Evie update with video, is this girl ok???

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd continue doing what you are doing with the out time when she gets bossy. I really think the new boys has set her off and hopefully she will settle down once she realizes they are here to stay and that she can't boss them around.

jorats said:
I'd continue doing what you are doing with the out time when she gets bossy. I really think the new boys has set her off and hopefully she will settle down once she realizes they are here to stay and that she can't boss them around.

ok, I'm going to find something to put a cat carrier up on and use that for time out instead of the gpig cage, which is really in there for them to play in, and *hopefully* use as a giant litter box during out time

that's my next project, trying to get them to use the litter box a bit more often. Not expecting perfection, but any improvement in this direction would be greatly appreciated :lol:

I'm finding poop every where :laugh4:

thanks, wish me luck!

jorats said:
Oh, that cage is usually a play cage? That's why it's not working as a time out cage.

:emb:

yeh, its always in the play room, except its open so they can go in and poop or dig in the paper strips etc

she was pretty good last play time, she didn't bother anyone for at least a half an hour, then she got a bit wound up and started picking fights with Brenna, Smidgen and Owen. just like before, the girls stood up to her, but poor Owen ran- oh boy can he run! and her too, it's quite a sight seeing the two of them. There was no way I could catch her, but I managed to split her and Owen up, and she took a few minutes to catch her breath, and then she groomed herself, and that was the end of it.

I think she's getting over stimulated. I may remove some toys and do two half hour play sessions instead of the longer ones.

How is Owen after you split them up? Could they be playing?

(as for the play cage, that's why she's very busy and crazy trying to get out of it because normally, it's not closed so she thinks this is a game trying to get out. Most rats with a special punishment cage with nothing in it, not even bedding will just sit there and brood.)

jorats said:

(as for the play cage, that's why she's very busy and crazy trying to get out of it because normally, it's not closed so she thinks this is a game trying to get out. Most rats with a special punishment cage with nothing in it, not even bedding will just sit there and brood.)

um I have no idea! do rats chase each other for fun??

ETA: how is Owen? I dont' really know, I"ve been so focused on her :giggle:

Petunia said:
jorats said:

That's a good question. lol It would all depend on how Owen looked after the run. Did he go hide or freeze in place or did he act like nothing happened?

jorats said:
Petunia said:
jorats said:

That's a good question. lol It would all depend on how Owen looked after the run. Did he go hide or freeze in place or did he act like nothing happened?

He hides
Teddy will freeze in place til she's given him a good sniffing, but Owen runs and hides.

and when she gets like this, Brenna will actually shake from nervousness and Smidgen will too, or will come to me to be rescued

so I"m guessing it's only fun for Evie :lol:

Owen recovers pretty fast, he doesn't stay hidden.
Before he would run into the cage and stay there, and for some reason, when they are all in the cage and a spat develops,
they settle it quickly, but when they are outside of the cage
it gets kind of intense!

Back