diarrhea! help! Update - Day 4 on Meds

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chel

I just noticed Petunia has diarrhea! :cry3: With the history of coccidia this is not good. I called the emergency line and they told me that since she seems fine (eating, drinking and hopping around) that I should just call my regular vet in the morning because it would be over $100.00 emergency call. I'm really frantic and scared, I have a midterm tomorrow so I can't really miss all my classes, but she WILL eb going to the vet one way or another, any thoughts until then?

It almost looks like clear fluid, but boy does it smell :?

A little yogurt may help as it contains natural probiotics that can restore natural intestinal flora.

In Debbie Ducommun's book it says yogurt containing active cultures can help - it's the probiotics in it that does the trick. But, Jorats is also a very experienced rat mum so I would also take her suggestion.

I gave them some fruit today, but she had diarrhea before she consumed it. I also gave her some oatmeal but I will give her soda crackers now. She's going to the vet tomorrow. I wish I had some yogourt.

Thanks

Well we just got back from the vet. Yup its the dreaded coccidia. I braved quite a storm to get there too, took me double the time to get there and back. They gave them both some meds, I asked what it was they said "its 125, its a sulfide medication" Not 100% sure if I repeated that back or if thats what they really said (sulfur, sufide etc) but I didn't want to sound like a turd and it doesn't say on the bottle :wallbang: . They also told me to give them some electrolytes which I picked up at the pharmacy, only they don't really like them and I'm not sure how much to give them. I've managed to get them to take some if only by pure force but I don't know if I gave them enough. Yesh. :gaah:

When you say you got electrolytes, what kind? Gastrolyte or a powder you put in water, or is it pre-mixed like a sports drink?

Hopefully the meds help!!

jorats said:
Pedialyte will work for ratties too.

It's Sulfadimethoxine... and used to treat coccidia.
Keeping my fingers crossed that it works.

Do you know what the dosage for the electrolytes is? They don't really like them so its hard to force them to take it....

where did you get those rats? i have had rats for 13yrs and have never come across coccidia in them. for this to happen they much have very very very poor stock that is very unhealthy and they should be reported.(if its a petstore)
kittens and puppies have outbreaks from coccidia too esp when they come from a petstore because they are taken from mom before 6wks and vaccinated then shipped accross the country then put on display and bought and taken home and more likely then not changed food on again. usually its from poor conditions and poor health and poor sanitation.

the s125 should work well, it does in dogs and cats.

I got them from Pets Unlimited before I knew better. I did call and complain and explain to them but they just shoved me off.

hmm ok I will make the call on Monday, still not sure what to say, I guess I will just tell them my story.

EDIT: I thought petunia was doing better, she had her second dose of meds today and has been unusually active, but I took her out and she seems dehydrated (if only a bit) from the skin test and had a very liquid poop while she was out and about. I'm really worried that the meds won't work, when should I see and improvement, and how can I get her to take the electrolytes?

see if your vet will call the spca as well to confirm what you tell them.
keep plying her with the electrolyte solution to keep her hydrated, rice is also good to feed.

Back