Earliest sign of pregnancy...sniff.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are awesome boys! I had them out for some playtime and Staples (thick black stripe) went back in the main house, used the litter box, and came back out... *tear* They are so talented! I call them my "TAG" rats....after the program the put the ultra-nerds in Junior High...."Talented and Gifted". I'm really I glad I took Clive and Staples....the boys just LOVE each other...and are super sweet. Have I mentioned that they poo in the box?..one is doing it right now...I'm bursting with pride!

I am concerned that my vet is learning a lot on my ratties...one also never knows exactly how much a procedure is going to be since they charge for every little thing, and it usually turns out to be more than suggested. The minute by minute charge for sevoflurane is a killer. I don't have a choice...and if I took them somewhere else...he has already seen her before...how would I explain that when I have to bring them in for an emergency?

This *is* New York, but it is Buffalo, NY...and in some ways it is still 1956 around here. I learned that when I called around looking for a vet for the rats.

Some good news is...I don't have to move, I am buying the house I have been renting half of for 8 years! No moving! Now all it needs is a roof, windows, electrical, plumbing, and a lot of paint, floor refinishing, and landscaping....and we're all set! And a new kitchen. And 2 out of 2 bathrooms remodeled. That's it! Oddly enough, getting the rat room ready is #1 high priority. The rat room is going to be the former upstairs kitchen, which already has all the cabinets, a sink and tiled floors....eeeee! Can't wait!

How excellent!! Already litter trained... by themselves no less. I've noticed it with my 4 NB rats too. They only go in the litter box. Must be the water over there. :giggle:
Congrats on the new house!! No move is a HUGE bonus!!

Aww those boys sound delightful :)

Have you posted on Goose that you are looking for a vet in/near you? Have you spoken to Amanda? She might know of someone. I could do this for you if you would like?

I think with that pricetag your vet should expect that you *might* go elsewhere. LOL

No wonder the Liverpool boys are so sociable and so good with their litterbox. Their foster mamas were Dahlas and SQ, both experienced at taking in terrified babies and teaching them that people are OK.

I'm so glad that they are together as a group in a loving home! :heart:

Rodentist said:
Oddly enough, I suspect that she isn't pregnant, since she was in there under a minute and the boys seemed more excited that another rat was in there and curious than horny. Regardless, an appointment is being made on Monday.

My vet also doesn't recommend spaying, he says it is too risky a surgery and prefers I neuter my boys. He told me a rat spay would be about $600, which I figure was a price set to discourage me. He also doesn't like doing neuters until 5 months, which I think is a little late. So I fudge the ages of them a tad. The Liverpool boys still look too much like little kids for me to do that, yet, though.

If you are thinking, "someone needs a new vet". This guy is great with rats....he has had pet rats, and takes great care of them. I can't even see someone else in practice. When I first called around looking for a vet....no place would even see them. I got one horrified, "RATS?! We don't see RATS!!" from a place that advertised as specializing in the care of "small animals." This was about three years ago, perhaps attitudes have changed, but I bet they haven't.

Sorry I wasn't wordier.

$600?????? Was that for all the girls or just one???

I can understand your upset about this but if you think about it.... keeping the race alive is instinctual for any living thing. On another note.... imagine a life without sex when your biological clock is driving you nuts! It's in the genes! :wink:

I am assuming that an immediate spay would end a possible pregnancy? I haven't had pregnant girls in my life so I don't have a clue! :)

jennifervb said:
I am assuming that an immediate spay would end a possible pregnancy? I haven't had pregnant girls in my life so I don't have a clue! :)

When an animal is spayed they remove all of the reproductive organs, so yes it would end any pregnancy.

Dahlas said:
Don't just weigh her call your vet and get her spayed ASAP!!!!!

