does she appear pregnant?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:panic: :panic: :panic: I don't know I don't know what it means, someone help her out please, what does it mean what does it mean? Are the babies coming? Are they on the way? :gaah:

I couldn't really see anything clearly in that picture. But I wouldn't use that as an indicator unless you are seeing really emphasized physical change in her vagina.

Well, yesterday i noticed it appeared a bit more swollen than it has been when i originally got her. Im not sure if its indicative of anything (like her giving birth soon) but i thought I'd ask and see if anyone had any idea. I googled it first and saw pictures of a female rat in heat but the swelling looks nothing similar to that. All i know is that my service provider is going to think im nuts for googling 'rat vagina' hahaha. Anyway, i'll be home shortly and amazon says the scale has arrived! Yay! I'll weigh her and post as soon as i get home. You guys are great, thanks for all the help!

Thank you :) I just fell in love with her. I only intended on getting adopting the blue female, but I saw her and couldn't stop looking at her. I'm so glad I made the decision to give her a home - I can't imagine if she would have become snake food or something :(

She doesn't look like she swallowed a softball yet...but in that video you posted on March 2nd, I do see the "spare tire" low on her waist that makes me suspect pregnancy, her behaviours are right on par as well. Is she sleeping on her back yet like a beached whale, does she try to head sleep or curled up, or is she always stretched or sprawled out?

The grooming of the nipples is another big sign as she's making them more accessible for her new babies when they arrive.

Now that we have a starting weight of 343 grams, I am VERY curious as to what her weight will be this afternoon when you weigh her around the same time as yesterday. That and the next days will be key in determining how close she is to give birth.

As for moving babies,, you usually only feel them moving arund in the last few days. They get really really active about 12-24 hours before birth.

Lilith was a baby girl who got pregnant by being forced to live with an adult male. She ended up having 8 baby boys about 5-6 hours later. I had taken a video that morning where they were moving but it was rather dark.

http://s61.beta.photobucket.com/user/ra ... 0.mp4.html

Protein sources like egg, fish, lean chicken are good, lots of healthy veggies, I would avoid acidic fruit as it can cause tummy issues and plenty of a healthy staple diet. Make sure to remove any toilet paper or kleenex from the cage and switch it to paper towel. The former can stick to wet, just-born babies and once it has dried it can peel off theeepers skin if you try to remove it later on.

Oh wow you can tell in that vid babies are moving, but she's heavily pregnant, i think bigcity's girl looks like she might have a small litter, but can't tell, would be good though for her lol

EDK said:
Oh wow you can tell in that vid babies are moving, but she's heavily pregnant, i think bigcity's girl looks like she might have a small litter, but can't tell, would be good though for her lol

or she's early in her pregnancy...weight tells the tale.

Great video! Gosh that must have felt funny for her.

She does seem small still. I guess I assumed she would be going soon because of the nipple prominence. Maybe she does have a way to go...

What I'm worried about is what you guys suspected earlier - what if she had been previously pregnant, had her litter, and then was plopped back into the 'large rat' bin that had both boys and girls once they were weaned, and got pregnant immediately after weaning her pups? I'm going to continue weighing her every day. I feel bad because she is housed alone (to be safe since I have no idea of a due date and I'd rather be safe than sorry), but she gets free time outside for at least 2 hours each day. Sometimes its on the couch with me, other times she gets to have free roam of the 'rat room'. Usually she gets a little bit of both. I'm just in love with this girl, shes so sweet :) I'll post her weight tonight - yesterday I took hers around 4pm, so I should be home around then to do it at the same time. I've also been weighing the little blue girl, since shes very round (but showing no signs of pregnancy) and I think it'll be good to track her weight as well.

Tomorrow night I have to head out on a trip into the field with my research lab to collect data for three days (should be back on Friday), so my boyfriend will be in charge of the rats. Hopefully he'll be able to continue to get her weight, but I feel so bad since the ratties wont have much free time to play for a coupe days ):

Well, I weighed her and she gained a few grams, but nothing significant. ~347 grams (she was 343 yesterday)

The blue rat, on the other hand (the small one who also has the chance of being pregnant, since i got them from the same place...) has jumped from 121 grams to 201! Is this normal for growth of younger rats? It seems a little extreme...my siamese who is about the same age as the blue and a little tinier went from 121 grams to 128. They live together and are getting the same food and amount of playtime. Is this normal??

she dont look very round in those pictures. I seen those this weekend. Does her nipples show clearly?

Back