Disaster

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phyllis said:
:( :( OH i am sad to hear this, but please don;t harm the babies, they are innocent, I AM JUST NOW LOSING MY OLDIES SAVED FROM A DUMPSTER OVER 2 YEARS AGO!

It's ok Phyllis, this is a rat lovers website. No one here would ever dream of hurting or killing a little fur form. :love6: :heart: :rose: :love6:

jennifervb said:
lilspaz68 said:
13 viable girls, all night to mess with the boys, probably 4-5 litters of 10 each...ouch! There's no faith involved, its called the drive to procreate and our rats have it in spades.

What did the owner say?

Great lilspaz! Tell someone who is faced with unplanned pregnancies that there is no faith involved. You're gonna have to give Bati a really good chocolate chip cookie for that one. 8)

LORD... Sweetie.... the drive to procreate is something we ALL have in spades!!! (it's just not possible to get a condom on a rat. :laugh4:)

Bati knows exactly what she is up against, she doesn't need handholding or coddling, she just wants us to be with her doing this unfortunate saga. Which we will be. :) People should realize that these things happen and that no amount of wishing will make it go away...it's just realism. If it had been a newbie in this situation I would've changed my wording, but Alexandra seemed to think "All will be alright"...not with preggy munchkins, they are designed to survive such adversity and most will carry to term. :lol:

I want all of you to think what an idiot, and never make my mistakes 8) the boys are still missing, the dog has been there but didn't find anything, but the place is not exactly tidy so I guess they are still in the rat-room, just hiding very well, at least they've been eating the food I put for them. Owner has calmed down too but we are both swearing and cursing at ourselves :?

Bati said:
I want all of you to think what an idiot, and never make my mistakes 8) the boys are still missing, the dog has been there but didn't find anything, but the place is not exactly tidy so I guess they are still in the rat-room, just hiding very well, at least they've been eating the food I put for them. Owner has calmed down too but we are both swearing and cursing at ourselves :?

Might want to check and make sure there is no way for the two missing boys to get back into the girl cage while they are out and about. Just a precaution.

The girls are in a cage of my own now, I will take no more chances and still have no idea how they escaped their new cage, the bar-spacing is narrow, no doors open, so they should have closed the escapedoor behind them?

Oh no, :shock: that is quite a situation. :( I hope for everyone's sake (them, you and your friend's) that the births are easy and the litters small :( keep us updated Bati :)

Finally I caught the last two boys, one bit me extremely hard (as I got hold of his tail and he didn't like that), everybody is behind lock now and the girls can not get out + if the boys get out they can not get to the girls, so I have stopped the disaster from going any bigger. Fingers crossed for small easy litters!

Bati said:
Finally I caught the last two boys, one bit me extremely hard (as I got hold of his tail and he didn't like that), everybody is behind lock now and the girls can not get out + if the boys get out they can not get to the girls, so I have stopped the disaster from going any bigger. Fingers crossed for small easy litters!

Ouch! I hope you are ok! Great that all are in the place where they belong!

That is extremely good news that the boys have been found.
I'm sorry that this has happened, it is unfortunate. I hope that you can find everyone great homes in your network of rat lovers.

I've got a note saying 13 girls and 14 boys, but I have 15 boys and I have this feeling that a girl is loose around, so back to cursing again, and no idea how to catch it (dog, traps, food in laundrybasket)

Bati, what a tough situation! My heart goes out to you.

It may be awhile before you catch the last boy. I once had a young ratty girl escape and stay out for 1 1/2 days before she got caught in the humane trap. I was going out of my mind with worry, but she was OK.

Best of luck managing this very unfortunate situation.

It has to be a girl who is out, but I'm annoyed not to know the exact number in each cage (the only thing I asked for!), what if two are out? what if some ran out a hole in the wall? anyway, I double-check every day, and all boys and girls are in their cages, don't believe they've been out and then gone back, so the droppings on the floor and the chewing on the cucumber is a tell tell - sooooo angry!

Bati said:
I've got a note saying 13 girls and 14 boys, but I have 15 boys and I have this feeling that a girl is loose around, so back to cursing again, and no idea how to catch it (dog, traps, food in laundrybasket)

15 boys and you should only have 14 boys? Like mamarat said, you might want to check through and make sure that the boys are all boys.

What kind of a cage were they in so we know to be careful if any of us were ever to get one?

I hope you find the last ones! have you tried staying the night in the rat room at their house and watching for anyone to come poking a nose or whisker out?

I have 14 girls (should have 13) - and yes trust me I paniced and double-checked, but all boys are boys, no doubt about it (have had a friend come check too). It's just to much of a mess for my taste, I know exactly how many I have grrrr, none are wild (even that has been considered)

I don't know the name of the cage, but we dont have those I see on the forum so no chance you'll get it.

Friday my own girls are moving out to prevent a disaster with my own, sad but they are wanted by a friend and I think that is what should be learned from this.

Back