Drippage is an issue.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CardboardCastles

Leaky water bottles.

I HATE them.

Seriously, I've bought like 6 water bottles now and EVERY SINGLE ONE drips enough to flood the corner of the cage its on. They're not all the same brand shape or size either....what do you guys use that DOESN'T leave your babies searching for higher drier ground?

mine drip to :rant: But I some what battle it buy placing a pourious stone in that corner of the cage. it kinda hleps to soakup the water and a great tool for wearing down toe nails. So instead of a lake in that corner I have a puddle :giggle:

right now I have dishes in UNDER the waterbottles to catch the leakage...it seems, though, that the only thing my girls like these bowls for is pooping in or relocating the litter from the bottom of the cage to them.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2752723

these are the only kind i use. they dont have the ball, they have a little pin. my ratties all adjusted to them fast, and i've never had a problem with them. only thing that takes getting used to, when you take them off the cage to clean them, don't turn them upside down!! :wallbang: i've done this soo many times on accident. they are flip tops, so you fill them from the top, hence, they spill water if you turn them upside down. buutt, i swear by these bottles, love them! only animals i don't use them for are my guinea pigs, they are the only guys who ever made them leak, because they lean on the little plunger because they are lazy, lol.

ohrats27 said:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752723

these are the only kind i use. they dont have the ball, they have a little pin. my ratties all adjusted to them fast, and i've never had a problem with them. only thing that takes getting used to, when you take them off the cage to clean them, don't turn them upside down!! :wallbang: i've done this soo many times on accident. they are flip tops, so you fill them from the top, hence, they spill water if you turn them upside down. buutt, i swear by these bottles, love them! only animals i don't use them for are my guinea pigs, they are the only guys who ever made them leak, because they lean on the little plunger because they are lazy, lol.

oh i got to try those sometime too :D im always open to water bottles hehe you never know with them, they make you :wallbang: sometimes :wink:

I've never had a really leaky bottle that wasn't my own fault. It usually because I didn't fill the bottle all the way to the top. Even overfilling it some, so that there's a "bubble" of water, then putting the top on, is a good plan. Always check the rubber seal, make sure it's fully seated and not flipped up or anything. The angle of the bottle seems to make a difference, too. I keep mine mostly upright, with only a little bit of an angle from the spout.

we use those little bird food cups, they hang on the cage. We hang one right under each water bottles. Also, we cut up an old blanket to fit each level. No more water puddles or pee puddles. Toss them in the wash and ready to use over and over. Our girls love the wall to wall carpet.

Thats what I did with the travel cage, I drilled two little holes and attached a cup, but I dunno how I'd do it with the SP unless I bent the wires from the cup around the cage wires...I dunno

I was going to suggest those Walmart bottles, I have only had a problem with 1 out of say 24? The 8 and 16 oz'ers from Walmart worked well too :) Cheaper than petstore...hated Hagen bottles, only got 2 to work properly.

I use bowls for some and Walmart bottles for others.

I have been reading great things about the water buddy, don't own one currently but it is on my to buy list.

414yH5imwVL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Prime654. You're new around here, hunh? I've never seen any of those around. Are they only available on-line? Let us know what you think if you ever get around to buying one.

And :welcome4: to the Shack!

Back