Hematoma

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting web site!

I bet it will be a relief for you to see the vet again.. What an experience for you.

More healing vibes to sweet Melonie, who is one lucky girl to have you for her rat mama.

Wow! I am sure if that had happened to one of my girls I would have run screaming from teh room!

Well maybe not but I would have had to fight that urge! Good for you in keeping your head, and good luck to your little girl. Its horrible when they just get soo skinny and don't seem to gain much weight.

Last night Melonie's wound was only worse. I cleaned it out but it was seeping. There was a new lump. She was unhappy. I knew it was time. I was trying to sing "Let it be" to her to calm her down during the cleaning.

Took her in to the vet today and what do you know is playing on the radio. I nearly started crying right there.

At home she had had an injection of Azium - left over from Nanuk's operation more than a year ago - which is a steroidal painkiller. I hope it helped. She already seemed dazed and incapacitated. I didn't give her other medication or mauling, just treats and cuddles. She still wanted her chocolate Boost. She didn't want smoked mussels. At the vet's she didn't take banana, but she did take NutriCal.

The vet looked at the wound and said the maggots basically ruined whatever chances she had had for healing, and I cannot have any more surgeries until September because this is the bot fly season and based on my maggot discription they were bot flies, which are nasty.

She had Michaela and Sicero for company. On the surgical bench (heated) the two other girls hid in their smelly blanket while I wrapped Melonie up and gave her a kiss. Then we put on the mask and put her to sleep.

Afterwards I discovered much to my thorough disgust that the new lump was only a hiding spot for more maggots. We pulled another 5 out of her and they were large fuckers - sorry - which we sent to the incinerator. The vet said that they eat 18 times their weight in living and dead tissue, they can infect healthy animals by making a hole to get in, and they lay eggs in litter too so to disinfect the cage and keep everything really really clean. He told me he has a video of a rabbit infested with them, and he once had to remove several hundred from a cat. The cat survived the whole ordeal.

Melonie did not.

RIP sweetie. That was a horrid way to go, I'm glad I could help you on your way. At least you had a good two years and you were a love.

The rest of you - get fly strips for your rat room - and don't operate until September if you can help it.

I am soo sorry Jane. Botflies are pure nasty. I try very hard to understand the place each animal has in the world whether I like it or not, but I can't do it with Botflies/larvae. :(

Both Vanessa's Hobo and my Rennie had botfly larvae removed from them. I have links to pics if people would like to see :(

Sleep well little Melonie. :heart:

I am so very very sorry :(
Thank you for giving sweet Melonie :heart: such a good life.
And for ending her pain .....

.... Melonie has gone to join her parents, Corrie and Byron, her auntie Nettie and many of her brothers and sisters

Poor Melonie. I didn't realize that an indoor pet could get infested with botfly. I remember the photos of Hobo and how utterly horrible those things are.

I'm glad that you gave her a merciful death and a wonderful two years. She was such a sweetheart, like all of her sisters.

I am so sorry for your loss. You loved her, and it must have been very hard to see her near the end.

You may be right; more information is that they had a black stripe on them longwise.

I still feel awful because I wonder, if we had removed every single one under anaethesia, and hospitalized her with her friends, maybe she could have recovered. She had been through so much simply from removing a tumour in the early stages while 2 girls with advanced tumours were going in at the same time.

Remember, I have a pic on my Picasa of the Rat Train (posted on that thread) that shows the girls in the outdoor camping cage. Melonie is on top. Michaela is in the foreground. I intend on sending a few really good pics of Melonie to Holly and Godmother that I can't post as they're under photographer's copyright.

smallvic wrote
I still feel awful because I wonder, if we had removed every single one under anaethesia, and hospitalized her with her friends, maybe she could have recovered.

Please don't torment yourself. Hindsight is 20/20. You had no idea what those awful larvae really were, and you had the presence of mind to remove the ones you found.

I almost always torture myself for the first while after one of my rats dies, wondering "what if I had...". I learn something new from each death, and it's hard.

Realistically, knowing what you knew then, you could not have done things differently. Please let go of the regrets and remember the joy of Melonie. You gave her a wonderful life. I am looking forward to seeing the photos.

Back