Eye - Injury, abscess etc? Eye pic warning- Home :)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

So I am allowed 2 good things then I must have 1 very bad thing happen. :shock:

Tepeu, my bully tilty girl. Always causing a fracas. Maybe someone fought back? Maybe this is glaucoma? Any ideas? It's not painful, she doesn't seem to really notice it even when I examined it.

Teppyseyefeb14.jpg

Teppyseye2feb14.jpg

Teppyseyeclosefeb14.jpg

I seem to recall my vet saying that, in dogs or cats, they try to save the sight in the eye by use of scopolamine. I don't know how it works, but the aim is to prevent scarring. I guess it is not so urgent with rats, since they do fine with just one good eye.

Looks like blood inside the eye. Poor sweetheart.

I don't know... usually cataracts is the typical middle of the eye cloud. But my Captain looked more like a fog came over his eye and it didn't start in the middle but my vet confirmed a cataracts. But that one looks a big angry, like something is behind, an abscess?

This is what I have seen in my past so you can see why I am flummoxed...

Just a small developing cataract
Luckyat27monthsoldchunkyhead.jpg

Extreme old age/cataracts
AshaandAuraaug13.jpg

And this is aa new injury that ended up being a burst eyeball (most likely a scratch)
BellaeyeOct24AM.jpg

bleeding into the ocular bulb
Mayasbloodyeye.jpg

Glaucoma in rats (big eye was removed)
Ladyseyejan16.jpg

Teppy's still totally herself today, gave me a few licks, a few struggles at restraint, the eye hasn't changed for the worse today either. And she loooves baytril AND metacam LOLOL

Teppyseyeday2feb15.jpg

Typical Tepeu :roll:

Tepeubeingtypicalfeb15.jpg

i have not dealt with cataracts before. but when flower was young her eye got scratched and i had to put drops in it. as well as oral baytril i think. i don't have pic when it was at it's worst but here it is healing. the vet thought she would lose her eye. it was red and cloudy when it started

Spirits are still great, but the eye... :sick2:

Tepeu will either have her eye removed or my girl will be pts. by Friday.

[spoiler:sw0c926o]
Teppyseyefeb172.jpg

Teppyseyefeb17.jpg
[/spoiler:sw0c926o]

I am praying I hear back from my vet soon, but this is his day off :sad3:

Cityratt said:
oh no! Tepeu

is that conjunctiva Shel or is it ulcerated that badly?

((hugs))

its all under the surface...the swelling is getting bad. Dr Munn is going away on Feb 22 to March 16th, so there's no waiting and seeing if it resolves with Teppy. :( She's only 15 months old. :sad3:

Looks to me like it is ulcerated.

Someone i know has a rat with a similar issue and he was put onto baytril and some antibiotic eye ointment for the eye and he seems to be improving greatly. They didn't want to put him through surgery as he has hind end degen and other issues so this was a lucky shot which seems to have worked.

Glad she is not seeming to be feeling pain with it.

Back