Food Do's and Dont's

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for these instruction i never know what is good for rat, even i don't know anything about their diet. You have shared it very briefly which shows your hard work on the rat's nature.

Well it seems what we have been feeding the boys hasn't been as good as we thought, so we need some help with this. These are the dishes they have - large size and they get one filled with oxbox in their cage 24/7 and then once a day we give the big boys 1 bowl, the seven boys 2 bowls, and the new guys a 1/2 bowl of veggies/fruit
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=24173

I'm realizing that that seems to be too much fruit/veggies. We give them a lot of peas/corn - its their favorite and that will stop immediately. Unfortunately, its usually canned, but we thought that wasn't a problem since we were buying no salt/no sugar added. We are taking out all food high in protein. We will now be removing skin due to toxins that maybe on them since our washing might not be good enough. Organic foods will now be purchased whenever possible.

Any help would be appreciated. I have read over all the information here, but its a bit difficult to put together. Flax seed, how much do I give them? Fresh beans are alright, but dried beans must be cooked - correct. All berries are good for them? Rice, cook or uncooked?

If you are feeding them a good quality block, then all else is just bonus for them. You don't need to do rice or beans. Stick with veggies, dark leafy greens, a variety of coloured ones too. So mix it up, kale, broccoli, carrots, brussel sprouts, collards, red lead lettuce. I usually buy my guys the organic spring mix. And then I'll switch it up and do the kale, bok choy, zucchini. I don't do fruit much, because my guys will get diarrhea.
I have those dishes as well, love them. For the produce, give them as much as they'll eat in 30 minutes. That should give you an idea how much they can eat.

jorats said:
If you are feeding them a good quality block, then all else is just bonus for them. You don't need to do rice or beans. Stick with veggies, dark leafy greens, a variety of coloured ones too. So mix it up, kale, broccoli, carrots, brussel sprouts, collards, red lead lettuce. I usually buy my guys the organic spring mix. And then I'll switch it up and do the kale, bok choy, zucchini. I don't do fruit much, because my guys will get diarrhea.
I have those dishes as well, love them. For the produce, give them as much as they'll eat in 30 minutes. That should give you an idea how much they can eat.

yes, they get oxbow. I guess I'm just overthinking this...

What's the lowest protein diet one can easily get a hold of nowadays? My boys are on Oxbow, but only because in the past I couldn't get Harlan (short of swiping handfuls of it from my lab! XD) Have they made it available to the public at all, or are the massive 40-lb bags still the only way to get it?

Some rescues/stores (Mainely Rat Rescue is one) sell it to the public and repackage it in smaller packages. I've fed both and prefer Oxbow and I really feel Oxbow's better quality, even though it has a slightly higher protein content.

Thanks your all the input - I know what needs to be stopped and changed. While we tried to keep them on a healthy diet we may not have always given them the best treats, or too many, etc. They are already on a diet change and we are definitely reading labels closer. I have always looked at sodium/sugar, but never thought to look at protein.

Is honey OK? I have a great, 100% natural, organic, no additives, local-wildflower honey and I have been giving my rats some every few days with their fruits. No issues yet, but just would like to make sure as I know it is not fine for infants.

Also, what about greek and normal yogurt?

Honey is a sweetener and they shouldn't have a lot of sugar but it is unprocessed and unpasteurized honey is good for the immune system, if you can find local honey it may also help with seasonal allergies.

Small amounts of yogurt are fine. It is dairy and an argument can be made it's not part of our natural diet and Greek yogurt is higher in protein but it won't hurt them if you give small amounts. If you can get probiotic yogurt, even better :)

When you guys give your ratties brown rice is it cooked or uncooked? And what kind of beans are ok to buy and cook? Are squash seeds ok and do the also need to be baked first?

dspch911 said:
When you guys give your ratties brown rice is it cooked or uncooked? And what kind of beans are ok to buy and cook? Are squash seeds ok and do the also need to be baked first?

From what I've read rice should be cooked and rinsed, not sure about all beans... hum!
Here's a like to were I often check to see what foods are ok.
Source http://www.freewebs.com/rattyrescue/azratsafefoods.htm

SarahA said:
dspch911 said:

From what I've read rice should be cooked and rinsed, not sure about all beans... hum!
Here's a like to were I often check to see what foods are ok.
Source http://www.freewebs.com/rattyrescue/azratsafefoods.htm

Any dry beans need to be cooked. I tried cooked black beans and my brats turned their nose up and walked away.

I haven't tried beans yet on the rats. But then again, legumes are higher in proteins and also have lots of cellulose which rats don't digest, like us humans. But they do have lots of nutrition so in moderation is good.

One thing I've found my ratties love, wheat grass. I purchase the sprouted wheatgrass, the kind that is still growing in the little pot. They love to dig in the grass and eat the roots. They make a little nest and sleep in it too. I usually do this a day before I am planning to clean the cage since they make a mess with it. They really seem to like it though and it's fun to watch them dig and go crazy over it!

One thing I've found my ratties love, wheat grass. I purchase the sprouted wheatgrass, the kind that is still growing in the little pot. They love to dig in the grass and eat the roots. They make a little nest and sleep in it too. I usually do this a day before I am planning to clean the cage since they make a mess with it. They really seem to like it though and it's fun to watch them dig and go crazy over it!
that sounds wonderful

never heard of that before, where do you get it? in a super market or specialty store?

bet my guys would love that!!

For some reason my rats don't really care for any rat food I buy and prefer the fruits/veggies. I would like to start feeding a more natural diet and only a little bit of eat food. What kind of mix would be best to make? I was thinking a variety of nuts maybe rice or pasta but I'm not completely sure yet.

Back