Dennis - neutered 8 days ago, doing really well :)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I´ve never had to neuter because of dominance or aggression(yet).. But it definitely calms them down and makes them more mellow..

Neutering was the plan all along and I hope it works, he really seems like he wants attention, he'll happily climb on my lap and takes (most) treats gently :) I just want to squish him and kiss his big white tummy :p not a good idea yet I know!

:dance: I don't know what it is about a rattie tummy that makes one wanna smooch it!! :tumkiss: It's like that with all my fuzz butts' tummies too! :nod:

That's sad to hear how he was kept and even with how the rest of the animals are in there, sounds pretty crazy. I'm sure he'll be fine soon and then you can give him tummy kisses. xD; I did so to my young fella today and he was like "o.o" lol. It was funny.

He's a very confusing little man, sometimes he'll be ok with me being near his cage and talking to him and sometimes he'll be a bit huffy at me. Otherwise he seems quite relaxed in his cage, taking him back to mine today (staying with my bf) and getting a neuter booked asap!

Oh, he also seems to HATE leather gloves near him, he'll just bite straight through them. What can I use to handle him if he's gone into a frenzy after biting? Or do I just walk away from him and leave him alone instead of putting him back to his cage?

Big man has been booked in for his castrate on thursday, but he has just started sneezing persistantly? he has changed from wood shavings to carefresh with yesterdays news mixed in, could that be it? Or the stress of moving? He is too unhandlable to get baytril in by mouth is my concern :(

I hear the best thing to do with him if he's biting is to throw a towel over the rat to be able to pick him up and move him to a neutral territory, like the bathtub to calm down. Make sure the towel isn't tall enough to allow him to jump out. The towel can be put over him and you can scoop him up and he can still breath and he's away from your hands if you kinda, twirl it up so it's sorta a pouch sorta thing and he's not gona get hurt.

Carefresh is a little dusty, but not as bad as some things, plus when you change bedding, they seem to sneeze a bit due to the change, but they should be fine in a few days. Also, if you see a little discharge from their eyes or nose that looks red, it's not blood- it's this mucus sorta stuff and it's normal, but it does mean there's some irritation. I usually have taken them from the cage to let them get some more fresh air in another room or something.

Also, when you try to get him use to you and such, you can put your hand in the cage to let him know you're not going to hurt him, but don't touch him. Move stuff around in the cage while he's in there. Obviously if he tries to bite you, remove your hand. Have treats with you too. Also I hear that getting them to trust you with like, yogurt or applesauce (or even some sweet baby foods) on a plastic spoon (that way he can snatch it and run to eat it) it'll help him bond with you in a way. You could try that too?

Good luck with the neuter!

Well dennis has no balls now...did he bite the vet? no! And he even let me pick him up today...I'm gunna put that down to the drugs and anaesthetic, he'll probably hate me tomorrow :p what does everone use here for substrate? I see lots of people use shelf liners, what do these do exactly?

Its amazing the difference in Dennis, he's much more chilled, has lost his excess weight and now can be picked up and kissed on the head :) but he's had a suture reaction in his man parts bless him, my vet where I work (she didn't do the procedure) suggests baytril and just keeping it clean? Does this sound ok? its not too inflammed and only bothered him when I was palpating it to get out the pus.

Back