Do you speak French?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm an Anglophone :D I only speak English but I took French in school and my bf's family is French so I can pick up some of what is said but other times they speak too quick and I get lost :shock:

Mamarat2, there are people like me who are not french, learned french in school as for me I don't speak any french.

There are different places in canada that are known as french speaking towns. Where people from france moved to. Penetanguishene Ontario is well known as well as Lafontaine. The farther up north you go the more common french speaking familes are.
Waynes Great Great Great (he thinks) grandfather came from Normandy with his two brothers and their wives to start a new life here. Midland is well known for the Jesuits coming here. If you look up Sainte Marie Among the Hurons it has all the info on that.
Wayne's mom can speak french but he doesn't at all.

There are people like Morats that are from Quebec and titled Quebecois. Quebec is of course known as french speaking province. I am not sure about other provinces though.

So I don't speak any french. I wish I did but i am not good with new languages.

Oui, je parle francais!

I grew up in western Canada, wanting to speak French but not having anyone to practice with. Learning it in school doesn't get you very far in the real world. Then, as an adult, I ended up in beautiful Montreal where I finally got to learn to speak French.

LA said:
Mamarat2, there are people like me who are not french, learned french in school as for me I don't speak any french.

There are different places in canada that are known as french speaking towns. Where people from france moved to. Penetanguishene Ontario is well known as well as Lafontaine. The farther up north you go the more common french speaking familes are.
Waynes Great Great Great (he thinks) grandfather came from Normandy with his two brothers and their wives to start a new life here. Midland is well known for the Jesuits coming here. If you look up Sainte Marie Among the Hurons it has all the info on that.
Wayne's mom can speak french but he doesn't at all.

There are people like Morats that are from Quebec and titled Quebecois. Quebec is of course known as french speaking province. I am not sure about other provinces though.

So I don't speak any french. I wish I did but i am not good with new languages.

I find it interesting how French varies among the areas because I've been told that Quebec French is different from Ontario French, both are different than East Coast (Acadian) French, they are different than Deep South American French and all of them are completely different than France French :D

Tres petite.. I could get salt or pepper or ask someone to open a window or door (like I couldn't just do it myself) but I'd pee my pants before I found a bathroom.

Oh please please don't start speaking French, it's a horrible language, and trust me, non of you are French, been to France, stayed there for too long, and French means being not nice and stuck up, so I like Canadian-french, not European-french :lol:

That so confuses me - how could the Language of Love sets up hackles on people's backs like it does? but it's true, I've heard that from many about the french in France.

I always considered the French in Canada to be family except for their desire to secede. Why would you want to throw your family away? let alone safety in numbers.. sharing & sensible distribution of resources..
Why would they want to be freebirds against vultures like the U.S. and the countries that the U.S. stirs to defend their nests?
But I also don't hold individuals responsible for the decisions of their geography....

Messed-up world. Thank god for individuals.

TEEHEE my friend was an exchange student in France one year. She said something to the family one day and they looked totally shocked and insulted. She asked what she said and they told her. I can't remember what it was. But there is a difference between Quebec french and France french. She actually said something quite rude in France French.

Apparently, France has always looked down upon the French from Quebec, telling them that it's not really French. Which is ironic because Quebec is constantly telling the francophone in Ontario that we don't speak real french. :roll:

Back