Devastating Tornado hits The Cozy Cavy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update from the Cozy Cavy facebook page:

"This morning we found out that Marsha was also in the hospital. Her back was had started to hurt and she was in a lot of pain. She has hurt her back and bruised her heart from when she was clinging to her children her breastbone went into her heart. She is ok and out of the hospital. My niece Kailyn is currently in ICU with a hole in her lung. She is stable at this time. Her dog was hurt in the tornado, but is doing ok also. Doug was able to find one of her guinea pigs, but there are still more missing along her her pet rats. I can not thank everyone enough for their thoughts and prayers during this tragic time. My mom leave tomorrow morning to go there...

...right now they are staying with a friend that wasn't hit by the disaster. Currently they have no house so they have no place to store donated things at this time. Prayers and thoughts are always welcome as there is never an overfilled heart from peoples kindness. I have seen that many people have donated directly to Marsha's paypal. When I talk to her I will let her know of the kindness that has been shared."

Oh gods...

A recurring nightmare I have is about tornadoes and scrambling to get all my rats (those over the Rainbow Bridge and those still alive) to the basement in my grandmother's farmhouse. A nightmare is one thing though, to actually live through that...

I'm sending up a lot of prayers tonight.

My heart breaks for Marsha and her family, I do pray they can find more of her pets. I was looking at her GP's... my eyes are filled with tears. Sending my love, thoughts, prayers and most of all strength to this family. I wish I could do more :(

How devastating! I don't think we can ever truly know what it's like to lose everything unless we experience it. I always feel that a house can be replaced, but to lose your babies would break my heart. I'm so sorry for what she's going through, what everyone is going through....

Heartbreaking. I can't even begin to imagine what her family must be going through right now. Add the animals to it, and just...wow. Her family, and all affected by the tornados - both human and animal - are in my prayers. No one should ever have to go through something like this.

Updates on Marsha: The guinea pig they found was Emma, shaken but alive & well. Marsha's daughter is off oxygen & breathing on her own. & the current raised on SAGP is now over $6,000, which is not including many of us who donated to her personal paypal or sent checks. ♥

Emma
Emma+2.jpg

For the premade items we're selling for Marsha, would there be any interest in doing it auction style (starting bid & let it bid up?). More might be raised that way, & since we'll be donating all except shipping costs, we're hoping some might be inclined to bid them up considering it will be like donating & getting hammocks while doing so. Let me know what you think.

I'm hoping to auction premades for Marsha. I'd like to avoid auction sites due to the extra fees. I tried searching for a widget but found none. So far the best I can come up with is:
- host on one of the forums, but that might exclude non-members who don't have access to post.
- list the photo on facebook & let people bid through the comments

I tried setting up a blog page on my webpage, but there is no option for keeping the comment default as "displayed", which makes it difficult. Any ideas?

Unless there's some sort of forum for guinea-pig owners (so you could do an auction on their site too) I'd say stick to here.

I do believe my rats are dying for some hammocks... :wink:

Are there any areas to post the topic that aren't "member only" that people can still post if they aren't members? I suppose if not I can try the first premades & see how it turns out. :thumbup:

It wouldn't work here since everyone needs to be a member to post. But I would try facebook, facebook is definitely the biggest venue. Set it up where it's a link so people can share on their walls which will get you a greater audience. Accept bids via messages only, and update on the original link/post.

I agree with Jo. If there are people on the forum interested that don't have FB they can always message you as well and you can list their bids on FB along with the others.

Update on WEAVER via GuineaLynx: She's found all but one of her pigs and six of the ratties...Sadly, not everyone made it. Of the piggies, only four survived (that's including Emma, the one found earlier). Of the rats, two passed away, one needs vet care, and the other three are just fine.

That is wonderful news. That she found some, and even if she did find they had passed. Not knowing would be even worse.

Back