HELPHELPHELP.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vahnessuh

Alright. So I noticed earlier when I was chilling with my ratties that one of them was slightly off balance. She sneezed and while doing so staggered over a little bit. And when I put her back into the cage, again, as she reached the inside of the cage she staggered over a little. She isn't showing any other signs of illness. She's eating properly, drinking water, still pretty active. But I've also noticed the past couple days that shes been underneath the cardboard house more than usual. Usually when I'd come into my room they'd all come greet me at their cage door wanting to come out, she still does this.. but it isn't as quick as usual! Something seems a little off, and it worries me. She's my baby! HELPPPPPP. I'm hoping it's nothing, and that it'll pass.. but I don't want to ignore anything and I'd like some opinions please!

Thank you!!

-Vanessa

Look at her face very closely... is she leaning over, tilting her head to one side?? How old is she?

How old is she? Is her head tilted, like this:

DSC_7136.jpg

Or even slightly tilted?

She's approximately a year old, I got her from Pet Smart last winter.

She doesn't have a head tilt, when you look at her.. shes seemingly perfect. What I do notice though is if she sniffs/looks up too high into the air.. when she comes down she sorta leans to one side a little.

She probably has an inner ear infection. She needs antibiotics, so it's time for a trip to the vet! Haha.

Ahhhh, figures it'd haaave to be my baby. I have three, 2 of which I took in from friends who could no longer keep them. I love them all, don't get me wrong :p

Do you have any idea what the cost would be for something like this? And is there any special place I'd have to take her (aside from your average vet)?

Vet's charge different prices every where for their exam fee and for med fees so you would have to call your vet to find out. All your kid needs is to get antibiotics and possible a steroid to help clear up the ear infection before it does permanent damage 'causing her to have a head tilt for life.

I hope you can find a vet who knows something about rats. Your ratty will need a good antibiotic (about six weeks worth) and preferably an anti-inflammatory for a few days to ease the pressure. I don't know how much Chlorpalm (one common choice for inner-ear) or Baytril & Clavamox combo (another good choice) would cost there. Here a small bottle of Chlorpalm would be about $15. Baytril & Clavamox would probably cost more.

Not every vet will prescribe an anti-inflammatory. A small amount of Metacam should be quite inexpensive (< $5).

:( That would be so awful.

Thank you all for your posts, and your very helpful information!
I'll be contacting a vet first thing tomorrow morning, wish little Axa luck! <3

Godmother;

Where you live, for all that i'd be needing.. what is the cost? I know it differs depending on where I go and who I see.. but an approximation would be so nice considering as I have no job right now and I'd like to be sure I can get all the money together ASAP!

henry's_mum;

I live in Ajax. That would be so lovely if you could help me out with where I should go and who I could contact!! <33

ok, what ever you do DO NOT go to Mellenium City in Pickering. Dr.Saywer there kept my chameleon a,ive barely in order toget us to come back all the time...
She's NOT a ggod vet IMO.

If you can go to Courtice, it's a vet clinic in the plaza across from the Roy Nichols GM dealership on hwy 2.
There's a doctor in there, shes GREAT!

My #1 choice though would for you to take your wee one to Bowmanville.
Bowmanville Veterinary Clinic, it too is on hwy 2, and Dr.Korver is AMAZING! I cannot speak highly enough of her. She's treated and CURED my Chameleon Katannah, who's pics are up in the clinic, and is known by all. She also treated our VERY sick dog Daytona, and my 3 bunnies. We've since stopped going there as we moved north, closer to Peterborough, and I now go to Cavan Hills.

Either one is good IMO, ask, if they don't give it for metacam (pain) and anti inflamatory to help with swelling, and an ABS like baytril.

If you'd like links, i'll look them up now and post in a second!

IF you do got to Bowmanville, tell Dr. Korver and the ladies t the desk that the McAuley Family sent you, Katanna and Daytona's mum. Not sure if that will help decrease your cost, but wouldn't hurt to try, and also the doc (Korver) may take your advise on all 3 meds more seriously if she knows it's moi!
Please keep us informed on your wee girl!

http://www.bowmanvilleveterinaryclinic.com/index.html

Clarington Animal Hospital
Courtice Corners Plaza....2727 Courtice Rd.
Courtice, Ontario
L1E 3A2
905-404-2030

I couldn't find a link for the Clarington one, but found the addy, and phone # for you to call.
I've gone to both, and both are fine, I just prefer Bowmanville simply because I had MUCH more personal experiences with them all.

I don't think I'll be able to get out to Bowmanville :( I wish I could..
Not having a vehicle is horrible! Ahhhhh.

Do you think if I just got her the medications everything would be alright? Wouldn't any clinic be able to sell me that? Or does it not work out that way..

I could possibly get out to courtice, but I don't know how soon.. and I really really want to get this dealt with tomorrow! Would any pet stores have Baytril or any medications for something like this? I want to make sure I'm treating her right, but not having a car or a job limits me a little.. :sad3:

But I'll really really try for a ride out to Courtice, if Bowmanville can't work.

Back