Girls have arrived/spay done/time to meet boys

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting, she did mention other things, but was pretty certain cancer would be the case here. Can humans catch hepatitis from rats?

Very interesting, she did mention other things, but was pretty certain cancer would be the case here. Can humans catch hepatitis from rats?
Most viruses are species-specific, so no.
Hepatitis doesn't necessarily have to be viral. The definition of hepatitis is:
hepato --> liver
-itis --> inflammation
Hence inflammation of the liver, which could be caused by many things.

The vet said she would rule out hepatitis because all of her liver functions and kidney functions are all coming back to normal. We're just going to go ahead with the spay on March 3rd and will be available by phone so she can call us and let us know what she finds when she's inside.

The girls lost a few grams but they've also grown in their fur so they are not patchwork rex it was just malnutrition which is no surprise from what they were eating.

Sonoma is sounding much better we're going to give her another week of doxy and after surgery she'll probably come home with Baytril they're thinking she might just be a lifetime myco rat. Her tumor did grow a little bit and she not really sure if its a mammo tumor cause it's an odd shape so she thinks it might just be some mammo tissue or something like that. I don't know I'm new to this girl stuff.

Just read this now .... so glad they are with you and hope they are soon feeling much better and that their health problems can be dealt with so they have long happy lives with you

but ....
plus their vegan

Sorry they are in such bad shape and have had malnutrition from a horrible diet of crap
.... but it has nothing to do with being vegan ... my rats are vegan as am I.

My rats free feed Harlan Teklad 2014 blocks, one of the top 2 blocks for rats.
Then as recommended re diet, they get daily vegs and occasional healthy treats of pieces of fruit, cooked quinoa, cooked oatmeal, a piece of organic cereal, organic pumpkin seeds etc

As I am sure you are aware, this is the recommended diet for rats, the only difference is which of the recommended good quality blocks you feed them

hope they are soon doing much better

Last edited:
Just read this now .... so glad they are with you and hope they are soon feeling much better and that their health problems can be dealt with so they have long happy lives with you

but ....

Sorry they are in such bad shape and have had malnutrition from a horrible diet of crap
.... but it has nothing to do with being vegan ... my rats are vegan as am I.

My rats free feed Harlan Teklad 2014 blocks, one of the top 2 blocks for rats.
Then as recommended re diet, they get daily vegs and occasional healthy treats of pieces of fruit, cooked quinoa, cooked oatmeal, a piece of organic cereal, organic pumpkin seeds etc

As I am sure you are aware, this is the recommended diet for rats, the only difference is which of the recommended good quality blocks you feed them

hope they are soon doing much better

I was not putting down vegans - that was more of a "Oh my goodness - they are vegan" because I don't know a thing about being vegan....

The creepers chewed a hole in the plastic bottom and escaped!!! Now I have to go and get another cage since the only one I have here has bars that are spaced too far apart and they will fit through! Damn them! Thankfully they only went to the top of the cage and the escape attempt was quickly noticed.

Yes, the girls were living at my mom's far far away from the boys. Now they are at our house in a cage with a metal bottom. Those b*@%*es better not get out. I told them they better behave or I'm opening the front door and they can be on their way!

I was not putting down vegans - that was more of a "Oh my goodness - they are vegan" because I don't know a thing about being vegan....

No problem, I just needed to point out the distinction between their being fed crap and being vegan.

btw, all vegan means is that you are trying to live in a way that causes the least amount of harm to others .... which usually includes not eating animals or animal products.

Sonoma - the b*#@* bite me yesterday. I dropped the syringe when giving her her doxy and when I reached for it - chomp, not full blown bite, but not nibble either - broke skin with top and bottom teeth.

Their lucky they are daddy's girls!!!

Their daddy girls - he's cheating on me right infront of me! Always sweet talking them, kissing them, playing with them, giving them treats, etc. I still keep saying "How's my boys?" and then I hear "and girls" from daddy....

make sure they give you plenty of pain meds, it's horrible when they don't

She's good about pain meds - she has been researching and realized she has been under dosing. Its the others there I still have to worry about and readjust the doses when I get home.

Sonoma should have just had her surgery started. She gets to go first since she's having spay and tumor removal. Good luck my finger nipper!! Hope this doesn't trigger her URI - no sneezes in a week.

Sonoma's surgery is done. She had issues keeping her body temperature up during surgery and it dropped to 92. After closing that site she went up to 94 so she felt confident enough to continue with the tumor removal. That's all I know on her so far. I assume Eldora is having her's now - at least I hope, the anticipation is killing me....

EDIT: Sonoma's "tumor" quite possibly was not a tumor. It was not a normal shape and encapsulated. When another doc cut it open (after removal) it was full off pus and more abscess like. So, it was either an infected "tumor" or more likely something got under the skin and her body was encapsulating it. I always thought abscess since I swore I saw a scab on it when I first noticed it. She did not remove the nipple since it wasn't attached to anything.

Bristol did fine, normal spay.

Eldora, she palpated her abdomen and felt a lump. Once, she has her open - surprise only poop!!! No sign of cancer anywhere that she can see.

We are on our way to pick them up.

Last edited:
Back