Disaster

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bati

I am rat-sitting for a friend who's travelled away for the holidays. Just before travelling she got new cages for both boys and girls - today ... everybody had gone out, everybody was snugling up together, boys and girls. Several girls had that tell tell plug of having been mated...I am so sad, and even if it's not my fault I feel guilty. Washed the girls (as if that'd do any difference), we don't spay as it's too dangerous for the girls, so nothing to do but to wait. Youngest girl is 3 months, as is the youngest boy, as to the oldest girl I don't want to find out :cry: 13 girls in all :cry:

First day the girls had escaped, I put a big heavy box on top where I thought they'd gotten out, and they stayed in till today, so I have absolutely no idea how they got out. the cages have heavy big doors that I used and closed securely, but on the side is a small door, that just has to be pushed a bit ... I didn't see that, now it's tied up, but too late.

Hate new stupid cage, and will never ratsit ever again

Bati said:
I am rat-sitting for a friend who's travelled away for the holidays. Just before travelling she got new cages for both boys and girls - today ... everybody had gone out, everybody was snugling up together, boys and girls. Several girls had that tell tell plug of having been mated...I am so sad, and even if it's not my fault I feel guilty. Washed the girls (as if that'd do any difference), we don't spay as it's too dangerous for the girls, so nothing to do but to wait. Youngest girl is 3 months, as is the youngest boy, as to the oldest girl I don't want to find out :cry: 13 girls in all :cry:

Don't panic sweetie. Yes... there is a problem but it was not one that anyone could have foreseen.

The best thing I can think of to do is to is to separate the girls and boys into their separate cages and either secure the problematic side door or push the cage up against the wall so that they can't get it open.

Yes, your friend is going to have babies... plenty of them!!! If there is any way to contact her and let her know what happened... DO IT!!! She will need to be psychologically prepared for motherhood!

Things like this happen Bati. It isn't a crime and no one can be blamed. The best thing you can do is to face the challenge with faith and optimism. You and your girlfriend are rat lovers so even with the shock of all this... there will still be joy with the sweet little fur faces.

Be proactive. Once you are both certain that pregnancies are developing... start getting the word out for prospective homes for the young ones (once they are old enough). I have no doubt that you and your girlfriend will withstand this momentary catastrophe. I understand the shock you must be feeling but someone "upstairs" decided that things needed to happen this way.

Thank God it happened to you and your friend and not to someone who would have mistreated them.

You're going to be ok Bati... you're going to be ok. Have faith in yourself. :love6:

13 viable girls, all night to mess with the boys, probably 4-5 litters of 10 each...ouch! There's no faith involved, its called the drive to procreate and our rats have it in spades.

What did the owner say?

jennifervb said:
Thank God it happened to you and your friend and not to someone who would have mistreated them.

You're going to be ok Bati... you're going to be ok. Have faith in yourself. :love6:

That was so nicely said

5 were VERY obviously mated, so it will be many babies, from experience when you don't want any the litter will be around 15 :? . The owner just wrote 'sigh such ****' - we will be ok and take care of the babies, but this was so not meant to happen. They had exactly 24 hours between my visits and judging from no water beeing drunk in the girls cage they've been out for some 23 hours. Will take some of the boys, but must admit this have made me make up my mind, my appartment is NOT big enough for both boys and girls, so my girls have to go (to a friend who long have wanted some, and she's all right) and I'll not take in any girls before husband get's wellpaid job and buys a house for me.

Is missing two boys, have put up traps (human ofcorse) and will borrow hunting-dog tomorrow if the two boys don't show up.

Didn't feel like spoiling my friends hollydays but called Annbritt and she told me to prepare our friend for the disaster...oh how I want to swear at fate or procreation or any little innocent rat-girl in the world.

:( :( OH i am sad to hear this, but please don;t harm the babies, they are innocent, I AM JUST NOW LOSING MY OLDIES SAVED FROM A DUMPSTER OVER 2 YEARS AGO!

Oh no I am SO against any babykilling (humans or rats) so that's out of the question. I have actually calmed down a bit and now the disaster has happend I'm looking forwards to sweet babies any less than 50 will make me happy

:doh: Oh my! Well stuff happens, I have had a similiar thing happen but with mice, one male got out and into the girl cage, he ended up impregnating 7 females and we had 75 babies! We did over time end up finding homes for most of them. My heart goes out to you and I wish I was closer so that I could help you.
Keep us updated!

:D :D Oh Bati, I am so very glad to hear that, you know I had quite a nest of babies with 2 pg Moms found in a dumpster but I kept them all, one batch was borned on my birthday, they sure helped me through cancer & chemo, I used to get them all on my bed & mafe a giant rattie burger of babies, & kiss & sniff me tiny dolls, baby rats are so precious!

lilspaz68 said:
13 viable girls, all night to mess with the boys, probably 4-5 litters of 10 each...ouch! There's no faith involved, its called the drive to procreate and our rats have it in spades.

What did the owner say?

Great lilspaz! Tell someone who is faced with unplanned pregnancies that there is no faith involved. You're gonna have to give Bati a really good chocolate chip cookie for that one. 8)

LORD... Sweetie.... the drive to procreate is something we ALL have in spades!!! (it's just not possible to get a condom on a rat. :laugh4:)

Bati said:
jennifervb said:

That was so nicely said

5 were VERY obviously mated, so it will be many babies, from experience when you don't want any the litter will be around 15 :? . The owner just wrote 'sigh such ****' - we will be ok and take care of the babies, but this was so not meant to happen. They had exactly 24 hours between my visits and judging from no water beeing drunk in the girls cage they've been out for some 23 hours. Will take some of the boys, but must admit this have made me make up my mind, my appartment is NOT big enough for both boys and girls, so my girls have to go (to a friend who long have wanted some, and she's all right) and I'll not take in any girls before husband get's wellpaid job and buys a house for me.

Is missing two boys, have put up traps (human ofcorse) and will borrow hunting-dog tomorrow if the two boys don't show up.

Didn't feel like spoiling my friends hollydays but called Annbritt and she told me to prepare our friend for the disaster...oh how I want to swear at fate or procreation or any little innocent rat-girl in the world.

Tell your husband to start looking for a well paid job. I have no doubt that he has the talent. (hey, he was smart enough to marry you wasn't he? ;) :) !!!)

I have no doubt that the boys will turn up. Have you looked in closets, under the stove, in a shoe? :)

I've seen humane traps. It was a wooden box with a spring lever in it. You put the cheese on the lever and when the rat wandered into the cage and took the cheese, the door closed. I saw such a trap when I was in Crete on vacation one year. I can tell you... our "little" rat was HUGE!!!

(little rat man!!!!!) The hotel owner was amazed that I was such a fan of the little guy. :love6:

Back