Your petite female should not have been in a Ferret Nation unless it was covered in mesh with intact males in the house...IF people have females in the same house they should be in secure cages, in different rooms with DOORS.....There have been so many post of these "accidents" happen you would think people could learn from them..This is very upsetting especially since you were entrusted with rescue rats.......they are not meant to be used to make more rats. I am sorry if people think this post is harsh but I am severely pissed.....
We are working our guts out doing rescue so stupid mistakes can happen and people can "accidently" let their rats get pregnant....... :gaah:

Are you ok Dahlas? :(

I would better understand your anger if the incident had been intentional. Things happen for a reason Dahlas, and we are rarely in a position to predict the future. I hope nothing like this ever happens to you. I can't begin to imagine how much you could suffer from it if it did.

You have to make allowances for "accidents". They are a part of life and, as often is the case, they are more sly than we are perfect. :hugs:

:oops: I apologized to Rodentist....I was having a bad day and I was quick to judge. I am still working on that part of my personality. Some days are hard when you work at a shelter....
Rodentist accepted my apology.....:hugs:

Vanessa said:
jennifervb said:

When an animal is spayed they remove all of the reproductive organs, so yes it would end any pregnancy.

Do you have a vet somewhere who would do the spay at a reasonable price?

If not, try talking with your vet again. As a rat lover, I can't imagine that he would fail to understand the possible repercussions of an unwanted pregnancy. :rose:

Dahlas said:
:oops: I apologized to Rodentist....I was having a bad day and I was quick to judge. I am still working on that part of my personality. Some days are hard when you work at a shelter....
Rodentist accepted my apology.....:hugs:

Of course Rodentist accepted your apology. I understand the pressure when you work in a shelter and are forced to see al the little faces who need homes. I can fully relate, and I don't even work at a shelter!

Just in case, I wasn't angry with you. I was concerned. Outbursts from you are rare so they really stand out when they do come. :wink:

Hey, at least the little ratlady is healthy and active! It takes some serious cunning and energy to get, not only, out of the FN but to make it to another room and into another cage!!!! If Rodentist's boys are all neutered, but one, then the chances that she is pregnant are slim. :heart:

You're going to be alright Dahlas. Working on one's character takes time and patience (I speak from experience!!!). I have rarely seen you upset like that so you are obviously making really good progress and don't have far to go to reach your goal. :rose:

I'm strongly suspecting she isn't pregnant!!!! Phew! She was wildly in heat last night and all the NEUTERED boys were chasing after her....when this happens I close off a section of the FN, and put her in with a lady friend and the old guys. Last night *Milton* humped her...I have never seen him do that to anyone, *ever*. Nero still didn't care though...Mama loves the hell out of him, and I swear he hasn't noticed she is female. She is always curled up with him. He tolerates it.

[center:tsme777h]
m_d6eb39dfb00737b339a1f1fcb2343684.jpg
[/center:tsme777h]
[center:tsme777h]Nero[/center:tsme777h]

A spay does indeed end the pregnancy.....

Mama is the only one of my ladies who has had a litter and been around non-neutered males. The other girls only know the eunuchs. Which might explain her determination and flamboyant heat cycles!

When I heard the collective sigh all over Southern Ontario I thought I would check on this thread.

:wink2:

Rodentist said:
I'm strongly suspecting she isn't pregnant!!!! Phew! She was wildly in heat last night and all the NEUTERED boys were chasing after her....when this happens I close off a section of the FN, and put her in with a lady friend and the old guys. Last night *Milton* humped her...I have never seen him do that to anyone, *ever*. Nero still didn't care though...Mama loves the hell out of him, and I swear he hasn't noticed she is female. She is always curled up with him. He tolerates it.

A spay does indeed end the pregnancy.....

Mama is the only one of my ladies who has had a litter and been around non-neutered males. The other girls only know the eunuchs. Which might explain her determination and flamboyant heat cycles!

Couldn't you drive them across the border and have them done around here somewhere? I mean, much, much cheaper.

:joy: She's not pregnant!! (even though she is sure trying to be...)

Those sighs of relief that Vanessa heard were coming from all over Canada. The Liverpool boys' family hated to think of them being slapped with a paternity suit. :giggle:

Back