Earliest sign of pregnancy...sniff.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like he is not confident to spay so maybe he just told you that it's $600 (which is ridiculous) because he doesn't want to do it. So many people here had great success with spays including me. A spay at my vet is US$130 which I believe is pretty average.

Smaller cities are often more affordable, but Dahlas has an exceptionally good price. I think that spays are usually around $150-$250, with neuters about half the price.

I think/hope that $600 is just to scare you off. Maybe your vet will reconsider when he hears about your situation. I sure hope so. Your ratty is probably not pregnant, but you'll be chewing your nails for the next few weeks. What a stressful situation it is to have intact rats of opposite sexes in the house when you are waiting to have the surgery done! I was lucky enough only to have to wait four days, and it was a relief when the time was up. It sounds like a rat in heat will do anything to get out and find "Mr Right".

Let us know how it turns out!

I totally agree with Godmother and Wonderrodent...i think he set the price high to discourage me because he doesn't feel particularly confident with them...also his stressing how dangerous a surgery is for them and all. Unfortunately, he is the only choice in rattie medicine.

Also helpful is the fact that when Mama goes into heat, she is really obvious about it. My other three females, not so much. Even the neutered boys chase her around! Yeesh!

Good news is, it looks like I am buying a house, and I'll have a rattie room...and they can be on separate floors if I have to!!! Eeee!!! I am looking for Ratatouille wallpaper for their room...

That's my dream a real rat room. I'd have a sand box, a wading pool, a safe plant/tree to climb and chill on... oh the things I would do!

jorats said:
That's my dream a real rat room. I'd have a sand box, a wading pool, a safe plant/tree to climb and chill on...

Do you know what kind of tree that would be? A rubber tree maybe? That's a really good idea! A small fruit tree?

Rodentist said:
jorats said:
That's my dream a real rat room. I'd have a sand box, a wading pool, a safe plant/tree to climb and chill on...

Do you know what kind of tree that would be? A rubber tree maybe? That's a really good idea! A small fruit tree?

I think rubber trees are toxic...or something like that.

An apple tree, or something in that family? At least we know that the bark of the apple tree is OK. I don't know how you'd get one to grow to any size indoors unless you had a grow light on it.

I have my fingers crossed that the little lady is not prego. How frustrating to have to wait and see.

I too have a vet who does not feel comfortable doing spays. But he is super cheap on tumor removals $50.00 and the same for a neuter. The so called exotics around here want $350(I have 9 girls so this is not feasible) and up for a spay and $200.00 for a neuter which I think is just INSANE it barely costs $100 to get a 60 lb. dog spayed, but a rat it is highway robbery.

lilspaz68 said:
Rodentist said:
jorats said:

I think rubber trees are toxic...or something like that.

Yes they are toxic, we have a varigated rubber plant and when we trim it, it is recommened to wear gloves or wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.

I just saw this thread.
To say that I am very unhappy would be an understatement.
Also, I have not yet recieved your signed contract.
Please get your girl spayed asap .... much better for her health and being in NY, I'm sure there must be good rat vets around tho it may be a bit of a drive.
I also hope the boys are soon neutered.

The crappy vet in Nova Scotia that knows nothing about rats does charge the prices that Dahlas quoted. Plus it was mentioned a few months ago when we were looking at the option of getting some of Clark's rats neutered, that Dahlas' vet gave her a discount because of Dahla's work.

In NB, a spay costs $150 plus antibiotics.
We have no exotics vets and our nonexotic vets will neuter rats at 3 months of age for about $100 ... tho the last one godmother had neutered was done for $75.
The good rat exotic vet in NS charges around $200 or $300 for a neuter and a spay. But all of his fees are way too high.

I know that SQ doesn't like the "crappy vet" but I do feel I owe it to him to say he has spayed all my girls.....and did a great job....and he did the two foster boys I had here and adopted out without any problems.......He will be doing my friends new boys.....
The vet whole I got the great deal from for doing extra shelter work highly recommended him and asked why I didn't use him since he was much closer......
I will be using him from now on and hopefully things continue to go good.

He does seem to be trying to learn...and he knows way more then my local vet.. I know SQ has valid reasons for not being impressed but I didn't think it would be fair to not say that I have had good experiences with him.....

She has her appointment....Thursday morning....the boys soon after...the have been budgeted for August....

SQ: I gave Amanda the signed contract.

Rodentist, my heart goes out to you. Sounds like you've got a lot going on at the same time (extra rats, preparing to move, for starters) and then you got an unexpected BAD scare. And your vet, who is otherwise very helpful, sets a crazy price on your quickest solution. Wow!

So I hope that you are not being too hard on yourself. You did a wonderful thing by giving all five of the Liverpool boys a good home, adding stress and expense to your life for their sakes. It doesn't sound like you are careless.

Good luck with your surgery plans. Let's hope your vet rethinks the spay price!

Back