GROOOOOOOOOOOSS!!!! Have you ever had a rat do this???

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnmjenn

:gaah: I don't even know where to post this... diet? Behavior? Distasteful events?

Ok... I know that dogs will eat their own poop sometimes... but rats???
Tonight we caught Susan in the litter box picking out a delectable morsel :sick2: and, well, you know... BLECK!!!!
Have anyone else's rats ever done this? We've given them a lot of veggies in the last 2 days... maybe she's just snacking on the left-overs. (Oh now I'm grossing me out. Time to stop!)

Any health concerns to be aware of with this... this... particular entree? :doh:

if it helps to justify it at all....they eat it to gain fermentation products (VFAs) which are produced by bacteria within their colon and cecum (i believe) - because rats are hind gut fermenters
they cannot absorb these nutrients across their intestinal lumen so the only way to get them is to eat them :wink:

They're kinda like reverse cows.....

:laugh4:

In the four years I've had rats, I just saw this for the first time 2 nights ago! I thought I was seeing things...cuz I had just cleaned out the cage and I knew there maybe was 1 or 2 terds on the cage floor and I thought I saw her grab one and eat it! I wasn't sure, but I could have swore it was her poop! I know rabbits do this, so it doesn't suprise me that rats do. The being discreet is hilarious!

What happens if a rat poops through wire into a tray. Are they in danger of not meeting the poop requirements for their digestive systems?

Should i remove the wire? I put it in there so they could poop through it likein their old cage and they took it to it immediately.

Back