Fleece vs. Flannel

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevalrose

I've been making my own liners for my CN in flannel and they work just fine but they got chewed up. I'm wondering if they would be kinder to fleece? Anybody have an opinion?

I use fleece for my hammocks and it always gets chewed,corduroy was the same.I don't think there is any material mine won't chew.

Your rats either will chew, or they won't. the difference in the two fabrics is more one of function and safety. Flannel is cotton - it is absorbent and will hold water/urine(ie, get damp when peed on). It is woven, which means once there is a hole, there can be strings present which present a danger to toes and tails, especially in very young rats. It tends to be cheaper per yard, but thinner than fleece. Fleece is polyester, knitted and felted, basically. No strings for danger, thicker on your kids feet. It wicks, which means it pulls liquids through it, allowing urine to dry on the surface below it, or be held by cotton below it, keeping the surface your rats walk on, dry.

So for liners, fleece is a better option? My only issue is that sometimes urine sits on top of the fleece...would this be prevented if there's something underneath?

Chevalrose said:
So for liners, fleece is a better option? My only issue is that sometimes urine sits on top of the fleece...would this be prevented if there's something underneath?
Yes, I make my liners with batting in between two layers of fleece, the batting absorbs the urine, while the fleece stays dry. You can also put a towel underneath fleece if you don't use sewn liners.

How is it if you have fleece on top and cotton/Flannel under? would that be better and would it stink?(sorry to steal the thread)

MomRat said:
Your rats either will chew, or they won't. the difference in the two fabrics is more one of function and safety. Flannel is cotton - it is absorbent and will hold water/urine(ie, get damp when peed on). It is woven, which means once there is a hole, there can be strings present which present a danger to toes and tails, especially in very young rats. It tends to be cheaper per yard, but thinner than fleece. Fleece is polyester, knitted and felted, basically. No strings for danger, thicker on your kids feet. It wicks, which means it pulls liquids through it, allowing urine to dry on the surface below it, or be held by cotton below it, keeping the surface your rats walk on, dry.

No strings doesn't necessarily mean less danger unfortunately. :( I've stopped using fleece liners now.... looking forward to my new pans getting here so I can use actual bedding.

RatsForever said:
Unfortunately, I can't use any kind of liners - my rats chew the liners. I've come to peace with wiping their FN every day.
Have you considered buying pans for the FN? I have bass pans and love them!

Moon said:
MomRat said:

No strings doesn't necessarily mean less danger unfortunately. :( I've stopped using fleece liners now.... looking forward to my new pans getting here so I can use actual bedding.

^^ :sad3:

We use flannel in our cages, only because I have a lot of fabric and the ability to make quite a few pairs for the cages and change them out more often. I like the fact that they soak up the urine though, cleaner tootsies and bums. Main thing with fleece is it will wick away the moisture, but make sure you are not using fabric softners with them as they leave a water proof film on fleece :) I cannot wait to go all fleece, or half but fleece is like $15/meter here :(

Dazzle - What kind of batting do you use? Like, the fluffy kind you can pull apart or the more coarser kind that comes in a roll? Or something else?

Chevalrose said:
Dazzle - What kind of batting do you use? Like, the fluffy kind you can pull apart or the more coarser kind that comes in a roll? Or something else?
The stuff on a roll, that way it can be sewn to end up in the middle of the liner just like any other fabric, much easier and more even than trying to stuff it :)

Chevalrose said:

If you wash your liners with fabric softener(or dry them with dryer sheets) they will become more waterproof, and less able to wick away liquid.

Cotton is absorbent, poly will repel liquids :) I use poly so my stuff doesn't stink as quick lol

I think cotton is a natural fiber where poly is a man made fiber, which is why its not as absorbent. Personally, either is fine for use, depending on what you want it to do.
Someone else chime in, I'm new at rat bedding, this is all based on what I see with cloth diapering materials!

PitLuvs said:
Cotton is absorbent, poly will repel liquids :) I use poly so my stuff doesn't stink as quick lol

I think cotton is a natural fiber where poly is a man made fiber, which is why its not as absorbent. Personally, either is fine for use, depending on what you want it to do.
Someone else chime in, I'm new at rat bedding, this is all based on what I see with cloth diapering materials!
Yup, that's right. I prefer cotton, since i like it to absorb what the fleece wicks, but have had good luck with poly too. Poly also comes in thicker rolls, so it is good for if you want it to hold it's shape so it doesn't have to be held down to the pan.

Back