FISH NEED THERE OWN BOARD!!!! and my new beta

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also a fish lover! I have a 60 gallon fresh with mostly tetras, some clams, some shrimp and a few other fun things. I also have a 10 gallon tank with 3 dwarf frogs and a beta. I love the beta fish! The oldest beta I had, lived from 2003 till 2007. I estimate about 4.5 years. Crazy huh!

My betta is now in a 10 gal tank, thinking about getting him some other friends that would suit his agressive personality, i have been doing some research and there are options out there, as long as the dont have long fins. but we will see, i kinda like the idea of the frogs.

I have a giant martini glass. I want to find someone who can blow a big, hollow glass olive for me, then I will put some chips of quartz in the bottom of the glass for salt crystals and get a red beta to name pimento :p

Scandalous said:
I have a giant martini glass. I want to find someone who can blow a big, hollow glass olive for me, then I will put some chips of quartz in the bottom of the glass for salt crystals and get a red beta to name pimento :p

I love that idea!

I used to have lots of bettas. I think I had up to 16 at a time at one point. I had a 20 gallon going with a 'sorority', now that was scary. 8 aggressive fish living together. But they did fine and nobody was ever attacked, unlike males some females can live together. ;) I've kept bettas in unfiltered bowls, never smaller then one gallon. Now though I prefer at least 2.5gallons for a betta. A filtered tank is easier to keep clean at least. The main problem with small tanks is keeping the temperature at 75-83*F, since bettas are tropical fish.

I am now currently fishless but I still have a 20 gallon that I am now feeding to keep up the cycle(an ecosystem of healthy bacteria that will maintain the ecosystem). I'm getting my Mom guppies for her birthday to fill the 20 gallon. :p Don't worry I'll be taking care of them.

Your bettas are beautiful but remember you can't just plop in a female and expect miracles to happen. Unlike rats it is much harder to successfully breed bettas and more times then not one or both of them get severely hurt.

Also I agree we need a fish board!

I have 2 55g tanks, a 33g and a 10g going at the moment. The 2 55s are planted one heavily ( looks like a jungle right now) and are home to angels, danios, plecs, cats, snails and bettas (one male in each tank). I have melanochromis auratus in the 33 and a bunch of betta girls ( 3 ct and 1 std) in the other. I also have killifish.

I hope you keep him in a larger tank than that previous one..

They are tropical fish, and should have a small heater to regulate the water temperature, as changes in temp can cause stress. They need to be in water with a temperature between 70°F - 85°F. Colder temperatures can also bring on a sickness called Fin-Rot, which is very disturbing and fatal to your fish. They're tail will eventually rot off completely, and the fish will no longer be able to swim, and will die.

It is optional to have a low-current filter in their tank (i always had one, and i used to have 16 bettas in my home) but without one, every 2-3 days there should be a water change.

Do you use any type of solution to take chlorine and other harsh chemicals out of the water? This is nessesary.

What you had him in is extremley unsuitable for him.. :( :(

Please don't breed them. It causes a lot of stress on the female if you don't know how to engage in the process correctly.. And what are you going to do with 30+ fry? Do you know they all have to be placed in seperate 2 gallon bowls (following the proper care for them) What are you going to do once they are old enough? Give them to a pet store to be put in thoes awful cups of water to be displayed and sold? Where are you going to find/put upwards of 30 fish bowls full of betta fish? Please don't breed them.

I'd just like to chime in that some people DO have the money, time, space, and patience to keep 30+ bettas. A friend of mine had a "betta room" where she had 25+ very good sized tanks, each with a betta in it. She did a lovely job of setting them all up, she built shelves to go around the room with lighting in the tops of the shelves to shine down into the tanks. I'm not sure if I'm explaining that properly, but it was really nice.

