diarrhea! help! Update - Day 4 on Meds

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I know, Typical eh. They won't drink the gatorade either :gaah: Rose is doing fine but Petunia needs some hydration, I have been soaking bits of bread in the electrolyte solution and petunia will only take it and eat it if she thinks Rose is going to take it from her, what a silly.

Rats are so picky about new foods. Here she is refusing exactly what would help her!

With mine, I sometimes have to add something ridiculously sugary or fatty to tempt them. Someone on the Forum suggested Cool Whip, which really helps. Linda uses Strawberry Nesquick, which has become a staple at my place. Banana mashed up is good, too.

Good luck!

Apple and Pear baby food works for me - something very sweet. I measure out the dose in the syringe and mix it in the apple on a spoon and either let them lick it off the spoon or suck it back into another syringe and slowly feed them it. Give them something irresistable, that they wouldnt normally get any other time :D

I add the meds to baby cereal, in a spoon. Sometimes they prefer to lick the meds off my finger too. Good luck with your sweetie.

thanks everyone for the suggestions :D you guys are always helpful, I'm off to look through my kitchen for some goodies

EDIT: So I found some cool whip at the bottom of my fridge, and took a soup mug with a good amount of the electrolyte and a spoon ful of cool whip and mixed it all up and stuck it in their cage, they are chowin down! :happydance: So happy! Hopefully Petunia will make it through all this ok :D

Yahoo! That's where the hardwired love that all mammals have for sugar & fat really comes in handy! When I am old & senile, I hope that someone remembers this... I'll have whipped cream or french fries or creme caramel with my meds. :lol:

So Petunia is looking Wonderful!!! :joy: She doesn't seem dehydrated although I'm still giving her some bread and electrolyte. I have not seen and liquid poopies :giggle: all day! She came out and was really active, even more than before this whole thing happened, bruxxed like crazy on my shoulder (she has only bruxxed once or twice before) and stood on her hind legs and gave me a gentle little nibble on the bottom lip! How Cute! She seems like she is really blossoming all of a sudden, maybe she wasn't feeling well all before this and is really getting healthy for the first time. She even licked my hand for a good 2 minutes when she went back to her cage. she is sleeping less than ever and playing with some of the toys in the cage for the first time! I don't think we're out of the woods yet but I'm so happy that we're almost there! :happydance:

Back