Dash attacked...need Prayers. pics included GRAPHIC!!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres his wound today. Its looking better. I keep it clean and use triple antibiotic ointment and tomorrow I get vet wrap. Ive been using a sock. It kindaworks but he wiggles out of it. The chunk of skin at the top is loose but the vet said to leave it. As it heals it will fall off. They cannot cut it off without knocking him out. And they dont want to risk anes. Him right now. He is on more pain meds and antibiotics. Hes being a good boy about cleaning it and meds etc though

2i6fbf9.jpg

Heres his wound today. Its looking better. I keep it clean and use triple antibiotic ointment and tomorrow I get vet wrap. Ive been using a sock. It kindaworks but he wiggles out of it. The chunk of skin at the top is loose but the vet said to leave it. As it heals it will fall off. They cannot cut it off without knocking him out. And they dont want to risk anes. Him right now. He is on more pain meds and antibiotics. Hes being a good boy about cleaning it and meds etc though

2i6fbf9.jpg

What a mess. What the heck did it look like when he was first bitten? This needs debridement. Why are they worried about anesthesia to clean up this wound? In this case it would not be surgical plane anesthesia, more of a whiff for a chemical restraint so they can trim off the dead tissue and clean it up. Leaving that skin hanging like that is inviting infection...he's trying to do the right thing and debride it himself.

I would find a different vet before he passes away due to this. There is no reason to leave that a mess like that. He is young enough he should be able to handle the gas for a clean up surgery.

I'm gonna have to agree. The wound did not look nearly that gnarly when it first happened. Now it looks really raw and that tissue definitely needs to be trimmed.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

He has another appt soon this weekend. They are gonna trim that off. I have a job interview tomorrow so I cannot take him tomorrow. oh and its the only exotic vet anywhere near my area. The next one is 2hrs away. I dont have a vehicle right now or I would take him elsewhere. I just changed the vet I was seeing. Thrre are 7 total in by clinic. So I switched the the older more wise exotic vet.

How is Dash doing? I had a rat BookieChoo with similar bad wounds on her tummy and she was able to heal up very quickly with at home under my care. This is what I did
-keep her on baytril for infection
-also offer children's ibuprofen (grape flvr they like) for pain/swelling
-kept her in a smaller (crittertrails basic cage) cage with thick layers of paper towels on the floor as cushioning. The paper towels would let me know any type of discharge coming from her wounds, and I change it out every day. I used tons but she healed so quick I didn't have to do it for long. Also, as I did not wrap her wound or bandage it, it provided the best type of clean surface for her while still allowing her wound to breathe and not irritate her with uncomfortable bandages or cones or stressful daily wrapping.
-every morning, I would take her out to clean. Sometimes I would let her soak a bit in a shallow warm bath click here to see Bookie the Bathing Beauty if the wound looked like it was dirty at all or had anything stuck in there or any infectious bits. Then, I dry her off and move on to the next thing...
-After the wounds were clean and dry, I would thoroughly rinse with click here-band-aid wound wash. Most the time I would rinse her twice a day, morning/nite.
-After all this stuff is done, I would change out the paper towels in the bottom of her rest'n'relax cage, make sure she's not dripping/soaking wet, and then let her back in.
- several times a day I'd pick thru the cage and remove any poops or food pieces, anything that could become germy or stick to her wounds.
Let us know how poor Dash is doing. Since u r acquiring a few rats, I'd like to offer my experience with that....always, always, spay your females ASAP. Because I did not know to do this right away when I got mine, I'm now paying to have tons of tumors removed and then spay them if that's possible afterwards, even tho spaying later in life is not as effective. They're angels and I'd give my last dollar for them, but for the sake of my financial stability and for putting them thru less surgery, I really wish I'd known to do it when they were young. Anyhoo, let us know how things are going! Hugggs and good vibes for you and your familieeew :blowbub:

Yep I'm thinking about Dash too, I wanna see how he is, poor guy! I thought my Bookie had healed up from her similar wounds well, but now she is having some problems. One is an abcess that keeps draining out (thankfully) the other prob is that she had a little live skin flap like Dash does, and it healed up but there's still one small scab above it, but the flap of skin turned into like, this ball of scar tissue beside it. It almost looks like another abcess that might pop but I really think it's that ball of skin. I hope isn't dying under there and causing more infection. I'm keeping a close eye on it, and she's got an appointment first available, so, we'll see.
I wanted to say that neosporin may not be the best kind of thing to put on that type of wound. This is because he'll lick it off, and it keeps the wound too moist/barrier. Also, it will make things stick to the wound. Yea, definitely don't put that. I used this http://www.drugstore.com/band-aid-antiseptic-wash-hurt-free/qxp68774 great stuff, rinse him off maybe 2x daily and see my above post for keeping his environment as sterile as possible.
Please write us back soon! I feel so bad for little Dash :( give him extra hugs and kisses and love, from me!

He is doing well. Healing nicely now. They clipped off that extra skin. He does have a abscess that is draining but its looking good still on good antibiotics. He doesnt bother ointment because I have it wrapped. I also have a vet antiseptic cleaner he gets 2 times a day. Ill get pics up soonn gaining weight and eating well. Getting lots of lovey time. Thank you all for asking about him. With the fosters I have alot to post about but everyone is getting good care since in still at home all day because not working stilln

Back