Dax Neutering

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone...yes I'm sorry for not posting earlier yesterday, but yes...its true Dax didn't make it.

The 2 experts who worked hard to try and give him the best life possible, felt no matter what they did, his life wouldn't be forfilling after they had finished. He was fading fast on the operating table and they concluded, he would always have infections, he'd always be in pain, and he'd never have control of his bladder ever again. That is no way for a life of any animal or human for that matter, to always be in pain and on medicine with no control of your bladder. But as they conjured this during the operation, he made that decision and faded away on his own...

The vet who supervised his first, and last surgery, was crying when she called me, and said no hesitation that she'd pay me back for the failed neutering, and intrest of what I paid to get Dax in the first place, which all should add up to about 198$, with all the sincerest apologies for putting us both through this horrible experience. I believe she was sincere in the loss, and even if I had the anger to want to sue...it'd be a waste of my time, and money knowing that they made the mistake, and tried to fix it without any expense to me other then emotions...and just the loss in general...

The only good news is that I did find Gyro. The little bugger was where I infact last saw him, hiding under teh bookcase. The bookcase had a gap under it where it was just big enough for him to fit under in the back. I didn't know this though, and blocked off his escape route. Thats why I never heard him squeak, he wasn't hurt, he was just trapped, for over 2hrs I would guess. Just when I was about to give up, i tried one last time to find him by letting my other boys take the risk to find him, Nes and Gizmo. Well my good alpha Gizmo kept going to the bookcase several times. I was like "He's not there I searched several times..."

Gizmo: *looks at me* check again silly!

So I sighed, and pulled the bookcase out again, moved everything blocking it, and sure enough, OUT popped Gyro's head in surprise. I didn't yell at him or get angry, I bursted into tears, scooped him up and kissed him as much he'd let me and put him back in with his brothers. So thats one crises averted. I knew he never left my room it just didn't make sense how he vanished like that, till now. So i've blocked off that particular hiding place of his, so I won't think to check there if he turns out missing.

With that...I leave this in memory of Dax...

I got Dax, along with Gyro and Nes, in San Antonio TX from a breeder in what I hate to say, but less then nice setup, aka ghetto/whate trash part of the city. The breeder however was sincere and appeared to love her animals, all in good condition and big and healthy. When I picked out Dax, he was 4weeks old, and already I could tell he was a fireball.

When I brought him home, I realized just how small he was, no bigger then my thumb, and meaning he was way too small to be awhile from his mama. So with time and patience I nurished him up to a proper weight and he grew rapidly. I was very happy to see he was gonna be a big little nakie :) But problems did arise with his fireball personality. Every night he would pester his dumbo brother Nes with constant humping and chasing, every night and parts of the day. Nes would erupt in a series of squeaking that no one in my room could properly rest. It continued on since day one I brought them home, and it never slowed down. So I made the decision to have Dax neutered, and hoped that once it was over, his urge to pester Nes would stop or at least slow down.

:sad3: Unfortunetly we all know this didn't come to pass...And so I hope Dax is over the bridge, and is making new friends with my former rats in a much happier place...

RIP Dax, my sweet baby nakie...and I hope you can forgive me :cry4:

Jan 16, 2012 - May 4, 2012

DaxPad.jpg

Dax's Last Days with us:

FinalGroupPicturefarewellDax.jpg

DaxCuddles.jpg

DaxCuddles3.jpg

DaxCuddles2.jpg

These I took last night seeing as my boys were alot more quiet then usual...it almost feels like they know or sense my sadness...

WeMissDax.jpg

WeMissDax2-1.jpg

Sent another pm but of course it's once again stuck in the outbox. Anyway I am so sorry for your loss. Dax does forgive you and he knows you did what you did out of love. He is in peace now and with your others like you said. While it was short you did give Dax great life and he was very lucky to have you as his mama. Play hard little buddy <3

Silly Gyro!! Smart Gizmo!

I am so very sorry about Dax, but your're right about the anger. Another good reason not to get angry (at least to them personally) is that everytime your rats go in for something, they will probably be extra careful and attentive with them.

((hugs)))

I'm really sorry again that you had to go through this. I'd like to look at it as a sign that something more serious could have happened later on and it saved you from it. He was able to go with no pain.

Lovely memorial.

<3

Oh no!!! I'm so sorry!!! :cry4:

You were so nervous about the intervention for so long, and it turned out so bad... poor Dax, and poor you! That poor little boy sure didn't deserve what he's gone through, and you didn't deserve any of this anguish and pain. I'm speechless. At least, the clinic is taking responsibility for the mess and as Shelagh said, they will be treating your cases very carefully from now on.

I can't start imagining how you're feeling right now. (((((((hugs))))))) to you... :sad3:

Oh dear, I missed this thread for a couple of days......
I am SO sorry Dax didn't make it. It is horrible that mistakes happen, but they do. At least the vets were willing to take responsibility and own up to it and try and make it right.
I hope your boys can give you extra rattie kisses to help heal your heart...
RIP little boy, play hard at the bridge.
:hugs:

Thank you all everyone, its nice to know we, me and my boys, have support here, *hugs to all of you!*

Well most likely tomrrow I'll be going back to the vet to pick up his cage...and water bottle... :( and i think my vet took the liberty of making me a paw print memorial keep sake for me as an extra apology for everything we went through. She was very sympathetic with me, trying her best not to cry herself. This was a first time this has happened in her clinic from the sounds of it and still cannot understand how horribly wrong it went. But maybe now their clinic had learned something from this and this situation can be avoided for the next rattie owner.

:hugs:

Everyone has already said many of the words that have come to my mind.
I'm so sorry about all of this. Its a very horrible thing to have to go through.

:hugs: again

Rest peacefully Dax.

Back