Grace went in to be spayed

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Well, Grace went off to the vets to be spayed this morning.
Feeling very nervous about it as she is an older girl (got her on Sat) and this exotic vets office doesn't seem to know a lot about ratties ... one of the questions this am was: What breed is she?

But the place that was recommended couldn't spay her until the end of next week - big concern as intact boys are escape artists. The recommended vets office said that this vet would be ok and was experienced at spays. I opted for the laser surgery as she is an older girl.

Waiting is sooooo hard.

Don't know about other places but this vet hosp. charges $55 extra for laser surgery. I think the equipment is fairly new, so imagine they are paying for it. After reading what Riana wrote last night about the benefits, decided to do it because Grace is an older girl and I do not know her health history.

Grace made out fine and is now back home with me. They didn't do laser surgery ... something about gas and a fire hazard? :scratch:
But they use gas with other animals having surgery ...

Her incision is crooked puckered and they used glue ...
Whenever I have had a girl spayed before, afterward their sides are concave in the area of their abdomen ... Grace looks just as chuby as ever :?:

Had hoped that this experienced, exotic vet's skill would be good as they charge less then half of what the other vet charges. It looks like I will have a number to get neutered and spayed ... as a student with no job it is a daunting prospect ... oh well, I do need to lose weight :)

Had an argument re medicam with the woman at the desk ... no pain meds except the 24 hour injection, after major abdominal surgery? :batbeat:
She actually said that animals don't feel pain like people do! :stickpoke: :noway:

I told her their policy is barbaric and I hope they change it!!

Not to worry, I have medicam here at home.

Will phone and talk to the vet tomorrow and see if he is as stupid.
Makes me a bit concerned as to how well dear little Grace was looked after when in their care.

I know you get what you pay for and it was a good price, but $85 isn't exactly cheap.

The concave sides are signs of discomfort, the beginning of owwie stretches. Some rats don't cramp after spays.

No pain meds after surgery? Tell That vet if he agrees with his receptionist that you will be doing a lot of these and will only do them with him IF he gives you pain meds to take home.

I wanna see a pic of this puckered incision! :) I've seen some pretty horrific incisions on other forums, and I am totally spoiled by Dr. Munn's neat and tiny ones.

It sounds to me that the Vet needs to tell his receptionist to not give out advice like that or to even anwer questions like that she is a receptionist not a vet or vet tech and that her stupid remark makes him and the rest of his office look stupid. Animals don't feel pain like we do WHAT THE F*#@ ever they feel pain just as much as we.

All I have ever had done was tumor removals and I have never given them any pain meds, should I be giving it to them? But it is not major surgery like a spay where they actually open the body cavity.

At least she is home and doing well. :wink: Heal fast little one.

Grace is doing ok.
Put her back in with the others and she immediately power groomed everyone to show that she is still boss. Separated her tho, with a friend until tomorrow afternoon, as she is too scary for Bambi to deal with.

lilspaz68 said:
pain meds after any procedure for me. Its just the amount and the duration that changes.

Tumour removals are 1-2 days
Spays are 2-3 days
Neuters are 1-2 days

Okay, well I will definitely be asking for pain meds when Clover goes in for her tumor removal. Now I feel kind of bad that the other girls had to deal with the pain. :rolleyes:

Poor Bambi, I hope things get better for her and maybe since Grace is spayed she will be less obsessive over who the boss is.

t sounds to me that the Vet needs to tell his receptionist to not give out advice like that or to even anwer questions like that she is a receptionist not a vet or vet tech and that her stupid remark makes him and the rest of his office look stupid.

I worked at two vet clinics, and we were NEVER allowed to give out any medical information, even if it was something as simple as going over post-op directions. We as support staff have no medical training to give us the right to do so. I'm furious that that receptionist thought she could do so, and I'm even more angered to think that she would have gotten away with it before! I know that in the clinics I've worked at, we could be fired for suggesting something to clients in a medical nature.

I'm real glad, Holly, that you knew better than to listen to that false advice. Please do mention it to the vet though, because that receptionist is really over-stepping her rights. :(

It all depends on the clinic as far as if they have a vet tech sitting in as the receptionist too. I used to work at a vet clinic and I was the receptionist but I was also a vet tech. We gave out post op instructions and stuff like that. Also one of the clinics I now go to always has vet techs up at the front desk answering phones and being receptionists.

Hope your little girl feels better soon...and I would definitely call the vet and talk to them directly about the pain meds.

The clinic phoned to see how Grace was doing and I did discuss what had happened as well as pain meds.

I give pain meds (metacam) for three or four days after surgery as Debbie D. says that after a spay or a neuter, rats can experience severe abdominal cramping for up to three days after surgery.

Thanks for the info Shelagh, didn't realize the sides were the beginning of owie stretches as looked like weight loss.

Back