Fighting

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jo - I think you're right. ;)

At work I mentioned this to one of the vets who also thought it was because Brie wasn't feeling well. The Advil is a possibility but it could be anything. She called me this morning to say a collegue of hers also disagrees with the cage theory simply because there haven't been warning signs, particularly with no change in their daily routine. It was too sudden, and I would have seen her grow more agitated before a sudden spazz attack after a year. So with three vets going for the "one rat's not feeling well" theory I'm inclined to go with that.

Brie and Elphie were both given check ups and nothing seems to be amiss so I've been advised to try once a day to bring them together and in the meantime, continue to switch them between the cages to live among the other's smell.

Just in case anyone was wondering. ;) Wish us luck!

Thanks guys. :)

I'm happy to report that Elphie is healing really nicely. She's also so good when it comes to the multiple applications of BNP and peroxide to her wounds. Much like baby Beau, they stay still and are model patients...though they like to clean it off right after. :doh: She's also growing more attached to me. It's a normal thing for the girls to hang out on my lap when out on free time in my room, but Elphie seems to recognize it's her only safe place. : / Selfishly, I enjoy her company, but I also wish her sister would be kinder to her so she can be a normal rat again.

Unfortunately Brie is still being violent when Elphie gets too close (in the open room) and will still chase her and bite her if she catches her, so we're no closer to reuniting them. :( So I'll keep trying!

I sure hope this trouble ends soon for both your girl's sake.
My Erin & Wanda got on great, then for about a week Wanda was bugging heck out of Erin and Erin was always trying to find a place away from her. It was very sad. But then it stopped as quick as it started and they've been closer than ever. :?: I dunno what happened but I hope it happens for you too cause I know this has to be hard on your heart!

Thank you for your words of encouragement :)

I think we're in the clear in terms of infection from Elphie's wounds which is a relief. *knocks on wood*

Elphie's still excited to see her sister when I let them out, particularly today (she popcorned, hehe), but Brie's still resisting. On the plus side, I haven't had to chase them down and break anything up yet! Though it's only been half an hour, lol.

Edit: I spoke too soon. -_-

It's the super cute hoppity hop they make when running and doing little hops. If they were rabbits, we could call it a binky. :D

I guess we call it popcorning cause it's similar to popcorn when it pops.

I don't often see it in my adults, lol. They move rather lazily most of the time. ;D Elphie acted much like a baby rat - popcorning in one place, just rotating around before moving a bit then doing it again, haha. It stopped once Brie made it clear the feeling wasn't mutual.

So since today went relatively well (only one incident) I put them back in their cage together for a few hours and monitered closely. It seems Elphie's bitter about being mauled because she kept flipping Brie on her back which is suprising to me. So I'm taking it slow and I'm going to keep them together in the day and apart at night when I can't watch them. Just until I'm confident I won't wake up to something horrible.

:banana:

So I didn't go very slowly as planned BUT the girls are sleeping together all curled up and not a single scrap in the night! At least that woke me up that is and no one's marked. I'M SO HAPPYYYY!

My dad said not to get ahead of myself and still use caution so I will but this is definitely wonderful!

*hugs her girls*

I was concerned about buying them a new cage but having to seperate them anyway so it'd be a waste. Now I can do it. :D

That's very exciting.

Just a thought.. your current cage is suitable for one rat, right? What if you just bought an identical one? That way you would have two if you needed to seperate them, or you can fandangle them into one cage if they are getting along?

The Superpet cages seem pretty easy to modify.

It's a great idea but this particular cage only has one door - a large one at the front that swings open. If they made some "in between" section which I thiiiiink they might do, I could definitely buy that.

The two cages is a good idea in case this happens again, I'm just unsure of how I'd make them fit together to make a single cage is all. :)

I was thinking about how I had assembled my cage... and the fact that the peices all folded together and clipped in place, and I was thinking the top was a foldy/clippy peice.... I just took a look now and I see the top was the only peice that didn't fold/clip, only the sides did. :wallbang: There goes my fabulous idea.

Back