Food Do's and Dont's

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is that minute rice in large quantities is bad for this. Normal polished white rice, brown rice, or hull/field rice should be fine, especially in small quantities.

Rice won't expand in the stomach, it simply gets digested but like PeachPeach said, minute rice is not good. I prefer whole wheat rice or long grain brown rice. I look for the food with the most nutrition.

Recently read that cheerios contain GMOs and since research demonstrates that GMOs cause cancer :( Cheerios also have been found to contain pesticides.
My ratties will now be getting organic cheerio-like cereal for occasional treat
Edit: I now give (natures path) organic kumut puffs as a treat as they do not contain GMOs and do not contain any additives

EDIT: from Lilspaz Rat Hospice

Quote:

Forbidden Foods List

Foods NOT to feed to your rat

• Alcohol – can be FATAL if given
• Bitter Almond – Bitter almonds may yield from 6 to 8% of hydrogen cyanide, a deadly substance.
• Blue Cheese – Contains Toxic Mold
• Chives – can destroy red blood cells and cause anemia
• Cat Food – too high in protein and fats
• Dog Kibble – as a staple it does not have the balanced nutrition a rat needs, a quality dog food can be used with special grain mixes to create a balanced staple diet.
• Egg (raw) – can contain salmonella
• Fats (from meats) – Rats do not have gall bladders and therefore they do not have the enzymes needed to digest the fat of meat (credit to spazrats).
• Garlic – can destroy red blood cells and cause anemia
• Green Bananas – Inhibits starch digestion
• Green Potato Skin and Eyes – Contains solanine, a toxin
• Leeks (raw) – can destroy red blood cells and cause anemia
• Licorice – Contains a suspected neurotoxin
• Onions – can destroy red blood cells and cause anemia
• Orange Juice – May contain d-limonene which can cause kidney cancer in male rats, but studies have shown that they would need to eat a lot of oranges to get enough d-limonene to cause these issues.
• Poppy Seeds – Can cause neurological damage, or may cause death.
• Raw Artichokes – Inhibits protein digestion
• Raw Bulk Tofu – May contain bacteria (packaged tofu is safe)
• Raw Dry Beans or Peanuts – Contain anti-nutrients, causes red blood cell clumping (note: the peanuts that you buy in stores are almost always roasted so are okay.
• Raw Onion – Can lead to anemia and an upset stomach
• Raw Red Cabbage and Brussel Sprouts – Contains an anti-nutrient that destroys thiamin
• Raw Sweet Potato – Contains cyanide-forming compounds
• Rhubarb – Contains high levels of oxalates which bind up calcium
• Wild Insects – May carry parasites

Foods to be used with caution when feeding to your rat

• Apples – Apples are fine, except for the seeds. Apple seeds contain a cyanide derivative that is deadly.
• Avocados – Avocados are high in fat and are a good treat to feed rats that need to gain weight quickly (make sure the fruit is ripe). However, the pit, rind, skin and leaves of avocados are toxic. The part of the fruit in contact with the pit has a higher concentration of toxins.
• Carbonated Drinks – Rats Can’t Burp (but they can fart) plus there is a lot of sugar and caffeine in these drinks.
• Chocolate – A very small bit of chocolate is okay and can actually temporarily alleviate respiratory distress, but only to be given during an attack, not on an ongoing basis as it will not prevent respiratory distress. This is only a short term solution until you are able to get to the vet for antibiotics.
• Dried Corn – Can have high levels of fungal contaminates which can toxic or lead to liver cancer. A little fresh corn is fine.
• Iceberg Lettuce – Full of water (which can be good), but has no nutritional value, plus may cause diarrhea.
• Peanut Butter – This can cause choking in rats. If you want to give your rats peanut butter, thin it out or mix it with something to make it less sticky.
• Bread/Crackers/Muffins – May cause choking in rats. These foods are often too dry on their own or become a solid mass while being chewed. It's advised to put something thin and liquidy on these items to prevent choking if you intend to feed them to your rats.
• Plums – The pit of the Plum has cyanogens in it, which are bound molecules of sugar and cyanide. When this bond is broken, the cyanide becomes free and able to act. The cyanogens don’t leak at all into the flesh of the fruit.

Final Words of Caution

• Mold Warning
Spoiled or moldy food can contain deadly toxins. Never give nuts, grains, vegies or other food that looks or smells odd or spoiled. Don’t buy too much food ahead. Molds can grow even in sealed plastic bags. When cutting up veggies, cut off the dried part that has been exposed from previous cutting and throw it away. If you see mold growing on a food, throw the whole thing away. Do not attempt to cut away the moldy section. Invisible mold filaments penetrate deep into the food.

• It's generally advised to remove the pit of any fruit that you are giving. "

* It's generally advised to remove the skin of any fruit that you are giving as well because of pesticides.

Last edited:
Not all GMO's have been linked with cancer, in fact very few have. Cheerios are generally pretty nutritionally devoid, but I wouldn't be concerned about treat amounts causing or exacerbating cancer due to modified wheat. And I say this as a human who won't touch wheat with a ten foot pole :)

We like dried mysis shrimp (from the fish food section), popcorn, and rice crispies as training treats. The rats go bonkers for them and it is pretty plain, easily digested treats. Plus rice tends to be more innocuous than wheat or corn in terms of inflammation. If the Cheerios concern you, I'd consider heading toward puffed rice or barley cereal. For the popcorn I tend to use heritage varieties with my own family, so no GMO concerns there, either. That it is super tasty is a bonus :D

Where I'm from, we eat a lot of "buckwheat" which I haven't really seen in the US a lot- except at Russian markets, or exotic stores. I think it's pretty healthy for us, and my rats like it. Has anyone fed this to rats/knows the benefits?

