Eye removal - Post surgery news on page 2

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's definitely the right thing to do to have it removed - keep in mind, she probably can't see a thing out of that eye with the way it is, it's probably hurting her (or feels mightily uncomfortable). So she won't honestly notice that it's gone (likely blind in that eye, I'm guessing, just given the swelling and the bulge which would put pressure on that optic nerve), and she'll probably be really happy that it doesn't feel uncomfortable.

I totally understand your concern, though! Unnecessary procedures are bad, but this is being done for *all* the right reasons. It'll give her a much happier, more comfortable life!

Heck, Eli's totally blind now, and he's pretty good at getting around, right Shelagh? Asides from his liking order and no changes, of course.

Final date for surgery will be set on Monday, as they need to move a few things around to fit Cookie in that day. But I've got the convincing I needed. That eye is coming out.

Poor Cookie... :sad3:

I think the 19th might be way too long to wait. That's a full three and and a half weeks away!! I would call back and ask whats the soonest they can do it, and tell them that its a pretty emergent situtation. Any doctor I know will have time put aside every week for emergencies, because some always crop up.

Edit to fix dumb mistake.

So there it is - the eye came out on Tuesday.

Monday night, I drove Cookie and her sister Biscotte to the vet, along with Chester for his neuter, and Cookie was relieved of her huge eye on Tuesday afternoon. Surgery went great, no issue whatsoever. I picked everyone up on Wednesday night and as happy as I was that everyone was good and healthy, it still was a shock to see what my little Cookie looked like. My first thought was : OMG, she looks like a leper! :huh: Plus, she was on opiates and groggy, she just wanted to be left alone and sleep - poor little girl.

I have her on Baytril, Metacam and Buprenorphine (which is being stopped tonight), but she is not showing any signs of pain at all. I closed the CN to limit the risk of other rats picking at her wound and since, she's been living with her sister, having playtime at night with all her old cagemates. On night one, she was sooooo happy to see them! The moment I put them down on the couch, she started running and chasing them, didn't take long for her to get back to her favorite game: picking on Lili! I opened up the CN today (they were all fast asleep, they are no yet aware) since we will be home today and tomorrow to check on them.

Without further due, here are before and after pictures of my now lepery Cookie.

Before

After

This last picture was taken on Wednesday night, upon her arrival home. The glue has now all cleared up, so the leper look is gone. I did find a drop of blood/porph in the corner of her eye this morning, sponged it off with Baxedin and I don't think it came back. She was not showing any sign of pain, so I'm not too worried, but I'll keep a close eye (...) on it.

Will be posting her current look after she awakes. Once her hair grows back, I'm sure we won't even notice the eye is missing! :thumbup:

I'm glad she's doing well. It's funny how groggy rats perk up after surgery when they are reunited with their buds. I hope my girls do as well next week...

I'm so glad it went well for her! Wish I'd seen this thread earlier, and I'd have added a testimony about my sweet Tia. She had glaucoma, her eye just kept getting bigger and it wasn't functioning. I was scared to death, but I trusted my vet's judgement, and everything went fine. She climbed the CN almost as if nothing had happened.

Kisses to your sweetie! :tumkiss: May she continue to amaze you with how much better she feels now that she is rid of that eye.

Thank you all for your good wishes - Cookie is still doing very well! They finally realized the CN was opened, and besides Mac trying to prevent Cookie from getting to the top level (and she can escape him very easily :giggle: ), there was no ordeal. Her eye socket leaked a little from time to time, but nothing worrisome. I was able to take a few photos to show the healing progress.

From Wednesday night (day after surgery)

From tonight (3 days after surgery)

You will notice that on both pictures, she is eating with Cabotine... and btw, what's floating in the second plate of Ensure is badly mixed Booster. The new bottle I got this week does not liquefy as nicely as my old one...

lbingermann said:
I hope your baby is better!! Approximately how much does it cost for eye removal surgery?

Hum... I will need to go back to my archives as this was done back in 2011 :wink2:

And Aida... Cookie has past since then, but we were able to give her over a year of happy life, eventhough her genetics was truly horrible.

Unepuce said:
And Aida... Cookie has past since then, but we were able to give her over a year of happy life, eventhough her genetics was truly horrible.
Oh. I'm sorry Unepuce, I didn't look at the post dates. :sad3:

Back