Hematoma

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallvic

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Melonie has a hemotoma from her tumour removal. She is at the vet under observation, but she's eating and pooping so things are OK. I asked them to give her meat or bones at lunch today.

Still, I don't like it one bit.

Has anyone else dealt with a hematoma before?

Is it a hematoma or a seroma? A seroma is fluid pooling under the skin that drains into the pocket leftover from the surgery. These often resolve on their own, but sometimes the vet will need to drain them with a needle.

My mom's rat had one, it was a mix of blood and some fluid, this was after surgery as well but it was absorbed and he was fine.
Good luck to your sweetie!!

It's a hematoma. We checked it on Sunday AM (her op was on Thursday) and when it was blood, I took her in again. The vet drained it on Monday but today it was back. :-( And she's such a skinny thing I am taking no chances. if it's 3 mL or so, that's a lot of blood for her to lose. Which is also why he won't operate. I am wondering how and when it will heal.

smallvic said:
It's a hematoma. We checked it on Sunday AM (her op was on Thursday) and when it was blood, I took her in again. The vet drained it on Monday but today it was back. :-( And she's such a skinny thing I am taking no chances. if it's 3 mL or so, that's a lot of blood for her to lose. Which is also why he won't operate. I am wondering how and when it will heal.

I have heard of hematoma's reabsorbing as well. Just keep her comfortable and try to keep the blood inside of her :(

Well, it still looks nasty, and he asked me to bring her back in 10 days to get looked at. Her staples should come out then. I am going to spoil her and give her a lot of extras - she has some catching up to do!

OK everyone I have to report on the sickest thing. Sorry.

Melonie's hemotoma shrank after her initial hospital stay, but the skin was necrotic so she had another operation last week. She was terrified to be at the vet's alone but we made her really comfortable in the big hospital cage and gave her a/d. So she was comforted. I didn't know when I was taking her in that she would be operated on, actually.

She came home with Frankenstein stitches as he removed the dead skin, a small tumour beginning again, and an abscess.

She is terribly thin so my big concern has been feeding her and getting medication into her. But the would was not healing, and getting stinkier and a tumour appeared on her arm at the end of the opening.

Yesterday she had little appetite, it was the sickest smell in the world, and she has always protested the hydrotherapy. Well, guess what I found while cleaning her wound?

Maggots. It is the single most disgusting thing I have had to do to help a rat, but using a q-tip and tweezers, I believe I removed every last maggot from that wound, even the ones who'd gone deeper into her wound than I would like to think about. It was soooo gross.

If there was a puke icon, I'd use it. Thankfully my stomach is pretty strong.

I disinfected that wound, which is now a mess and not a Frankenstein row of stitches, three times with tea tree solution and Hibitane and polysporin (the one with lanacaine in it) and put her to bed with twice the dose of Metacam.

She hated it but I think she recognized, as my work was nearing completion, that I was noticably helping her.

This morning the stink was greatly reduced, her appetite was greatly increased, and the wound is much cleaner even if not pretty. I've swabbed it twice with Betadine and will continue to do so.

Now I have to talk to my vet about how to bandage her to keep any more flies from getting at her, and see what her prognosis might be.

Poor poor wee one!!! And you!!
I am glad you have that strong stomach and was able to do that for her. Best wishes for her continued improvement...

here ya go... :sick2:

Wow, poor Melonie.

I know it was gross, but those maggots may actually have saved her life. they were cleaning out the dead tissue (maggots are sometimes used medically) and they alerted you to how bad and how deep the infection was.

You are AMAZING to have been able to do all that! when i see maggots my gag reflex is so strong that I have an awful time getting a grip.

let's hope that the flies stay out and that sweet Melonie can recover. Her sisters are going to be grossed out, but they send their love.

p.s there is a puke icon. See the bottom row, second from the left on the Reply screen.

Poor Melonie .... that dear little girl has been through a lot ...

Hope the remainder of her recovery goes well.
Give her a cuddle from me.
Her brother David sends his wishes for a speedy recovery as well.

Thanks Godmother. I know that maggots have been used medically, but they are bred in a sterile environment and kept as clean as possible - may even be GM flies - and they can only be in the wound for a period of time and need to be changed until the work is done. (Remember Gladiator?) As maggots digest the material they also release a toxin that makes the host sick. This is what the vet told me when I put Diamond to sleep, who had had a growing, infected, and then infested tumour.

I am so looking forward to talking with the vet.

Let's hope that nasty scar or not, Melonie has some hope of recovery to a semi-normal, if tumourous, old age!

Whew, glad she's healing.

You are one strong woman. I'm not sure that I could have handled that as well as you did.

Back