Hello from Vancouver Island, British Columbia

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben

Hello
My name is Trisha, I'm 52, a nurse and have always appreciated animals. My daughter has just rescued a rat
that was being given it's "freedom" on the streets.
She called him "Ben" (he's the cute rat in my Avatar!) After Xmas we will find him a little brother to keep him company.
Currently I keep company with my husband (a good man.. have to start buttering him up so he'll let me have a rat LOL!)
3 Border Collies & 4 cats, all rescue. And few tanks of
tropical fish. I had a skunk for 7 years before my daughters were born. When I come to think of it... if I can get away
with a skunk, a rat should be a shoo in! Guess I have to
blame it on my Mom, she worked for a vet and all the animals recouperated at our house. EVERYTHING..eagles, owls, dogs, cats etc!
I'm happy to be part of the Rat Shack community!
MyPicture.jpg

Here are a few of my critters:
IMG_5727.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

BWbuddies.jpg

Welcome, Trish!! What a wonderful home you grew up in, with all those interesting creatures coming for rehab. :D You're a brave woman to have kept a skunk for a pet.

Your border collies are really beautiful; they must keep you hopping. Lovely cats, too.

We are rooting for you in your quest to get rats. Hey, it only took my husband a year to wear down!

:hi!: trish, how good to have you here, your tiny rattie is beautiful a little blue guy, how lucky he is to have came to your house, you doggies are cute, love the piccie setting so pretty in a row, nice kitties too. I saw baby skunks once in a pet store years ago, they were so tiny & cute, the baby boy kepy stompinhis fet at me so cute, if I'd have had the money one of those girls woild have been mine, I hope you share lots of fun piccies & stories, we love them, skunks too! :wink:

Oh wow, that pic with the three dogs, beautiful!!

Welcome to the Rat Shack and yes, aren't all husbands just truly wonderful? Without them we would be so lost. *wink wink*

:D

Welcome to the shack :thumbup: Doggies and kitties now rats, oh, my! :lol: they are all very cute, your collies are lovely :heart:

Ooo I have such a soft spot for Border Collies. And BC!

Good luck on the rat expedition! It took me a year to get my mother to crack and it was certainly worth it. ;) I was 15 then...don't think she expected it to stick 7 years, lol.

Thank you for all the welcomes.
My husband is wonderful BUT you can only push a man so far LOL!
and I think I've done quite well to date. :lol:
My dogs are really good with the cats, they can stop them in their tracks though... with the evil eye. I imagine they would sit in front
of a rat mansion and stare for hours! Well, I guess for now I'll just be a "Rat's Granny" ... sort of sounds like being a Red Hatter, if you know what I mean!
Trisha

Phyllis,
I really did enjoy my skunk but in all fairness now I really think they
belong out in the wild. I could offer him a lot but not compensate for the wildness that always stayed with him.
I once got stopped in a road block, the RCMP wanted to check my car for liquor ( I was about 26) I said "I don't think so, Sabastian wouldn't like that".
He shone the flash lite in and the look on his face was priceless :shock: I wonder if they believed him when he got back to the station!
The only other nostalgic bit I can remember is we always had a hard time trying to keep warm at night, as Sabastian would come in the middle of the night
pull the blankets off our bed, roll them up into a big ball and drag them to his cupboard.
Just about every morning I'd hear my husband say "Damn Skunk!"
My reply.. love me, love my skunk :wink:

:welcome: to you & your family from another Van-Islander! You sure do have some beautiful critters, we need to know their names! :D

Yay... now I can officially welcome you! I love hearing about all your critters.. and there's nothing wrong with being a rat grandma, I tell my mother in law that she is a rat grandma all the time! She always just asks me for a bigger grandchild :roll:

Fidget I am 1 1/2hrs away from you in beautiful Youbou. (pronounced Yew-bow ! )
The dogs are Tye-Boy, Bailey (F) and Kody (M)
The Russian blue cat was my saddest rescue, thrown down a 15 ft concrete window well at the hospital that I work at in 40 degree weather.
There for 3 days, no pads from trying to climb up, dehydrated, wormy, with lice and needed surgery for a prolapse.
All this when your 9 wks old. I let my husband name him 8) and it got "Woody" in the door! He has extra toes on the front paws, I forget the term for it.
The pic below is when I first brought him home .. very sick baby. The other is my newest a feral kitten named "Zee". She goes in to be spayed this week.
Fidget I will be thinking of you and Summer and hope she rallies for you.
She couldn't have a better caregiver than you!

Woody.jpg

zee.jpg

Hard to believe from looking at them that they are chosen by need not beauty, cause they are all stunning - maybe the contentment in the eyes has something to do with it. Is Woody the same kitty as in the 1st kitty pictures too? What a horrible thing to happen, he must have thought his life was over instead of just beginning....
I'm looking forward to a bigger picture of Ben too :D

I've been to Youbou! Once. Well, I've been to a bar in Youbou - my bf and I met up with his friend there, that's all I saw of Youbou but everyone seemed awfully friendly! :lol:

Thankyou so much for your hopes for Summer.

Back