Aida said:
Where I'm from, we eat a lot of "buckwheat" which I haven't really seen in the US a lot- except at Russian markets, or exotic stores. I think it's pretty healthy for us, and my rats like it. Has anyone fed this to rats/knows the benefits?

Buckwheat is not actually wheat but a different grain altogether. It's gluten free and high in protein so while it's fine to give to your rats, you should give it in moderation. I make it for breakfast often and I sometimes give the left overs to the rats, it's similar to oatmeal.

I think I read some where that dandelion greens are good for rats to eat so I bought some, but don't want to give it to them until I confirm that and of course, I cannot find anything on it again..... Does anyone know?

While I'm waiting for my babies to get here, I've been trying to figure out a diet for them. I have another month or so, but it's stressing me out lol. I've found this: http://www.ratsrule.com/diet.html and wondered what everyone here thought about this diet. The thing I noticed was that I personally thought there should be a certain amount of veggies/fruits for them in addition to the dog food/grain parts. I'm hoping you guys will help ease my stress with this. I want to do right by these babies. :(

So, I have a question.. It says Onion is reccomended a couple of times, I didnt think Onion would be a "Safe" food for a rat considering many other mammals cannot digest it, (dogs, cats, hamsters etc) So, is Onion safe to give?

I have a question as well concerning chocolate chips I've seen a couple of videos and and seen a few people post over threads about feeding them to their rat.. I always thought they were a big no no unless trying relieve URI stress and only dark chocolate at that... Am I incorrect on this theory of mine?

I read onion was on the forbidden food listbecasue ti can give tummy aches. I avoid it

chocolate chips are high in sugar adn fat and caffine can cause a raise in heart rate. I woul also avoid it unless given in extreme moderation

AmandaTrexica said:
While I'm waiting for my babies to get here, I've been trying to figure out a diet for them. I have another month or so, but it's stressing me out lol. I've found this: http://www.ratsrule.com/diet.html and wondered what everyone here thought about this diet. The thing I noticed was that I personally thought there should be a certain amount of veggies/fruits for them in addition to the dog food/grain parts. I'm hoping you guys will help ease my stress with this. I want to do right by these babies. :(

Suebee's diet is not generally considered complete or well balanced, at least not by this community. Simply looking at fat, protein, fibre and carbs is too simplistic does not cover all the bases when comparing foods. Dogs and rats have very different diets in the wild and it's very likely they have very divergent needs of many vitamins and minerals. Different species break down and absorb foods differently and it's hard to analyse for that without being very knowledgeable.

If you use a rat block as a basis for the Suebee's diet, what's the point? You are offering a well rounded staple diet and then watering it down with a mix that isn't very detailed and could very well be poorly balanced. The days of not being able to find palatable lab blocks are long past, there's no reason to resort to Suebee's diet. The Rat Fan Club has a more precise homemade diet but it's not whole food based and from what I've read on other forums, rats seem to do better on blocks. Offering a staple diet of a quality lab blocks (approx 80% or a rat's diet) and supplementing it with fruits and vegetables daily (try to offer a variety and opt for brightly coloured fruits and veggies as they often pack more of a nutritional punch) is a good balance between a processed diet and one that includes greash foods that provide what a block can't.

There's a lot of info on blocks in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12402 The general consensus is that Harlan Teklad (2014, 2016 and 2018), Oxbow Regal Rat and Living World Hamster Extrusion (available mostly in Canada) are the best available.

As Victoria said, the best diet for rats is a good quality block (aprox 80% of the diet)
and daily vegs, and occassional healthy treats such as a piece of fruit, or cooked grains or cereals, etc (approx 20% of diet).

Suebees diet is not a well balanced diet for rats and as with any mix, they wil pick out the parts they like the best, thus not getting their nutritional needs met. As previously mentioned, years ago it was difficult to find a good quality block for rats but that is no longer the case. Dog food is not good for rats as it is high in protein and does not meet their nutritional needs. With all the recalls in the last few years re dog food even if feeding rats dog food was ok nutritionally (which it isn't) it wouldn't be worth the risk, imo.

Chocolate is not good for rats for the reasons previously stated.
A small amount of Dark chocolate can be given in an emergency to try to keep a rat's airway open while you are trying to get them to a vet. Milk chocolate should never be given.

Rats love healthy treats such as vegs and fruit. Sugar and salt are very unhealthy for them so best not to give treats with a lot of sugar. Their lives are already much too short without feeding them unhealthy food like people choose to eat.

Thanks so much, guys. I was just trying to cove all the bases with food, mostly because the pet store rats I had years ago were fed seed mixes, labeled for rats but obviously not good for them. I'm nervous this time around and want to do the best for my new babies. Thanks for all of the help. :)

Ace8670 said:
I have a question as well concerning chocolate chips I've seen a couple of videos and and seen a few people post over threads about feeding them to their rat.. I always thought they were a big no no unless trying relieve URI stress and only dark chocolate at that... Am I incorrect on this theory of mine?
If you want to keep your rats healthy, then you are not incorrect.

Back