Do you speak French?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm Acadian so I'm suppose to know how to speak French but I've lost a lot of the ability to speak it; although I can still understand it well.

And Quebec ... and (many?) Quebecois who come to New Brunswick look down upon Acadians because they don't speak "real French" either.

French has many different dialects ...

Just as Canadian English is different from American English, British English, etc. And different regions of Canada speak slightly different English than other parts of Canada.

Bati said:
Oh please please don't start speaking French, it's a horrible language, and trust me, non of you are French, been to France, stayed there for too long, and French means being not nice and stuck up, so I like Canadian-french, not European-french :lol:
Are you serious?

I am Franco-Australienne and I grew up in France. You have no idea how much I'd like to hit you right now. :D

I won't say anything else. I'm sure you're a nice person, but I must remark frankly that your stupid comment doesn't deserve my response, especially one that involves me getting worked up.

Lol. Seriously dude. :roll:

*Edit* But anyway, I didn't come to this thread for that. I came to say that yes, I do indeed speak French. It's essencially my first language. I knew a few English words/phrases etc (because of my mum and because wherever you are in western society you're practically emersed in English... on the tv, on the radio, in movies etc) growing up, but I was never fluent until I had moved to Australia with my mum and was here a while.

If anyone would like help I'm here. ;)

La Maree Haute, please keep in mind that English is not Bati's first language so her choice of words are not perfect and probably not exactly meant to hit the way it did.
I too was taken aback at first but Bati is going by her experience with her time in France. It's not nice to generalize but most people do it.

Are there a lot of people speaking french in Australia?

jorats said:
La Maree Haute, please keep in mind that English is not Bati's first language so her choice of words are not perfect and probably not exactly meant to hit the way it did.
I too was taken aback at first but Bati is going by her experience with her time in France. It's not nice to generalize but most people do it.

Are there a lot of people speaking french in Australia?
Oh, okay. Lol. I'll keep that in mind then... I was quite snappy, but I'm sure any Americans here would be too if someone said something like "All Yanks are obese and stupid and want to rule the whole world, thus I hate them!" - Which is obviously a complete and utter generalisation, and an opinion.

And nooo, there's like... no one speaking French in Australia. Haha. Oooh look, I'm generalising now! It's a virus. :lol:

But I'm half French, and was raised in France, as I said. :)

I remember the first time I went to meet hubby's family in Quebec and they asked if I wanted a guedille for lunch. I was totally speechless, in Ontario guedille is slang for snot. lol
In Quebec it's a delicious type of hotdog with French fries in it.

mamarat said:
I remember the first time I went to meet hubby's family in Quebec and they asked if I wanted a guedille for lunch. I was totally speechless, in Ontario guedille is slang for snot. lol

Hahaha...isn't there something about the translation of poutine that raises eyebrows? LOL I will never order that one in Quebec! :oops:

No french here sadly. I transferred schools when they were teaching the building blocks of french (tenses, etc) and the new school was way ahead of my old school. :(

Oh - sorry. But my experience was that all 'real' French were very unwilling to try to understand, but anyone like Australian-french or anything-french was too nice and helpfull, some told me it's because I stayed in Paris that I kept bumping into very fine rich people with no patience for my hopeless language-skills (but thankyou to you for being patient with me)

and danish people are famous for being rude, the frase 'please' doesn't exist in Danish, and when Annbritt came to visit last weekend, one of her first comment was 'you are too rude', so it's just a part of my charming personality (wauv, now I sure sounds like an idiot, but trust me, I'm not :oops: )

I'm bilingual in English and German and took Spanish in college but I've forgotten most of it. I think languages are fascinating but I always resisted learning French because where & when I grew up you didn't get to choose to learn it, they rammed it down your throat. Since I hate bullies and resent anything that is forced on me I failed my classes quite miserably.

Bati said:
Oh - sorry. But my experience was that all 'real' French were very unwilling to try to understand, but anyone like Australian-french or anything-french was too nice and helpfull, some told me it's because I stayed in Paris that I kept bumping into very fine rich people with no patience for my hopeless language-skills (but thankyou to you for being patient with me)
:shock:

Because one of my parents is of another nationality doesn't really change anything. I grew up in France. With French people. With French family. I may as well be one of these few rude people that you happened to bump into in Paris.

Anyway, I am still keeping in mind that English isn't your first language (which is ironic because... it's not mine either, LOL), but this comment...
But my experience was that all 'real' French were very unwilling to try to understand, but anyone like Australian-french or anything-french
...really threw me off and offended me, regardless of what you were trying to say.

But alright, you're welcome. I am being as patient as I can with you. I do know what it's like to not be able to express yourself as much as you'd like because you're struggling with, or are even just still learning, a language.

remember the first time I went to meet hubby's family in Quebec and they asked if I wanted a guedille for lunch. I was totally speechless, in Ontario guedille is slang for snot. lol
LMAO! That's hilarious.

The French from France is like poetry to me - it sounds beautiful! I had a professor once, from France and he was VERY charming. With his beautiful French, he could have probably sold me polluted swamp land without me realizing it! :lol8:

Linda said:
The French from France is like poetry to me - it sounds beautiful! I had a professor once, from France and he was VERY charming. With his beautiful French, he could have probably sold me polluted swamp land without me realizing it! :lol8:
Hahaha.

I agree, though. Even though it's my own language, I think it's more beautiful than any other. It excentuates (euh... sp?) anybody's voice beautifully. Well, maybe not mine (everyone hates their voice, right? lol), but almost anybody's.

The current Ontario curriculum has students learn French starting in grade 4, officially, though it was offered in my school as a lunchtime class too starting in the first grade which my mother forced me to attend. I kept with it until the end of grade 10 so I'd say roughly ten years of schooling in the language.

I sure don't remember much though. :lol:

My husband took core French which is a waste of time if you ask me. Today, he doesn't know much French. Once I was at my kids' school talking to the teacher that taught core French to my husband. I was speaking in French and she tells me that she doesn't speak French. :shock:

jorats said:
My husband took core French which is a waste of time if you ask me. Today, he doesn't know much French. Once I was at my kids' school talking to the teacher that taught core French to my husband. I was speaking in French and she tells me that she doesn't speak French. :shock:

Ok thats bad! If you are teaching it you shouldbe able to speak it!

Yikes! All my French teachers had a French accent and it was their first language. Some were a little rocky with the English language.

But I think you need to want to learn it. Like most subjects they seem to only stick if you want the knowledge.

lilspaz68 said:
mamarat said:

Hahaha...isn't there something about the translation of poutine that raises eyebrows? LOL I will never order that one in Quebec! :oops:
LOL, yes... I think it is pronounced poo-tehn and it makes whore or something, lol. So, make sure you pronounce it poo-teen.

Je ne parle pas francais.
Umm... bleu, verte, chateau, chat, libre, chien, un, duo, trios...

I took it in school but never really spoke it in class, though I can struggle through easy text still. Basically helps that I took latin in high school and you really get to see the similarities in some european languages. But spoken french? I get completely lost, it flows together and goes too fast for me to figure out words!

Back