Eye removal - Post surgery news on page 2

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unepuce

I have mentionned before that I need to have Cookie's eye removed, as it is overgrown and 2 months on abs didn't show any result (rules out the abcess theory). This is what she looks like:

Now, my head believes this is the right thing to do, but my heart needs convincing... any opinion?

EDIT - Finally got to repost the picture. Got it as big as can be!

I have had 2 rats that had an eye removed and am having one done today. The first 2 did fine after surgery. I would say go for it.

Its really hard to make the decision of "disfiguring" your furkids for health reasons - like the removal of a limb or eye. But critters are a lot more resilient than we give the credit for. I had a hamster who had to have a leg amputated due to a bad break at her previous home, and well, the very next day after the surgery, she was running on her wheel. Seriously, it took me longer to get over my squeamishness over the amputation site than it took her to adapt to life without the limb.

Has your vet given you any advice regarding Cookie's eye? Is there a significant risk in getting the eye removed? I would be reluctant to leave the eye alone in that condition in case it starts growing again.

My vet wants to have it removed. We tried the abs when she saw my reluctance, but it is bad enough for her to fear having Cookie lose her eye when she manipulates her - Cookie is a very squirmy little thing (and a little bully :cheeky: ).

I KNOW I have to do it - called the vet this morning to ask for a final estimate and see if surgery could be made the same day Chester is getting his neuter :whistle:, but I had to tell them I would get back with my decision by Monday, as it does hurt me to do this to her... :(

I'm sure I will be calling in tomorrow and give them the go ahead... but right now, I feel I am failing her but not being able to cure her.

That picture is so tiny for me. Any way to see it bigger?

Just remind yourself that LOADS of rats walk around with just one eye and do fine, and they can't see that amazingly anyway. You're not failing your girl at all by making the decision to do surgery, you are doing the right thing!

I think if you're head knows it's the right choice, then it is. Lots of rats cope, even with 2 eyes they don't see so well anyway, yeah? She'll probably be more comfortable once it's out.

I can't see the pic very well, but I do know animals recover amazingly well from inoculations and amputations. If the vet thinks it's necessary, and knowing the vet I'm sure it is, it's probably the best course of action. I'm sure Cookie and Chester will do great.

I have had 3 done...

Lady had a larger eye than the other one and for awhile it was fine, then it started to bulge..

Ladyseyefeb7.jpg

She was an older lady, but healthy and feisty and I had no choice. My vet removed the eye and glued it shut...it was amazing. She barely noticed. I gave her pain meds for several days but she bounced back to her feisty self, and started climbing and exploring again :thumbup:

Night of the surgery
Ladydayofsurgery2feb12.jpg

Climbing again!
Lady1mar12.jpg

Tepeu was next, not sure if it was traumatic glaucoma but it went from okay to bad very quickly...2 days or so?

Teppyseyefeb14.jpg

to the morning of her surgery
Teppyseyefeb17.jpg

The night of her surgery
Tepeuseyenightofremovalfeb18.jpg

Within a week she was back to being a happy bully :giggle:

And Eli, the only one who had complications but with good reason. He arrived from the "breeder" with a dead eye in bad bad shape. Bacteria had been at the mess for a long time. There was also a delay on his eye removal as a URI flared up.
Eliseyejun8.jpg

Elinightofenucjun8.jpg

Both Tepeu and Eli are still with me :)

If the abs haven't worked in this time, you don't want to take a chance at it getting worse suddenly. I would have the eye removed.

Moon said:
That picture is so tiny for me. Any way to see it bigger?

Got around to reposting this morning, and didn't alter the size of the picture, so you can see much better now. Since I am home, I have access to more pictures, so found a better (and more recent) one:

Smilez - no, my vet doesn't know. Victoria's vet immediately said it was overgrowth, and I am sure my vet believes that to, but as I mentionned in my original post, we decided to try and rule out the abcess theory before deciding on inoculation.

Victoria - I trust her entirely. I know how careful she is with her little patients and I really hope they can make room on April 19 to take her along with Chester.

I believe that you guys are pushing my heart to go along - I feel more hurt now, so I believe a decision is on the works in that area too...

Oh MAN I was not prepared for that, when I clicked the pic to see it bigger, LOL... eye problems freak me out!

That eye HAS to come out and soon! IF it bursts she could bleed to death, get infected, cause infection to go through her entire body (systemic) and kill her, all sorts of nasty. Think of it like this...a gangrenous foot, its spreading and gettting worse. Leave it, its a death sentence...cut it off and the person will live. Several of us on this forum have rats with limbs removed that adapt wonderfully, an eye is nothing comparitively!

Moon said:
Oh MAN I was not prepared for that, when I clicked the pic to see it bigger, LOL... eye problems freak me out!

This coming from the person who begs to see pus pictures. :sick2:

Poor girl, it's a hard choice to make however rats are very adaptable and she will feel WORLDS better when it's over with. She will most likely adjust easily. :hugs:

LA said:
This coming from the person who begs to see pus pictures. :sick2:

LOL yeah, that's me! Love abscesses, hate eyes problems (and teeth problems, but I am getting better!)

Just picked up my new boy from the vet after his eye removal. He is doing fine (currently sleeping in the hoodie of my sweatshirt).
5562008470_f6fe18bdb2_z.jpg

Back