Depressed and numb......Guinness 1/23/08 update

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunzwithRatz

Orange, So California (Rotterdam, NL Originally)
Sorry I have not been around too much lately. My boy Guinness the one who will be on Animal planet in February (the 9th is when the show starts) Is terminally ill. I descovered a large mass in his abdomin last week. It was discovered after seeing him walking funny, his sides were sunken in and he was not walking very well. I then discovered the mass. I gave him some Metacam and Baytril. The following morning he was back to normal, bouncing and climbing the bars for my attention. I felt for the mass again and it was smaller, but it was still there. I decided a vet trip was in order. We went down to the vet and had x-rays done. They showed a mass, but could not determine what exactly it was. So he stayed there for exploratory surgery. I later received a call with the bad news stating he has a large Tumor claiming his kidneys, bladder and prostate. Non operable because its vascular. The worst news I have ever received. All we can do at this time is keep him as comfortable as possible. Feed his tomatoes and broccoli if he'll eat it. He is on Metacam and baytril now.
I took him home and got him all settled in lots of fluffy blankets and towels. Off to the store I went to get things for him. As I was walking thru the store I think it finally hit me and I had a meltdown in Henry's. One of the clerks helped me find some liquid (saw something or another) to help for the prostate. I checked out quickly and ran home. Poor clerk I must have just depressed her as I blubbered on about my pet, my baby.
He is not eating much, I cant get him to eat anything except baby oatmeal from a spoon. However he is drinking his water. He has not been his bubbly self since and is healing at an increadably slow rate. I fear tha by doing the exploratory surgery it escalated his condition. I keep battling with the decision I made to have that done, if I hadnt, would he still be bouncing on the bars eager to see me, instead of lying on the cage bottom. I hate this.
It seems to be going up and down, just when I think things are at the worst, he will do something to lift my spirits, last night he had climed to the top of the cage and was sleeping in his hammock. This morning, I had to wipe runny poos from his bottom and he was not moving very well. Poo's on the bottom, does this mean he is eating on his own when I am not around? Hopeful once again.
Please anyone with advise on this I could sure use some helpful insites. I am hurting very bad right now.
He is the boy in my avatar if you are wondering.
Edit to add picture
PIC-0006.jpg

***update***
Guinness passed away this morning in his hammock at 5:30 this morning. His breathing was very laboured. I went to go make him breakfast and when I returned he had passed. I cant describe how I am feeling right now. My baby is gone......... :cry:

Oh god... I'm so sorry.
I think it's one of the worst things, bringing a rat home only to be on a watch for when it's time to have them pts.
Lots of cuddles for you and your sweetie. :cries:

I'm so sorry. I too had a girl come home after an exploratory. Nothing could be done but she lived for another month. She was on metacam and was back exploring and eating for that month. Love your little man and give him whatever he wants. To them, a month is a long time. Kisses to Guinness. Hugs to you.

Oh Mindy I am so VERY sorry ((((HUGE HUGS)))). You have always done what is best for the rats, please don't start questioning yourself now.

:grouphug2:

I'm so sorry. :( What a hard time for you. Might I ask what show it is, I would love to watch it. ((both of you))

LA said:
I'm so sorry. :( What a hard time for you. Might I ask what show it is, I would love to watch it. ((both of you))

The show will be airing on February 9th called petfinder. Guinness will not be on til the 4th episode. There is also another show called Teachers pet that he will be on. I dont know the details of that one yet.

Thanks everyone, your support and understanding makes it seen a bit better. Just to be surrounded by people who understand and really care. Thanks again.

I am so sorry. It's so hard to have to make those decisions when there is no way of predicting what will turn out best. Guiness knows what a good ratty mama you have been to him.

Please take care of yourself and enjoy the remaining time with your dear Guiness.

I am so sorry to hear about your Guinness. :cry: You cannot know if the surgery or the masses are the ones that started the downturn. It can be very sudden.

My Pippens had a mass that took over his abdomen and he was happy and active until he was not. I had him pts when he told me it was time. Your Guinness just saved you the decision.

My thoughts are with you. ((hugs))

Oh.. how truly sad. I'm so very sorry. He was such a beauty and so truly loved. You are a wonderful mom... and Guinness is letting everyone know just how special his life with you was. Until you both meet again...

I'm very sorry. Guiness always reminded me so much of your neices' rat, Ace. Such sweet kids.

((((hugs)))) to you. Play hard at the bridge sweet Guiness, don't forget to come visit your mama though. :tearful:

I'm so sorry :( What a sweetie you had there. I remember how you "introduced" him to the forum, it was just wonderful.

Back