GROOOOOOOOOOOSS!!!! Have you ever had a rat do this???

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They really shouldn't have wire at the bottom of their cage but rats, unlike rabbits, chins and guineapigs don't NEED to do this as much. I think its more of a carryover of instincts from when they were wild and had to get the most nutrition out of meager food.

http://www.greenwoodchinchillas.co.uk/poo.htm
This dropping-eating (called coprophragy) is essential for their health - and it allows them to balance their intestinal bacteria/flora in order to breakdown their foods and is also their main source of B vitamins - which are produced internally in the caecum!!

And for more about the rats...
http://ratguide.com/care/behavior/coprophagy.php

But suffice it to say, rats will take the special poops as soon as they are produced, so don't worry about the wire floor for that.

What happens if a rat poops through wire into a tray. Are they in danger of not meeting the poop requirements for their digestive systems?

Should i remove the wire? I put it in there so they could poop through it likein their old cage and they took it to it immediately

Yes, I agree they shouldn't have a wire bottom in their cage. I'd remove the wire bottom of the cage or cover it completely with something like plastic needlepoint canvass. You can purchase it in any craft store and attach it with the plastic wire ties. It scrubs clean with a brush when you do your normal cage cleaning. I put my entire Martins 695 in the shower and scrub it down. Eventually you will need to replace the plastic because your ratties will chew on it. It also helps reduce the chances of your rats getting bumblefoot. If you decide to remove the wire bottom, you probably will need to add a corner shelf where the ramp meets the floor since it may be off a couple of inches. You can also buy the corner shelves in most pet stores. I'd cover that with the plastic as well.

One of my rats does this too -- he shoves as much poop in his mouth as he can, chews it for a few minutes, than spits it all out again in a nice big messy pile. Not very nice to watch.. haha

sorrry guys,i have a ferret kingdom (ferret nation over there?) and the entire floor is not wire. There is a small section on the very bottom level that has wire that i put there (and not the thin harsh stuff) The reason it's there is because it acts as their litter tray. They poop all over the place if there isnt a section with wire.-there is no other wire for them to walk on,the rest of the cage is soft with fabric bedding.

Would that still be a problem?

That's nothing! My dog likes to eat fresh cat poop out of their litter pans.
And then thinks I'm gonna let her lick my face! Not bloody likely! :lol2:

Cityratt said:
if it helps to justify it at all....they eat it to gain fermentation products (VFAs) which are produced by bacteria within their colon and cecum (i believe) - because rats are hind gut fermenters
they cannot absorb these nutrients across their intestinal lumen so the only way to get them is to eat them :wink:
Thanks for explaining that, Anne! Now is there a scientific reason why my Oreo (he's a member of the canine persuasion) seems to enjoy the odd poopsicle? Is it a nutritional deficit? Or a brain deficit? :lol: But seriously, I've never been able to get a straight answer on that one.

Back