Dixie's battle with PT is finally over.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dspch. I lost both my old ladies. I don't know how old Dixie is, but she is still hanging in there although she has lost a lot of weight, very visible on a nakie.

:bananas: What a gorgeous nakie and she looks to be doing great!!! I must be the only one with bad luck in treating PT!

She is back to a very high level of function, but I am still soaking lab blocks just in case, and because they still are getting eaten. ;)
My only concern is that I am going away in July, so two doses will have to be given by someone who is not used to medicating rats. Ug!

pity you're not in ontario, or vice versa, I do petsitting :( maybe get that person lots of practice while ur still here? And set alarms for them, call to check, maybe you could even premix her meds into some sort of sweetened oatmeal (ive had success with some bitter stuff getting eaten that way) and leave those for her to be served twice daily? glad to see she is better. all this pt talk sure scares me, dunno how much success I would have in treating it being my vet is sometimes hard to get to. gonna talk to them about it later...just in case, as mine are getting to be 2yrs +

Last edited:
Time for another update:
Dixie is still responding very well to the Cabergoline, although she hates it so much it is difficult to medicate her.
She has gained back all the weight she lost, and then some. She is able to eat hard foods like Oxbow although I still soak the Harlan blocks just in case.
And she is definitely passing the Cheerio test right now! :)

pyja7aza.jpg

This PT has responded the best of any I have dealt with. Dixie is also my first rat with a PT that is an intact female, so I wonder if there is a connection. Perhaps if she had been spayed, she might not have developed this tumour at all.

I got the ratties up tonight and after a bit went to get Dixie as I hadn't seen her yet tonight, and found her like this:

433a0fc43d18d7b71d17da1797465269.jpg

Right now she is tucked in my fleece, with all four limbs stuck straight out, which is funny and sad at the same time. I have a feeling she will be leaving tonight... :(

It looks like when PT goes bad. I have not had a spayed girl get a PT tumor. All the pt tumors we have seen have been on intact girls. I do believe spaying reduces those risks. When gloria went she held on for a while that night. Peaceful but just lingered. She kinda just stopped breathing no fuse or anything. She was fine for so long and then bam it just went out of control and I couldnt do anything to bring her back :( Give dixie kisses for me.

I didnt change the title It was change but I couldnt remember what the orginal one was so I could go back and add on the not so good update.

Well, I snuggled with her for a while last night, and checked on her this morning and she is still with us so we snuggled some more. Not able to do much of anything, but still hanging on...

I am so sorry Joanne.
All you can do is be there for her.
I do not know if spaying her would have made a difference but I spay and neuter all my rats and several of my boys and girls have had pt :(
My thoughts are with both of you

{{{HUGS}}}

Well, Dixie's time here has just ended and her journey to the Bridge begins.
She came to my house after I answered an ad on Kijiji for Nine Hairless Rats, for free, first come, first serve. I was worried they would go for snake food, and went to scoop them up. Several of them had (have) eye issues. Dixie's eyes were fine, but she had a wild head swing. I didn't know how long she had had it, so treated for an inner ear infection - there was no change. So that's how she got her name - a swinging Dixie band. LOL
Anyway, Dixie Doodle was a funny girl, and came to let me kiss her and snuggle her in a moment or two of stillness. I shall miss her wiggling, swinging butt, but at least I won't have to worry about her falling out of the cage ass-over-teakettle like she had a few times before.
Goodnight sweet girl. Time to go pick out a bead for you to take with you to the Bridge... :heart:

Back