She researched breeding for about a year before she bred them, and she only did it the one time. It was a really cool experience for her but VERY time consuming to clean all those tanks! It would always take her a full day to clean everything. It was also very heavy on her bank account... To get a decent 2.5 gallon (at least!) tank and accessories for each could come to $40-$50 per tank, depending on where you shop from. She got some decent finds at garage sales and Value Village, so if you're looking for a tank start there. But it still took quite a bit of money. Especially for the food and water conditioner!

But yeah, just saying, some people CAN do it, and do it successfully. Just not very many people. Heh. I could never do it. Partly because I already have so many animals I care for.

Some people, yes. But people who keep bettas in a fancy vase, or anything less than 2.5 gallons (i'm gald he's now in a 10gal! :D) do not. It's not a matter of if you CAN do it, it's if you can do it PROPERLY. I had my own job, and all of my money went into my fish. They are a LOADDDDDD of money, worse than cats or dogs i would say. :giggle:

I'm not doubting that some people can, i know they can. I did it.

I completely agree, and I think dreamwarrior is on the right path by putting him in a 10 gallon! The fancy vases are done so much that not a lot of people know they're not a suitable home. I'm really glad she was able to learn from various resources that a bigger tank is better.

DW, he's probably so happy, you'll really get to see his personality now :)

Like I said before, if you do your research, and I don't mean just a day's reading, but months of research into Betta breeding, and if you have a couple thousand dollars to invest in tanks, gravel, filters, heaters, lights, decorations, food, water conditioner, and medicine in case they get sick, for 30+ baby bettas, then I think you can do it. Just make sure you know what to expect! :)

Scandalous said:

Very fun idea!

Not really, it's not good at all for the Betta. Very unsuitable.

Scandalous wrote:

Very fun idea!

Not really, it's not good at all for the Betta. Very unsuitable. Please research owning any type of fish as you would a cat/dog or rat.They need at least 2.5 gallons. So unless you have a 2.5 gallon martini glass...

Tarah said:
Not really, it's not good at all for the Betta. Very unsuitable. Please research owning any type of fish as you would a cat/dog or rat.They need at least 2.5 gallons. So unless you have a 2.5 gallon martini glass...

I think it was meant as a joke. ;)

Yes I know, I've seen lots of people who do. It's really sad. I just meant that I think the people here were joking around. ;)

*edit* I decided to dig up a few pics of my own bettas:
hollysa90015038.jpg

Sly^
DSCF1625.jpg

Risteek^
hollyA9007010.jpg

Jem^
hollyA90013042.jpg

Vittorio^
DSCF0705.jpg

That's a bad picture of Casper but I always loved his colour^

I have a goldfish for nearly 4 years now. I stole him out of a guys piranah tank. Poor bugger had no tail and I couldn't stand to see him in the fish tank. Goldies should live in a minimum of 10g tank. I wonder if a beta would fair well in the tank with my goldfish.....Or would they compete? Meh, I could just get a girl to put in with Shorty (and his tail has grown back wonderfully).

Not bad for a wal*mart fish eh?

lj: Goldies and betTas cannot live together as they require different setups. Goldfish need a different diet then bettas and they are cold water fish while bettas are tropical water fish. Goldfish should be housed with other goldfish as they are very social but you will need a more appropriately sized tank. 30 gallons for 2 goldfish is considered minimum since they can grow to be rather large and they are messy fish that require heavy filtration.

lj DO NOT put a goldfish with a betta...we did this a few years ago, cuz we got a fish tank and then everyone in the family got to buy a fish they liked and that was their fish. My Mom picked a betta, my dad had a pinapple swordfish, my lil baby bro (at the time) had the snail I think, my sis had something I can't remember and I had a shibyukin (sp?) goldfish.

My Mom's fish would always chase mine and we never knew why (we didn't even know what a betta truly was), the cahsing went on for almost a year until my Mom's fish caught and murdered mine. I never forgot coming to feed the fish and finding blood all in the tank. I was only ten yet I remmber that sight all too clearly. I wish we knew better. I miss Gilbert.

Back