry friends either Wednesday afternoon, or Thursday. There is a really great pet store that I have been going to for many many years, and he only has rats from a customer of his, that breeds them, he was nice enough to give me the customers information, and I spoke with them about the Rats that he breeds. There is a group of babies that are just ready to go this week, so we are going to pick up 2 or 3 of them, haven't decided yet. They are about 5 1/2 to 6 weeks old. Not sure if we are doing Males or Females yet, I figured that I would go with my son and handle a few and see who we like, and decide from there. My son wants boys, of course :)
As for a cage, I found one that I really liked but, the bars were too widely spaced for baby ratties, so I bought a smaller one for now, until they get bigger, and then I will upgrade. The one I got, that is coming by UPS either tomorrow or Wednesday is Super Pet My First Home for Exotics, Large. Does anyone have any experience with this cage. It got pretty good reviews from other Rattie owners.
We are super excited about it, we are going shopping tomorrow evening for all the toys bedding, and food. Any suggestions on any of that?

Thank you all so much again for all your great input! Can't wait to upload pictures of our new fur babies :)

Hi from Toronto Canada!!
Congrats on your up coming babies.
I use fleece bedding for the cage and Yesterday's News for the corner pan.
I use a rabbit size & my girls like to store there food there. :sick2:
Boy ratties are bigger, squishy and cuddly but like to be slobs and sleep with there :poop:
Girls use the litter box for the most part and tend to be more shy and hyper.
Both are great and I look forward to seeing pictures.

Hi,
Thanks for the info, If you use fleece bedding for the cage, doens't it start to smell if they pee on it? How often do you need to change it. I bought some of the carefresh soft bedding, is this not good to use. Also, do your ratties use the same box, or do you have more than one in there cage?

Thanks!

Yes the fleece does, most use a towel under neath it or towel's alone. ....I use towels, they do a lot better, my girls can stink a cage up in 24 hours with fleece lol but my girls are on the special side LOL

Carefresh is fine.
I use fleece because of the shallow pans in my double Critter Nation.
I can go week or so in between cage cleanings for 5 girlies.
Probably more when all 7 are finally put together.
I wash the ratty fleece with scent free detergent and 6 drops of Tea Tree oil, no dryer sheet.
I use Tea Tree oil for washing the cage. (full bucket of water with 6 or 7 drops of Tea Tree.)
I wash the floor with it as well.
Tea Trea shampoo for the ratties if they need bathing.
Do you have a Thrift Store near by?
Canada has Value Village and lots of baby toys and blankets you can use to decorate your cage.
( boys are sweet but they do like to "slug nut".)
My way of sayng they pee then drag there man parts on you. :cheeky:
Just there way or saying "MINE". :lol:

A freshly decorated cage. #1

Sharlees rattakisses said:
Carefresh is fine.
I use fleece because of the shallow pans in my double Critter Nation.
I can go week or so in between cage cleanings for 5 girlies.
Probably more when all 7 are finally put together.

Told you mine are special.......

Hey everyone,
Just a quick update here. I had been planning on purchasing some baby ratties from a independant pet shop, because none of the rescues anywhere near me or a bit further, had anything available :( Well, today I just happen to be at or local animal shelter,(donating dog and cat food) all dogs and cats, when someone at the desk was talking about the baby rat litter someone dropped off earlier that morning. They had no clue what to do with them, I asked if I could see them, and they brought out 2 baby Dumbo's :), they are about 6 weeks old, and sooo cute and sweet! Well, long story somewhat short, we bring them home tomorrow :)! Super excited, my son doesn't know yet, can't wait to take him to get them, and see the look on his face! I will post pics tomorrow!
Thank you all for being so kind, and informative, I can't wait to get to know you all more!

Hey everyone, having some computer issues, sorry if something gets posted more than once.. It's kind of enoying, but trying to fix it!

Back