Foster Rosencrantz-at his forever home!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twitch

its about time that i start rose's own thread. he is here as foster for Riana. i had Guildenstern (guild) here as well but sadly he died august 9 when it was discovered he had intestinal cancer that had already spread to his lungs. it was a shock but rose is still with us and is as happy and as much as a trouble maker as he ever was now. i think he is still looking for guild from time to time but he seems to be dealing with the death well.

i'm posting about rose in this section because he has had resp issues on and off for a good deal of his life and we just got back from a recheck with the vet. rose was weighed today, coming in at 700g! but its not fat. he's a big structured boy. he may be ok with losing 50g but its fine if he doesn't and i wouldn't want him to lose anything more then that. listening with my ear i could not hear any sounds but when the vet listened with the stethescope she was able to hear a small whistle on the right side of his lungs. very slight but still there and shouldn't be. so she gave him a new medicine that has been in use in the states for 1 year and the UK for 2 years called conventac (sp?). its a shot of wide spectrum antibiotics. he received a 0.07ml shot for $2 and is good for 14 days. she wants to see him in 7 though to see how he is progressing. if rose does well with this i will take stew and magi in for a shot as well as both of them are having some breathing issues at the moment. the vet says that this should knock the last of the infection out. so another couple of weeks and he should be good to get his neuter.

as for rose's temperament, he reminds me a lot of ink. he loves to explore and play. getting this big fella going with hand wrestles is hilarious! especially if he is second out after all the girls had their out time. he wants so much to go out and play with everyone and show everyone who the boss is and gets a bit frustrated when he can't. so he tries to show who the boss is when i put my hand in afterwards which quickly degenerates to a romping hand wrestle session.

right now he is being housed with chancey, who is a bit of a whimp... well ok, a lot of a whimp. chancey is afraid of heights and is still unsure about other rats. when rose wants to play chancey sees it as massive man rat wanting to kick his butt and immediately submits and freezes. because chancey doesn't get that rose wants to play and doesn't join in the game rose get grumpy and sits on him. which is what chancey was expecting... :roll:

when rose gets out to play with the other males he tries to get them all to play. in bribery's better days he may have gone along with it but now all he wants is to be left alone and get his cuddles from mom. stew doesn't even bother to push rose off in his old age, he just waits for chop suey to chase rose off for him instead. i think chop has something for pews, he has become stew's unofficial bodyguard since moving into the big age after zen's passing. of course, because chop is playing bodyguard he has no time for playing either. so rose tries to play with magi, but by this point he is normally pretty ticked off that no one else wants to play and is more aggressive in his play proposal then magi has a will to put up with. they are about the same size but rose still gets his tail handed to him 9 times out of 10... so after trying to play and failing he'll come to me for sookies. often pushing bribes out of the way (which gets a funny little head butt war over my hand going). after his cuddles he'll go groom chancey or stew, then maybe go explore on the floor and inticing chop suey off the bed. once they are both on the floor they will play together and come check in on me every so often. after some floor time rose will go chill next to magi or stew and they'll groom each other. then normally its back to the floor for some extra play time while chop comes back for a nap. once everyone else is napping he'll normally return and check in with everyone before finding a nice spot nudged underneath someone else for his nap. so really once he settles down from seeing all these potential playmates he gets along with the grumpy older men, the 2 cowards and chop suey just fine. but he is a rat of habit and has to go through all the regamoral each time he's out to play with the boys. :roll: :lol:

as much as i like having him here and how much he makes me laugh at his antics i know he would do better with a different family and so i refuse to allow myself to think "aww... what's one more really...." because right now, given my fianaces, one more is A LOT. so... :stickpoke: who's looking for a rattie friend with as much character as little...urm... well, sort of little, (in comparison to some anyway) Rose?

100_2204.jpg

100_2192.jpg

100_2194.jpg

regalrose.jpg

He really is a sweetheart! I'm surprised at how much of a saucy little boy he's become at Raven's :p But he is a mushy-mush who gives kisses constantly and handwrestles like you wouldn't believe!

He is adorable.....I wish I could take him in...I thought about it all evening and it isn't that I don't want to but there does come a point where you have to say you are at your limit. I am at mine.......I hope he does find a great home soon. I will certainly keep an ear open for anyone looking for a sweet loving boy.

i understand the feeling dahlas! i'm tempted by the little bugger too but like you i am already at limit. its one thing to share the love, another when it comes to finances. i simply just cannot not afford another right now.

but certainly pass the word around he's in need and will be neutered soon too. so he's great for a person wanting a male but has females and doesn't want to risk an oops. i'll never say no to free publicity when it comes to my fosters! :thumbup:

I have a friend who has 5 girls.....Two are older. She loves my boys so she might be interested. How much is the adoption fee for him? I would assume it will cover the neuter.....
So I can tell her about him.

the neuter is free as far as i know. the adoption fee is just your basic insurance that no snake feeders come looking and could be waived if the right person came along. she would have to pass screening though. we're not worried about making any money so long as we know that rose will be loved and cared for as he should. if we can find that then the adoption fee doesn't matter. she can either respond here or pm either me or riana.

She filled out an application once with Holly and was approved so I am sure that wouldn't be a problem. She adopted two of my baby girls and they have a great life...I will vouch for her.
I will ask her and get back to you.....

I just spoke with her about Rose and she would love to have him. The cage she has now isn't big enough for 6 so she will get a double FN as soon as she can. I can PM you her phone number or give her yours whatever is easiest.

please give her my number. i don't have a long distance plan. if she has access to the internet i could give my msn and we could talk there instead if she would rather.

I have a medium-sized marchioro cage that I had Rose and Guild in that I'm willing to give/sell to her to keep him in if she doesn't get the double FN before he's ready to go, if this goes through. I'll have to talk to my parents and see what they want to do with it, since it was a gift from them, so I don't know if they would want me to give it away or not.

I'm so happy she's interested in him! Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help out with this. I will be easier to contact through my email (I can't check jorats at work), so if you want it, Dahlas, reply here and i'll PM it to you. :3

Oh we have lots of cages between us so no need for another one. But thank you for the offer.
Her girls are in a Martins R-695 and we have a single FN that Rose can go in for now.....But neither is big enough for 6 rats so she will have to buy a double......
How old is Rose....Would he be happier with Babies or older girls. We could intro him to the older girls and put three in one cage for now until she gets a bigger cage. I am sure she can work something out.

I will PM you Riana :D

he is between 1- 1 1/2 years. but riana would have a more accurate age. he very playful though so i think he would be fine with the young ones. then again he's a male and likes his sleeps and cuddles so he would be fine with the older girls as well. does she want me to hold him for 3 weeks after the neuter until he's safe to go with girls or does she want him home sooner should she be the one that takes him?

He's just over a year old, but where I got him from a pet store, I'm not exactly sure how old he was. I assume he was 5 weeks old, so that would make him around 15 months old. As for who he would be better in, he has been with both young rats and adult rats, so I would ask twitch that. He was always good with his brothers here, but perhaps twitch would be able to say how he was with her little Chancey.

i have not heard anything from your friend. i assumed you had my phone number but i could have been wrong and that very well n=may be the hold up. i've pmed you with it

I couldn't find it.....so yes please send it to me again
my friend is having minor surgery today...nothing serious so I am sure will call you in the next few days.....as soon as she feels better.

Back