definitely a noob

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skittlesxx

Hey =)
I've never been part of a forum before, so I don't know all the workings of it, but I'm sure in time I'll figure it out. Anyways-onto my story:

My names Marnie, I'm 17, and live in a small town outside of Guelph. My rat history started quite a while ago, with my brother who used to have rats, although I don't remember too much about them. Then a couple years ago I decided it was time I got some of my own. I adopted three big males from a local humane society, named Sammy, Frankie and Dean (after the rat pack). Sammy was a black hooded, Frankie a beige hooded and Dean was a berkshire (agouti I'm thinking but he was more of just a solid brown). I had them for about 1 1/2 years of fun before Dean passed away, and quickly behind him were Sammy and Frankie. I miss them greatly, and after being convinced for quite some time by my mom that I shouldn't get any more rats (she even threw out all my stuff) I've decided to adopt some more. So thats why I've joined this site, and I think I've already found someone to help out. You can never know too much info though, and I'm hoping to get girls this time, so I think I'll stick around! =)

Hi and welcome! as for the noob thing - we all were at one point. (I still am :nod: ) but there are tonnes of really great and knowledgeable folks here.

thank you all for the warm welcome =)
I have my first question. The rats I am adopting are just babies, and the rat pack was all full grown. So, what diet and care changes do I need to make for the little ones?
PS- yes DarkBlade I agree, although the rats at my local petshop are adorable and I would love to save them, it would just be supporting the whole thing =(

Welcome to the shack! You'll learn sooo much here for sure.
The diet for babies isn't much different to adults. They should have a good lab block and then fruits and veggies. There's a list on here somewhere I think in the diet section for forbidden fruits and veggies you shouldn't give to your ratties. For instance males shouldn't have oranges as it can cause cancer.
You'll learn lots here to help your new babies!

Oh okae, I read somewhere that babies may not really like the taste of lab blocks, but I get the HT ones, so maybe they won't mind them?

lilspaz- I believe when i get them they'll be about 5 or 6 weeks. Right now they're still in the pinkie stage, and the lady said they won't be ready for at least 4 weeks, so thats just my guess =P

Ewa-thank you =) I'm thinking Kita and Dea, and if I do get 3 then I had a good name for the third, but I forget it! =( lol hopefully it will come back to me.

skittlesxx said:
Oh okae, I read somewhere that babies may not really like the taste of lab blocks, but I get the HT ones, so maybe they won't mind them?

lilspaz- I believe when i get them they'll be about 5 or 6 weeks. Right now they're still in the pinkie stage, and the lady said they won't be ready for at least 4 weeks, so thats just my guess =P

Ewa-thank you =) I'm thinking Kita and Dea, and if I do get 3 then I had a good name for the third, but I forget it! =( lol hopefully it will come back to me.

haha! That happens to me all the time!

Back