Harlan at the U of G

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sausage4ever

I found this on Guelph's website:

Other Diets:
Rodent Teklad Diet 33 lbs $20.00
Rodent Teklad Diet 10 lbs $11.00
Rabbit High Fibre Teklad Diet 33 lbs $20.00
Rabbit High Fibre Teklad Diet 10 lbs $11.00
Guinea Pig Teklad Diet 33 lbs $20.00
Guinea Pig Teklad Diet 10 lbs $11.00
Wild Bird Seed mix (no corn) 40 lbs $18.00
Corn-cob Bedding (Teklad) 40 lbs $21.00
Corn-cob Bedding (Teklad) 10 lbs $11.00
Soft Wood Shavings 2.8 cubic ft $9.50

http://www.uoguelph.ca/research/caf/petSupplies/index.shtml

I might get some considering I have to go across the city for Oxbow but I'm at the university everyday. I emailed them to see which formula it is but I have a hunch it's 8604, which isn't the greatest..worse than the dog food they were on/

I was on that page just the other day and didn't even notice the Teklad Diet... guess I was looking for Harlan :p

When you hear back, please let us know which formula it is!

This is the email I got back :
"Great!
We sell the 2014. You can contact Panos to order at the above email or by calling X54309" If anyone wants just let me know I will order for you, it ships in 24hrs. I'm going to order some for the boys after I finish my bag of Oxbow!!! It will be good for the mice too!

I've been wanting to get some from them but the store is only open 8:30 to 4:30 on weekdays, almost impossible for a working girl!

I have to say... I'm very impressed that the University of Guelph, known for animal sciences and teachings use Harlan Teklad 2014!! That is what they use in house. :thumbup:

Put in an order today.

Question though... I noticed yesterday that the Oxbow Regal Rat I currently have specifically says its not suitable for mothers or young animals, is this the case with the 2014?

Should I be supplementing with something? or ...?

I personally don't supplement by adding extra protein, unless you have a mom.
I do supplements my rats' diet with veggies. :thumbup:

I may have to order some too. The boys are being very difficult with their Oxbow they are eating very little and everyday I give them less (some animals get overwelmed by the amount of food they are given) to see if they will ever eat it all, but it seems they are less enthusiastic about it when their is no dog food with it :sigh:. Guess I'll just order the Harlan and they can eat that (mixed with Oxbow).

Now that Harlan Teklad has pretty much cut us off I don't think U of G realizes what it's in for! They're going to be indundated with crazy rat ladies!! :giggle:

I'm a five minute walk from campus but am unsure of where exactly they sell the stuff. I'm still getting a little lost, haha.

I wrote to them and it looks like it's for anyone. I told them I was driving down from Sudbury. They never mentioned it was only for students. But when I put in the order, I'll make sure to ask.

Thank you so much for posting this, they have amazing prices to boot. It's not only for students/staff; I just picked up an order of bedding and food. As for shipping just send 'em an e-mail and see- the guy running it says he'll be out of the office today (Friday) though. It might not be worth it anyway even if they did since the stuff is so heavy.

I was just about to offer my ID in case you guys wanted to come to Guelph to pick it up (it's like those teenagers getting adults to buy liquor...:wink2:).

Apparently I walk by the building every day and didn't know it, haha! This is excellent.

Jherek said:
Thank you so much for posting this, they have amazing prices to boot. It's not only for students/staff; I just picked up an order of bedding and food. As for shipping just send 'em an e-mail and see- the guy running it says he'll be out of the office today (Friday) though. It might not be worth it anyway even if they did since the stuff is so heavy.

I'll check it out. Thanks.
Mumsyrat has been mailing me bags of Harlan from the last Harlan run in Ontario.
Believe me, it is worth it. :nod:
Since I presently have 36 rats, I go through more than one bag a month ....

Okay guys, as I mentioned I walk by this place every day to get to campus, and I never noticed a building like the one pictured on the university site. From the east I see a large barn, then there's the animal science/nutrition building which is on the corner and is technically on Gordon. Doesn't match the map...does anyone know which direction the entrance faces? Perhaps that's where I'm getting thrown.

Back