Harlan available from this website?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Native Earth is a name Harlan has given its 2018 for the retail pet food trade. In addition to Pet Food Direct they also have contracts with Sand Valley Farms and Coldbloods Inc. They haven't notified me of having any deals with a Canadian supplier yet. If anyone is interested in seeing the letter they sent me I would be happy to scan it and send it to you.

So they are allowing for retail? I wonder if they will have the 2014.

Mumsy, did they tell you it's a no go without the $1000 min.?

jorats said:
So they are allowing for retail? I wonder if they will have the 2014.

Mumsy, did they tell you it's a no go without the $1000 min.?

They have retail contracts only with the 3 mentioned above (all in the U.S.) & so far the Native Earth line is only 2018 in 40 lb. bags.

I think I'm going to be stuck doing a $1,000 order. The problem for me right now isn't coming up with an order that size, it's coughing up the $1,000 & figuring out how to store 1/2 ton of rat food! :shock:

Mumsy, I was wondering if Harlan is sold in pet food stores, or vet clinics in the states (Buffalo)? If so, I may possibly be able to get a friend of mine to bring some up to TO for me. I've read some threads here ( I think?) about doing a Harlan run, but I'm uncertain as to where it is picked up. I'm obviously new to the forum and unfamiliar with the procedures of ordering things. Educate me and I may be able to come up with something to help.

G~Ratified said:
Mumsy, I was wondering if Harlan is sold in pet food stores, or vet clinics in the states (Buffalo)? If so, I may possibly be able to get a friend of mine to bring some up to TO for me. I've read some threads here ( I think?) about doing a Harlan run, but I'm uncertain as to where it is picked up. I'm obviously new to the forum and unfamiliar with the procedures of ordering things. Educate me and I may be able to come up with something to help.

Here in Canada we were able to place an order from Harlan and then pick it up from their warehouse in Mississauga or Montreal - that's what we call doing a Harlan run. Up until recently the minimum order amount was $100 and it was relatively easy for a group of people to get together and do that. The $100 minimum has gone up to $1,000 so of course now we have a problem. $1,000 is about 80 bags of food, or 2,700 pounds. That's 1.35 tons!! :shock: The order has to be pre-paid so even if I do get enough people together for 80 bags coming up with the front money is the big roadblock right now.

Harlan Teklad rat foods are not available from any commercial source. The company makes foods for the animal research industry, not the pet industry. Medical researchers require that their control groups are fed a good quality, nutritionally balanced food that is not likely to cause or promote tumour growth & Harlan's food was scientifically developed to fill that requirement. Therefore it is an excellent food and I don't know if it was by design or luck but rats love the taste too.

People in the states can buy it on-line from various sources (i.e. Kim's Ark Rat Rescue) but even they buy the food direct from Harlan and then re-package it to sell on-line. Even the 3 new "official" suppliers mentioned above get the food only in 40 pound bags and are all in the states. The on-line stores would probably be willing to ship to Canada but the shipping costs are extremely high.

If & when we come up with a plan to put in that big order the information will be posted here in the RatShack for any members who wish to get on board. I hope to have a plan soon because I'm down to about 2 weeks worth of food!

I wonder if someone was a store or an organization if it still is $1000 minimum?
I just can't understand why they are trying so hard not to have their food available to the little people. :redhot:

I think the main reason this has happened is because Harlan was bought out by Sprague Dawley Inc. SDI doesn't have a lot of love for us rat fanatics!

I'm going to be needing some more blocks as well, running low :( The rats really do love the taste of HT, even my picky eaters like them. I don't really understand why the new minimum has increased so much, it seems ridiculous - I'll never understand their reasoning. :roll:

If it were to work, what are your obstacles mumsy? What if everyone paypal-ed you the money before hand? Can you get a truck and load all that food up and bring it... where? People would have to meet you on the exact day or something. It would be very hard. Too bad I don't live near... I could help.

I would be more then happy to pre-pay that's for sure. I might even be able to help. But just not before June 14th though. I still have 4 square margarine tubs of food though so I am good for probably quite a few months.

I assume from the size of the order that if it works, we will probably only be doing this a couple of times a year ... That would be good to know as then people would need to order enough to last them 6 months. And also anyone who wants Harlan would want to order now, not wait for the next time.

edit: I will be putting in an order :thumbup: ... just unsure how many months to order for ...
I'm on my last bag of Harlan.

That's right. I still have some here but I'm not going to miss out on any possible runs. I'd be putting in an order, mamarat and Nickelrat. That stuff is gold around these parts.

Mumsy, thank you for the reply. My girls are eating Oxbow, which I have just started them on. (all I could find to get my hands on, that seemed nutritious enough) I just took in 3 re-homes. a pair of sisters were eating cat food and granola bars, other girl = grain/seed mix. I may be interested in the Harlan. They have never tried it. (My girls really enjoy the Oxbow - smells like apple) But now I am very confused???? Debbie D says the soy is good for the girls, in PREVENTING TUMORS but I think I just read someone here, saying the opposite? Deb says Oxbow didn't have enough soy for her liking. The Oxbow is 14% Protein, 4% fat. The first 5 ingredients are whole brown rice, oat groats, wheat bran, wheat, soybean meal. There is flaxseed meal, brewers yeast. I haven't had the time to spend yet, on comparing the vitamins, and nutrients in it, to the required or vs Harlan. It seems fairly healthy, is easily available here, and contains no corn. ========== Has anyone attempted to convince a pet food supply store, to bring in Harlan? Problem with that is possibly having to pay alot more for it! Mumsy, if you could give me some more information on the Harlan, I may try a few things. You said it could be ordered and picked up in mississauga? Is that one of their plants? distributor? ?? how much is a 40lb bag ? is the price including shipping. maybe you can pm me. thanks..

I actually do have a deal in place with a pet store in Oakville. They are going to get 20 bags from me when I do my Harlan order. If it works out for them then they will be contacting Harlan to see if they can carry it as an official supplier. It sure would be nice to have a Canadian company on board. I tried talking to the people at Ren's about it but they didn't seem interested. I guess it would be a conflict for them since they are a Mazuri supplier. You are correct about it costing more if a pet store sells it G~Ratified.

The only way a Harlan run would work is if we all paid in advance and if Mumsyrat had some helpers for unloading, delivering, and mailing. I am very grateful to have had Harlan for my ratties, and I would always be in on a Harlan run. If Mumsy can't find volunteers to help, I'd be willing to pay extra to help fund the hiring of helpers.

G~Ratified said:
Debbie D says the soy is good for the girls, in PREVENTING TUMORS but I think I just read someone here, saying the opposite?

Soy contains phytoestrogens.

Estrogen promotes mammary tumours and pituitary tumours.

jorats said:
G~Ratified said:
Debbie D says the soy is good for the girls, in PREVENTING TUMORS but I think I just read someone here, saying the opposite?

Soy contains phytoestrogens.

Estrogen promotes mammary tumours and pituitary tumours.

I'm a little slow, is that a bad thing??

I don't have a lot of room here in Midland otherwise I would help store. I will approch my friends at Global but they have sold their store to someone who used to work for head office, not sure what the rules are for them but I will see. It might work for them since they wouldn't have to make up the $1000. I know my friends would buy another bag, but that's just two bags for the two of us.

If this was done when do you think the next order would be after this one. I mean if it's going to be in September then I can go with that. I just don't want to buy any right now. I figure a tub lasts me 1.5-2 months and I have 4 left plus the one I'm on.

It means that phytoestrogens may very well increase the risk of mammary tumours and pituitary tumours.
I've also done a search on soy and I'm not too happy with all the negative things I've found.

Back