FISH NEED THERE OWN BOARD!!!! and my new beta

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamwarrior

AS much as i am a HUGE rat lover I am also a HUGE fish lover as well, I think fishes need there own little board too, I am an expert fish owner and could help any one out if they needed,

BUT

here is my newest member in my family, Hermon the beta fish

I had another beta Fred, but he passed after 2 1/2 years. he was listless for the last week or so before he died, the water chemistry was fine, so it was old age :(

Hermon is a happy young male, who has been blowing a bubble nest as soon as i got him home. he is ready to mate, did you know that the male beta is the one to raise to Fries?
after the female lays the eggs at the bottom he will bring them up to his bubble nest, if the eggs fall out he will bring them back up, after they hatch there tails hang out of the next if any fall the dad will bring them up again, HOWEVER when they are fully hatched and swimming around, he might eat them, lol. its a fish eat fish world. I was half thinking about breeding so i could have a wall of betas.

okay, here are the pictures!

He is had to photo graph
IMG_4749.jpg

His home.
IMG_4747.jpg

Just took some more pictures
IMG_4791.jpg

This is his bubble nest
IMG_4789.jpg

IMG_4779.jpg

IMG_4774.jpg

wow thats really cool. does the bamboo oxygenate or does he need a pump/filter system?

he is so pretty.. i want one :D

my mum has just got a new UV filter for our outside pond to try and make the water stay clear. tomorrow we are emptying the pond (the fun bit is catch the fish :D), changing the liner to new clean liner, and refilling it and setting up the new system. hopefully it will work

when i move out, i plan on getting some awsome looking tropical fish

i clean my bowl out regularly, and i am hoping the bambo will give oxygen

when cleaning out any fish tank, pond, bowl you need to keep some of the dirty water, or the fish could get sick from imbalance in the water, Took some time to get my Fish tank water right before adding in new fish, and even then some fish didn't make it.

Bamboo actually do better in soil and if they live in water it has to be cleaned weekly and the stems have to be washed.
Just so you know.

I was shocked when I learned this too, as I was going to get a betta and some bamboo but after reading I ended up not buying the betta and putting the bamboo in a nice jar with soil.

I've never put bamboo in water, mine have always been in soil with lava rock to hold water. I've had the same bamboo for about three years now. Heh. It's survived numerous cat attacks.

Good to know about the bamboo, I clean out my non filtered tanks/bowls weekly any ways, think i will just drop buy the dollar store and get some fake plants.

btw i got a female beta too, just got back, she is pretty. I am hoping she lay eggs and i will have a shelf full of bates!

IMG_4794.jpg

You're making me miss my betas! Gemini lived in a 1.5 gallon tank with an aquatic dwarf frog named Krimmit. Gemini lived in the middle-top part of the water while Krimmit burrowed into the rocks coming up only for air. They complimented one another for sure.

Can bettas really be happy in that size of a tank? I'm not trying to sound mean or anything like that, I'm genuinely curious. Any of the bettas I've had have always been in 5 gallon or larger tanks, with filters. But now I'm starting to think that's a bit excessive?

as long as water changing is done often its fine, but yes generally it is best to have a betta in a 5 - 10 gal tank. they were out of those tanks when i went to get the fishes, so the bowl and vase it is.

we had a beta named George. He died recently, ,and BOY do I have fish luck!
I've had goldfish live up to 4 yrs, and our Betta was 22ms old.
ALL my fish live for years, lol. I do nothing spectacular either, clean the water, feed them, talk to them, sing to them while i'm cleaning, etc.
Fish are awewome but i'm not getting another any time soon.

Yours are gorgeous DW!

henry's_mum said:
ALL my fish live for years, lol. I do nothing spectacular either, clean the water, feed them, talk to them, sing to them while i'm cleaning, etc.

Yours are gorgeous DW!

Believe it or not, a goldfish should live for 10 to 25 years or longer if it's given the proper care. The Guinness Book of World Records cites a goldfish named Tish that lived 43 years after being won at a fair in England in 1956

dreamwarrior said:
henry's_mum said:

Yours are gorgeous DW!

Believe it or not, a goldfish should live for 10 to 25 years or longer if it's given the proper care. The Guinness Book of World Records cites a goldfish named Tish that lived 43 years after being won at a fair in England in 1956

Well, didn't you just go and take my, "i'm such a good fish parent" bragging rights away!
:wink2:

I had a Betta who was full grown when I got him, and he lasted me almost 4 years. He went to and from Alabama with my dad and I multiple times, he had a jam jar with holes poked in the lid that fit our van's cup holder that he traveled in. He lived in a very large vase, about twice the size of yours... I felt bad finding out that I had actually not given him enough space.

He was an amazing fish, and I called Mike at work bawling my eyes out when I knew Jimmi was about to pass.

Odd thing was, he was brown with the thinnest bright red piping along the edge of his fins. He was the best.

I've been thinking about getting a betta for quite awhile but I've been reading up on them before I decide. My bf's sister had one that was given to her by her son's girlfriend and the fish long outlived the relationship :p he lived in a large vase with a plant but it wasn't a bambooo.
Speaking of bamboo, I have a couple that live in water and are doing really well. My bf gave me 3 stalks 4 years ago and they are so happy, with no problems, so about a year ago I decided to try to propogate it and chopped off one of the leaf stalks and it's growing like mad in water, it looks like a spider plant :D

My sister has had the same goldfish for 12 years now... I've heard that they're supposed to live 20 or more years.

Our Betta, Homer, has been going strong for three years. Not sure how old he was when we got him, though.

Back