Fighting

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronwyn

I know I've brought this up before, but my two girls have reallly been going at it. After 14 hours of free time in my room yesterday they normally sleep the next day. But today it's all squeals and tumbling and the two cats and dog are watching this with great interest.

Elphie's been cut on her neck as there's blood running down her foreleg.

I let them out hoping that would distract them but it hasn't. Now wherever Elphie is hiding Brie hunts her down, fights her, and drives her off.

This hasn't happened before. :(

Edit: There are quite a number of bloody cuts on her so I put Elphie in her own cage complete with peas to keep her happy for a little bit.

It really is strange for two cage mates to start doing this, all I can think is that the cage is too small and after having so much out time, perhaps one or both aren't too happy about being put back in?
What does Brie do when Elphie is in another cage?

I was wondering about that :/ They often have their spats but blood rarely occurs.

When I took them out Brie wasn't interested in playing/exploring, she wanted to fight her sister. Chased her all over the room when she found new hiding spots. :(

Brie was placed back in their cage and has gone right to sleep!

I hope you're right! Both are sleeping in their respective cages. Poor girls. :( The Polysporin is licked right off too. :doh:

I also get so freaked out when my boys get into it which they have been lately ( they aren't fixed) so I think it's a territorial thing because I could live in their cage and there is never blood :gaah: I would think the way I freak out over them that I would make a terrible mother :razz2: Would a spray bottle help? :?:

I wouldn't use a spray bottle, rats have such sensitive lungs and noses, I'd be worried getting water in there.

Maybe they aren't fighting, maybe it's playing?

I remember when I first got my Pascal and Vincent. Vincent was always being put on his back by his brother and he would scream bloody murder. Then one night, it was around 1am, I decided to just hide and watch... sure enough, Vincent would walk up the ramp and then jump on Pascal, Pascal would then flip his brother and Vincent would scream again. They did this several times, it was a game. crazy rats! :crazy4:

Well, it's 6 pm, and I decided to test the waters. I let Elphie out of the little cage after they both woke up, and opened the main cage door. Brie didn't want to come out. And Elphie wanted in. Brie kept swatting at her when she tried to get in and caused yet another gash on Ephie :( :(

I'm at a loss. Nothing's changed to make either of them so stressed!

Bronwyn said:
Well, it's 6 pm, and I decided to test the waters. I let Elphie out of the little cage after they both woke up, and opened the main cage door. Brie didn't want to come out. And Elphie wanted in. Brie kept swatting at her when she tried to get in and caused yet another gash on Ephie :( :(

I'm at a loss. Nothing's changed to make either of them so stressed!

no biting? are they scratches or gashes?

Many scratches, a few patches where it looks like teeth took a chunk out of her. Her neck is pretty gross looking right now.

The last time this happened was when Beau (Nicole's boy) was a babe and his dad (presumably) tore up his face and he was seperated from the lot so he could heal in peace. But by the time he was all better his brothers were adopted. :(

Tangent, I know.

There aren't any abnormal physical signs on Brie at all, but maybe she's not feeling well? There is the mystery of the Advil. : x But would that cause her to be ridiculously protective of the cage?

I might have to : x

My dad just got home and said, "Oh, impressive..." when he saw Elphie's neck.

Basically he recommended a 24 hour time out before trying to get them together again and in the meantime to clean the wounds with peroxide and then dab on this BNP ointment he brought home for her.

He brought up what mamarat said - it may just be Brie not feeling well.

Bronwyn said:
I might have to : x

My dad just got home and said, "Oh, impressive..." when he saw Elphie's neck.

Basically he recommended a 24 hour time out before trying to get them together again and in the meantime to clean the wounds with peroxide and then dab on this BNP ointment he brought home for her.

He brought up what mamarat said - it may just be Brie not feeling well.

sudden mood changes are not a good sign. Keep an eye on her health. She might be extra hormonal during her heat, etc.

Sorry to say this Bron, but that cage is scary small for 2 adult girls, and even if you scrubbed down Gwinny's old filthy cage it might be better with a bit more room.

OR the girls have been watching the FN thread over your shoulder and are showing their dissatisfaction with their present accomodations. :lol:

It could also be that Elphie is not feeling well, and Brie is picking on her as a defensive mechanism? Yanno... clean out the weak of the herd?

But I'm inclined to agree with Shelagh. Have you cage calculator-ed the dimensions?

If you are looking at getting another cage. The one I bought off ebay was a great deal and perfect size for two rats (actually three). It was $130 shipping and everything canadian. Less expensive then most cages for what we got.

We love it. Just a recommendation if one was needed.

Don't worry, lol, I will be investing in a bigger one.

I was going to when I first adopted them but their previous owner said they'd be fine with lots of playtime (she had a few too many and was moving). And I posted the cage on the other forum and people said it was fine provided they have more levels and things to make more room. So that's why I didn't get them a bigger cage and thought they were okay. ;)

Well it's been more than a day and we're no further.

I got an idea after browsing on the web for cages. I stuck the top of their SuperPet cage onto an old terrarium I had from my mice years ago and added a level in between. So it's MUCH bigger.

I put the girls on the carpet to get reintroduced and though Elphie seemed really excited to see her sister, Brie was still pissy about it. When they found their new digs, Brie claimed dominance right away and refused entry. This is a cage she's never seen before and the top half was scrubbed clean to rid of their smell.

So...how sure are we of this "the cage is causing the problem" theory?

Edit: Well this is mildly amusing...but not. They're making trips from their respective cages stealing food and putting it in their own. So Brie's moved out it seems. :(

Back