Dixie's battle with PT is finally over.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

I noticed the other day that one of my nakies, Dixie, seemed 'off'. Her eyes are squinty and she looks skinny compared to the other nakies, with her sides sunken in a bit. I gave her a piece of cheese and my heart sunk as I watched her eat it - it looks like PT to me. Note that she does have the frantic head swinging - that's normal for her. I was looking at the difficulty eating/focussing and the rigid, straight front legs.
What do you think?
(Gonna try inserting video...)

http://youtu.be/PQzU-eyu9pU

Last edited by a moderator:
So very sorry, those look like such classic symptoms just in high speed.

Note the funny little headlift over and over, "losing" the cheese, and even though its right there not being able to find it, the inability to grasp properly...everything else you are describing.

Poor little naked bean, you'd think she would have had enough to deal with all her life without PT on top of it ((hugs))

My scale tanked on me a couple of days ago. I just got a new one today and weighed her - she lost 70 grams!
I thought she looked skinny so I have been soaking the Harlan. Now everyone is eating it. I am up to 12 blocks at a time to try and keep some food in there for her to eat. Everyone's drinking less water as a result though.
Poor Dixie. I don't know how old she is, but I thought that the oldest of the bunch would be 1.5 years.

I'm so sorry. :(

Stay hopeful, she could still have a long life of happiness if you treat ASAP!

I am still considering if I will treat her or not, for a few reasons. One is that I have had poor results so far, with the rat's life being extended but quality of life not really significantly better. The other is that it's difficult to medicate Dixie because of her neurologic problems.
I might call the vet tomorrow and see about a shot of Dex if they have any, and see if that changes anything. I still have some Cabergoline from the last PT I treated.
Also, my really old girl has a PT and if she doesn't pass tonight I will euthanize her tomorrow. I guess I have been more focused on her the last couple of weeks. I find it hard to deal with more than one dying rat at a time. :(

I am still considering if I will treat her or not, for a few reasons. One is that I have had poor results so far, with the rat's life being extended but quality of life not really significantly better. The other is that it's difficult to medicate Dixie because of her neurologic problems.
I might call the vet tomorrow and see about a shot of Dex if they have any, and see if that changes anything. I still have some Cabergoline from the last PT I treated.
Also, my really old girl has a PT and if she doesn't pass tonight I will euthanize her tomorrow. I guess I have been more focused on her the last couple of weeks. I find it hard to deal with more than one dying rat at a time. :(

Awww I am sorry!!

I think at this point you could start her on the caber, since she's very very early in the PT right now (good catch!) she probably doesn't need the dex injection to keep her stable until the caber kicks in.

As for results I have had varying with the PT treatments. Right now I have Triesse who is doing REALLY good but still has to have soft food and older Buddy who is umm...back to normal after a week. :D I would've guessed the results would have been the opposite for each rat so you just never know. I do find with Triesse she's just responding much more slowly but each day on the bromo she seems to be more improved except for her hard-food eating abilities.

As for you its okay to wait a few days until you decide if you can treat or not, as long as you are feeding her the soft food its probably all she needs right now.

Condolences on your old baby :(

Thanks, I decided to let Sabrina pass at home as she doesn't appear to be in any distress, and she's still hanging on.
I gave Dixie a dose of Cabergoline and booked her at the vet's for tomorrow. Is it better to do one shot of Dex or start her on Pred or do nothing except the Cabergoline?

Thanks, I decided to let Sabrina pass at home as she doesn't appear to be in any distress, and she's still hanging on.
I gave Dixie a dose of Cabergoline and booked her at the vet's for tomorrow. Is it better to do one shot of Dex or start her on Pred or do nothing except the Cabergoline?

If you are going to the vets anyways, get the injection.

I hope Sabrina quietly slips away for you.

We're giving Kona the bromo, although I understand the cabergoline is better, when we were giving the pred didn't see any improvements, but with the dex there were improvements that same day. Within 3-4 days he was eating by himself. Don't know if that helps

I wish you the best, but after losing Kona last night in such a horrible way I have to almost say treating PT isn't worth it... Just love and cuddle them ♥

Dixie got an injection of Dex today. We'll see how she responds over the next few days. The vet is going to try and compound some Dex for me as they don't have the liquid on hand.
Sabrina was still with us today, so she was helped across the Bridge. RIP my love...

I agree too that it looks like a very early symptom of a :cuss:pT. I just hate them !

Wishing you the very best. Yes it is even harder when you have more than one baby with this terrible thing. My heart goes out to you & your rattie.
Sorry about your Sabrina......RIP little one

Last edited:
So just an update:
Dixie was on a course of Dex but she's finished now. She has been on the Cabergoline since the beginning. We finally used up the Cab I had from the fall so I had to buy more. 8 tabs cost $105!!! Ouch! 16 doses...
Anyway, last night I gave the ratties a bowl of water with some peas and corn and Dixie could still pea fish! She wiggles all over and circles over and over on the floor but she can still eat a pea. :D

Back