Foster neuters went well!! and I am falling.....PHOTOS

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must be weird cause I feel no guilt in taking away their goolies. :giggle: The only regret is no seeing their full beautiful bodies anymore. :love5:
But I know just how much happier they are after a neuter. The change is just incredible!! :joy:

I don't feel guilt either ....
I do feel other things such as anxiety and regret, for example,
but no guilt as I have it done with their best interests in mind.

No, it isn't just you Lilspaz. Getting a male rat neutered, unless there is a clear issue like having an unspayed female in the house or a bad issue with aggression, does not feel comfortable to me. I feel like I'm doing it for my convenience, not the animal's welfare. Of course, it must make the animal happier not to be driven by urges that he won't ever have the chance to act upon. And the boys will have longer lives than if they were wild and competing for food and mates.

But then I start wondering about whether it is right to keep animals as pets, caged and under my control. I question the whole idea of pets, and wonder what it would be like if some powerful species kept humans as pets (well, that's what slavery is all about). It bothers me to have to separate siblings and bonded cagemates, because it reminds me of the way people treat elephants (separating them without regard to their social structure and bonds).

I wonder at all the precautions that we take for our rats' safety; they don't get to choose whether to have a more interesting risky life or a safer duller one. I got thinking about that when smallvic's Melonie died. It made me want to keep the ratties inside, to be vigilant for flies in the house. That would work, I guess, but Melonie's life was enriched by having her turn in the "camping cage", and it was just bad luck that she got infested. Same goes for all the ratties who get to go outside for photo shoots and play times; there is a risk, but also a lot of benefit. The issue for me is that they don't get to choose. Maybe they don't have the capacity to think ahead and choose, but I don't know that for sure.

In other words, the neutering issue gets me ruminating about things that have no easy answers. In the short term, what I do is OK because my rats were already alive and might have ended up as snake food if I hadn't fostered or adopted them. In the long term, I don't feel comfortable with the concept of "owning" and having complete control over another living thing for its whole life, even though I have the best of intentions.

My rats are probably wondering what I'm going on about: "Doesn't she realize that we own her? Quit ruminating and bring on the peas"

Godmother said:
But then I start wondering about whether it is right to keep animals as pets, caged and under my control. I question the whole idea of pets, and wonder what it would be like if some powerful species kept humans as pets (well, that's what slavery is all about). It bothers me to have to separate siblings and bonded cagemates, because it reminds me of the way people treat elephants (separating them without regard to their social structure and bonds).

You are certainly not alone with that thinking, and I think that the more you get involved with rescue - the more and more that thought plagues you.
I have become so much against having any animal companions in the last few years, or having any animal in captivity at all, that it just makes my heart ache. I just look upon the whole situation on this planet as a holocaust for all of them. The meat industry, zoos, aquariums, laboratories, shelters, and even beloved pets - they all make me sad to the bottom of my soul. I wish for nothing more than for it to all come to an end for every single one of them. Yes even if it means their extinction, because being extinct is better than living a life of suffering at the hands of humans. I don't know any person who would choose hellish suffering over death, and I am sure animals would choose death if they could in most cases as well.
But, being a rescuer means that you didn't choose to bring any of them into this world. You are only acting as someone coming along and cleaning up someone elses selfish mess. Those rats need you to do what is best for them, because chances are you are the only one who ever has. You didn't create a demand for them to be born to a life of being caged, someone else did that, but you do have the ability to make the balance of that life as comfortable as possible and provide them with a level of love and compassion that they probably have never had before. I promise you that their little souls are grateful for you and the kindness that you give them, even if it isn't what you would consider absolutely 'perfect'.
I know that I will have companion animals as long as there are some to rescue, but if there were no homeless animals out there and all rescues and shelters were empty, then I would never have a companion animal again. Of course, I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

I don't think it is alright which is one reason why I am involved with rescues.

However, I don't think I would know how to live without having relationships with animals ...
But I don't own animals ... I hate cages, but at present they are necessary as the little chewers need protection from dangers they don't uderstand.

edit: The rats don't seem to mind their cages as long as they get lots of free range time ... they are usually very happy to go home and will let me know if they have been out too long.

Sunshine, whom I miss deeply, used to take care of me, owned me, and let me stay in his apartment ...

I've thought a lot about that too but when it comes to rats, I've had rats that loved me so much, that I know I was a benefit to them as well as them to me. My first Ness was like that. If she could have, she would have lived on me, 24/7.
If rats live a miserable life being caged, they certainly have a funny way of showing it. :giggle:

Dangers of bringing rats outside: When rats are outside they risk being picked off by a predator such as a cat or a hawk, getting parasites, running off and getting lost, and (this risk I'd not been aware of til recently) getting infested with bot fly larvae.

But short trips outside seem to be low risk if they are supervised. I've never done it, but I've seen great photos of ratties having fun climbing trees or picnicking on a picnic table. I know of someone who has a safe enclosed front porch, and smallvic has a cage on her deck that the ratties can enjoy while their cages are being cleaned.

As for being in cages, mine certainly love their cages. They don't like to be taken away from "home" for too long, and they certainly live comfortable lives in them! But they would love more frequent out times, I'm sure.

I can't even begin to tell you how thrilled I am that they found a lovely home with you! I'm sure they would have been happy with Holly as well, but you're closer and may not mind the occasional visit from me? Hopefully?

They look to be very adjusted to your home! I think they may have been overshadowed by Rose and Guild a bit (who are absolute attention-seekers it's not even funny.. well, okay, it is) so while I'm sure they miss their brothers, I'm sure they're glad to have the chance to be their own ratties and have the attention all to themselves!

I wish them the best of luck with you, Godmother! They'll have a wonderful home with you, I know it. Now I just have to find Rose and Guild a forever home... however Rose isn't doing too well today. He has an appointment with a new vet (Dr. Macgowan is on vacation so I'm taking him to Dr. Alexander, Raven's other vet) this afternoon, and I hope things turn out okay. He's just wheezing and making noises non-stop now, and last night he was very lethargic. I'm very very scared that I may not be able to do anything for my baby boy... he's already been on so much antibiotics.

Riana, you would always be welcome to visit your boys. I think that they'll be happy with Bill and the crazy Stella gang. Bill may not be so happy! He is tidy and Stella's gang are very messy. Maybe Loki & Freyr can be the peacemakers. :lol:

Back